The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

from .com

Reacting to recent speculation about an alleged bid for Newcastle's Shola Ameobi, Ipswich Town boss Jim Magilton commented:

"We have made an enquiry about Shola but not a bid. The lad has just got married and has been away on his honeymoon which we have not wanted to interrupt.

“When he gets back I'm hoping to be able to speak to him personally. A lot of things so far have been done through intermediaries but until I can speak to the lad myself we can't move on.

The 26 year-old forward last appeared for the Magpies in January 2008 and spent the closing months of last season on loan at Stoke City (although he only played a minor part in their successful promotion bid).

However, talk that a permanent deal would follow for Ameobi at the Britannia Stadium proved to be false and the Tractor Boys were then said to be in pole position to sign him, for a fee that could ultimately rise to £3.5m.

Noises from the player's agent about his client not ruling out a reunion with former boss Glenn Roeder down at Norwich seemed to conflict with the local Norfolk press, who had dismissed any Canaries bid on financial grounds.

It's now claimed that Ameobi is unwilling to drop down to the Championship and if no prospective Premier purchaser emerges, could elect run down the final year of his current contract at SJP.

Guest teepee

jesus, there are enough takers, now we just need to get him to accept that is will never be the new nr 9 for us!

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1028501/Baggies-set-2-5m-Newcastle-striker-Ameobi.html?ITO=1490

Baggies set for £2.5m Newcastle striker Ameobi

West Bromwich are set to complete a £2.5m deal for Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi.

He has also been chased by Norwich, Ipswich and Stoke, where he was on loan last season.

The signing of Ameobi will take Albion boss Tony Mowbray's spending on strikers this summer to £8.3m.

He paid £3.5m for Aston Villa's Luke Moore and £2.3m to Hearts for Roman Bednar.