Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/12/premierleague.newcastleunited

...agreed a four-year contract with the Magpies in a £1m move from Liverpool.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1034377/Newcastle-agree-fee-Liverpool-Guthrie.html

...captured young Liverpool midfielder Danny Guthrie for £2million.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/07/12/keane-chase-steps-up-as-guthrie-departs-64375-21328886/

...Liverpool accepted their £2.25million offer for the player.

:laugh:

By "gave him a chance" he means he didn't write him off before he'd even worn the shirt like most did. Doesn't mean he was necessarily happy with it but was rational enough to realise ranting and raving wouldn't help

By "gave him a chance" he means he didn't write him off before he'd even worn the shirt like most did. Doesn't mean he was necessarily happy with it but was rational enough to realise ranting and raving wouldn't help

Ah right, good on him then. :razz:

Still, i can forgive people for going apeshit when at 11:45pm on August 31st, they're waiting for a photo Miroslav Klose holding up a black and white shirt with a huge grin on his big German face. When they get Sibierski's eyebrows.

Pretty happy with it. Not often we've gone for promising players who are young on the cheap. Obviously we need to sign some older/better quality players alongside him though.

Good luck to him.

Sibierski wasn't great by any stretch, but he was certainly a player who outdid his expectation by a ridiculously high margin. The reaction when we signed him man. :lol:

I think I was one of about three who gave him a chance.

Then you were as deluded as the other two. After constant talk of the likes of Kuyt and Klose all summer, people were darned right to be f***ed off when Antoine Sibierski came in to replace Alan Shearer. :lol:

Disclaimer: I know, Sibierski wasn't a direct replacement for Shearer.

Not really, I saw he had a bit of ability, and that he could do a job. Maybe its because I dont have high expectations or something. Expect the worst and get pleasantly surprised if it works.

New to this board so easy lads. 

The Guthrie signing could turn be okay at 2mil and in todays transfer market it's pretty low risk.  We still desperately need PROVEN quality in the middle of the park with or without him.  We were overran by the better sides in the league last season.  Guthrie, Butt and Barton would provide depth but as far as I'm concerned the #1 priority this summer is the central midfield.

Seb Larrson? Kind of falls into the category of the aforementioned players we currently have on our books, granted we don't have European football, but a fairly average player who couldn't even break into a terrible Sweden squad at the euros does not convince me.  We need to forget him and move towards players like Stephan Appiah who would be absolute quality in the middle of the park, don't know if Fener would let him go, but a quality attacking midfielder alongside him would instantly make us a top eight side.

Only time will tell who we sign, but if players like Larsson and Guthrie are being relied upon to pick us up after a terribly disappointing season then it is not a good sign.

I don't think too many, if any are happy with our midfield.  Personally I would like to see us bring in a quality replacement for Butt and I would like to see us bring in a midfielder who can split defences with one pass that can put us through on goal.

these players grow on trees and nobody else is looking for him

these players grow on trees and nobody else is looking for him

And that is why we might not get what we need or want, it's good of you to recognise that though unlike some.

Rather underwhelmed by this signing.  Ashley seems to have adopted the policy the club and the rest of the top flight teams had back in the 60's and 70's - signing Liverpool reserve/fringe players, the reasoning being that as the Liverpool first team was so far ahead of the rest, i.e. numerous league titles, domestic and european trophies, their reserves must by default be at least top flight quality.  You wait, it will be Evans from Manu next then perhaps an Arsenal reserve and dare I say it?  perhaps a spurs cast off too!!!

missed this one, but its spot on based on what we've seen so far. Quite amazing how some people continue to choose not to recognise it just because it means ackonwledging the old board actually did something right and soopa Mike might not be so soopa after all.

We can't quite hear the sound of pennies dropping just yet ........

Rather underwhelmed by this signing.  Ashley seems to have adopted the policy the club and the rest of the top flight teams had back in the 60's and 70's - signing Liverpool reserve/fringe players, the reasoning being that as the Liverpool first team was so far ahead of the rest, i.e. numerous league titles, domestic and european trophies, their reserves must by default be at least top flight quality.  You wait, it will be Evans from Manu next then perhaps an Arsenal reserve and dare I say it?  perhaps a spurs cast off too!!!

missed this one, but its spot on based on what we've seen so far. Quite amazing how some people continue to choose not to recognise it just because it means ackonwledging the old board actually did something right and soopa Mike might not be so soopa after all.

Are you suggesting we never signed reserve/fringe players from the top clubs under the previous board? Think carefully before you answer.

You mean the old board who signed Babayaro, Parker, Rossi, Duff etc etc?

thats simply not true, some people are optimistic whatever happens, its in their nature. thats one of the most obsessed comments i've seen from you in a while.

Are you suggesting we never signed reserve/fringe players from the top clubs under the previous board? Think carefully before you answer.

I'm glad to see you're admitting you're prepared to accept second best Dave.............

And so the 10 pager begins.

We also signed top notch players and paid the going rate, which is how we qualified for the Champs League and europe so often.

Competing at the level of the likes of pompey and Blackburn isn't really how I think NUFC should be run. Stand by for years of real mediocrity if thats what you want Dave. The truth is that clubs like Blackburn are currently doing the best of about 40 or 50 teams competing at that level, thats all. Newcastle are bigger than that.

We also signed top notch players and paid the going rate, which is how we qualified for the Champs League and europe so often.

Competing at the level of the likes of pompey and Blackburn isn't really how I think NUFC should be run. Stand by for years of real mediocrity if thats what you want Dave. The truth is that clubs like Blackburn are currently doing the best of about 40 or 50 teams competing at that level, thats all. Newcastle are bigger than that.

I didn't spot an answer in there.

If this is the only type of player we sign you'll have a point. As it is, we've also signed a player Portsmouth wanted for £8m and there's six weeks of the window left.

thats simply not true, some people are optimistic whatever happens, its in their nature. thats one of the most obsessed comments i've seen from you in a while.

that would be more convincing if mick himself said that, and acknowledged that the new one have a lot to do to match it.

Anyway, I'm also off out.