BBC or ITV commentary/punditry?

Syrette
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sky.

BBC are generally the better of these two though.

Both channels have fairly decent punditry. Both channels have fairly dire commentary, especially co-commentators. I'm struggling to think of a decent co-commentator. For the Euros it's generally been: Lawrenson/Bright on BBC, Pleat/Beglin on ITV. :undecided:

Jon Champion is the best commentator imo.

David Pleat is shocking on the ITV commentaries, in the group stages he kept referring to the Czech republic as the republic of Czechoslovakia and seems to have a shocking background knowledge compared to the BBC lot who seem to know their stuff whereas Pleat just sounds like a disorientated old fart.

Aye. The other commentator didn't even correct him either. Motson does something similar but not so stupid.

"That special night in Barcelona"

Aye that's the one I was really looking for.

What a prick.

Shearer is a crap pundit tbf. Just agrees with everything Hansen says. I've liked ITV's better. Think Gary Neville will be an excellent pundit if he decides to go down that route once he's retired.

I don't mind Lineker and Shearer. Hansen used to be spot on but he's trying too hard now.

Martin O'Neill is excellent though.

Having read through the 3 pages of very much spot on comments I ask myself... who at ITV and the BBC employs these useless arseholes ??

There must be better people out there with intelligent or genuinely witty things to say

Shearer is a crap pundit tbf. Just agrees with everything Hansen says. I've liked ITV's better. Think Gary Neville will be an excellent pundit if he decides to go down that route once he's retired.

I don't mind Lineker and Shearer. Hansen used to be spot on but he's trying too hard now.

Martin O'Neill is excellent though.

Shearer's not so bad when he actually talks about the football, rather than coming out with the favouritism shite (re: England) that BBC has officially adopted. "John Terry is a great man", "Beckham deserves his place in the side", "McClaren isn't a bad manager", etc.

I always used to mock people who thought he sounded boring, but during this tournament ive consistently felt the urge to put my head on the pillow every time he's opened his mouth.

Only states the obvious, repeats himself often in a monotonous fashion (even from game to game), rarely says anything controversial, and his jokes are plain and simple woeful.

There've been worse though, eg Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank barely able to string a sentance together in English.

I always used to mock people who thought he sounded boring, but during this tournament ive consistently felt the urge to put my head on the pillow every time he's opened his mouth.

Only states the obvious, repeats himself often in a monotonous fashion (even from game to game), rarely says anything controversial, and his jokes are plain and simple woeful.

then again martin o'neill sounds like a charva who wants a fight (which he most certainly aint)

BBC does sport very well, can't wait for the olympics. Only thing ITV is good for is the F1, but the beeb are getting that next year.

Sort of goes without saying but ITV's F1 coverage is more or less ruined by the constant adverts.

BBC does sport very well, can't wait for the olympics. Only thing ITV is good for is the F1, but the beeb are getting that next year.

Looking forward to seeing how the Beeb's interactive service will be utilised.

The ultimate pundity line up would be:-

Ant and Dec in the studio with Shearer, O'Neill and Al Murray (Pub Landlord)

With Frank Skinner and David Baddiel commentating

That's how license fee should be spent

O0

Looking forward to seeing how the Beeb's interactive service will be utilised.

Last olympics was really good, though this time should be better with the BBC online services. I can see you being able to watch pretty much anything you want on the BBC website, and hopefully the "red button" will have 8 channels like it did last time.

In terms of interactive stuff the BBC pisses all over ITV and sky.

Guest Jawesome

I hope they bring back the music.  Also same for cricket.  Love them to get that back too.

Motson's commentary at times made me wish there was a button to have only the game sounds. Should have retired a while back.

The BBC has cottoned on to what the rest of us have known for some time: John Motson has lost his marbles. Motty is being pensioned off after tonight's Euro 2008 final. As he hangs up the famous sheepskin coat, Pies recalls some of his finest moments.

1. "And I suppose Spurs are nearer to being out of the FA Cup now than at any other time since the first half of this season, when they weren't ever in it anyway."

2. "Actually, none of the players are wearing earrings. Kjeldberg, with his contact lenses is the closest we can get."

3. "If David Beckham claims that goal, it will be only the second goal he has scored for England... well, no, it won't be... it'll be the fourth or fifth free kick, I think... but certainly the one in Sapporo is the one we remember most in recent times... but how often has he changed the direction of the game for England?"

4. "And Seaman, just like a falling oak, manages to change direction."

5. "What a time to score... 27 minutes!"

6. "The Czech Republic are coming from behind in more than one way now."

7. "Apparently, Clint Dempsey is a freestyle rapper - whatever that means."

8. "For those of you watching in black and white, Spurs are in the all-yellow strip."

9. "The World Cup is a truly international event."

10. "The referee is wearing the same yellow-coloured top as the Slovakian goalkeeper. I'd have thought the Uefa official would have spotted that - but perhaps he's been deafened by the noise of this crowd."

No. 4 my fav :lol:

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/2008/06/top_10_john_mot.html

Mediawatch:

Alan Shearer: A Tournament In Review

'Where once Clough - and Channon, Jack Charlton and Derek Dougan - provided edgy wit, occasionally bonkers opinions strongly expressed and always a hint of danger, now there is Alan Shearer. Nothing against the man - fine old-fashioned centre-forward and all that - but ask yourself this: in all the time the former England captain has been trousering great handfuls of licence-payers' money to put on a nice shirt and sit next to Gary Lineker, has he ever said one single thing that has added in any way whatsoever to the sum of human wisdom?' - The Guardian.

'I wish Shearer would put his reputation on the line and become a manager, if only to get his mangling of the English Language off the BBC. I wouldn't expect him to be any good which is another reason why I hope he receives an offer he can't refuse soon. I dream of the day football punditry requires relevant qualifications' - The Today

'When England are around you can just about accept the rationale for inviting the Geordie favourite to pull up a chair. After all, he has been there, done that and scored the goals, and even if he didn't have anything particularly memorable to say about it, you had to respect his authority.

'But why send him to Euro 2008? By what stretch of the imagination is Shearer a go-to guy for a succinct and viewer-clinching appraisal of, say, Austria's options in midfield? Without England, Shearer is that dog handler off Britain's Got Talent, only without the dog. What's his motivation? You would probably get as much out of the dog handler. Or even the dog' - The Times.

'To cut through it, you have to prioritise and, as a result, it is time to dispense with the Alans. On Wednesday night they failed once more to say anything worthwhile. The problem, yet again, was Germany, a country they just can't get their heads round. Shearer, who'd had his cliches ghosted for him days, if not centuries, in advance, confused the world and his wife by saying: 'They're methodical, well organised. Well, they weren't tonight, obviously.'

'Obviously, Alan, they are, because that's what you said in rehearsal, and they are not, because they have let in four goals in their past two matches. It was textbook Shearer in that he was saying nothing, merely cancelling himself out' - The Observer.

'If there is any truth in the rumour that Alan Shearer is to become the next manager of Blackburn hopefully it will happen soon. That way he can be removed from the BBC Euro 2008 panel at the earliest opportunity. Listening to Shearer talk is like watching creosote dry' - The Daily Mirror.

'Favourite pundit: Gordon Strachan. Honest, insightful and funny, plus a welcome absence of clichés. Alan Shearer, who largely provided a three-week exhibition in stating the obvious, should take note' - The Daily Telegraph.