Oba And Out

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/06/29/oba-and-out-98487-20625292/

EXCLUSIVE KEEGAN FACES CASH CRISIS Kev has to flog £15m star to boost his kitty

By Brian Mcnally And Steve Stammers  29/06/2008

Newcastle will sell star striker Obefami Martins for £15million to bolster manager Kevin Keegan's transfer fund.

Martins, who joined Newcastle for £10.1m from Inter two years ago, is stunned by the news and has made it clear he has never asked to leave.

However, Keegan returned to his St James' Park desk last week to discover that his summer transfer kitty could be as low as £20million - unless he raises more by selling current stars.

He is already on record as insisting £5m-a-year Michael Owen must stay. And with an already thin senior squad further depleted by the summer exits of Emre, David Rozehnal, Peter Ramage and Steven Carr as well as the impending departure of striker Shola Ameobi, Keegan's £20m will have to go an awful long way in terms of simply getting numbers in.

Arsenal have been impressed with Martins since his match-winning performance for Inter Milan at Highbury as a 19-year-old in a Champions League clash at Highbury.

Martins is still only 23 and Arsene Wenger may be tempted to make a move - especially if he loses the battle with Manchester United for Blackburn front man Roque Santa Cruz.

Martins enjoys his life in the North East. He has never asked for a transfer and it appears his proven speed and goal power are being sacrificed so Keegan can bring in new players.

Given that Sunderland have pledged a staggering £50m to fund Roy Keane's team-building plans, Keegan will find himself in the unaccustomed position of being the poor relation in Tyne-Wear management circles.

The only way Keegan will be able to exceed the £20m barrier is by selling some of his big-earning stars.

But with James Milner's proposed move to Liverpool snagged on a valuation dispute, keeper Shay Given insisting he is staying on Tyneside and a decided lack of interest in jailed midfielder Joey Barton and injury-ravaged Damien Duff, Keegan's future fund-raising options are seriously limited. Keegan has already publicly warned billionaire owner Mike Ashley he would have to splash the cash on "four or five" quality signings if the Magpies are to end their 53-year wait for a major domestic trophy.

Of Ashley's ambition, Keegan said: "That will become clear when we see the players this club will go after in the summer." The stark reality is Newcastle have so far spent not a penny on any of Keegan's list of targets, while all the incoming players have been teenagers recruited by executive director Dennis Wise.

By contrast Sunderland powerbroker Charlie Chawke, a member of the Irish-based Drumaville consortium that gave Keane £44m to spend in the last two transfer windows, said: "If £50m is what he needs, that's it. Some way or other he must get it."

Newcastle season ticket sales are sluggish after a 10 per cent price hike and a Toon insider said: "Mike Ashley wants to get Newcastle back on an even financial keel and that means tighter budgets and lower wages.

"But at the same time Keegan is being asked to end the trophy drought as costs are being reduced."

Keane, meanwhile, is ready to target Manchester City's Greek striker Georgi Samaras, who helped Celtic to the Scottish title last term during a loan spell.

The Black Cats boss is desperate to find a replacement for the injured Kenwyne Jones, who is out until Christmas.

Ha..Ha..ha

How do journalists get away with that?

Can anybody tell me where to send my CV for football hack? Easy money it seems... no knowledge necessary only active imagination!!

please please pleaaaaaase lock this thread before more people start waking up to this SHIT!!!

he he he....this

by the way, he hasn't signed a contract extension yet has he?  so his release clause would still be 13m right? 

good to see we're gonna sell him for 15m that being the case

If this story was true (and I don't think it is) Keegan would probably walk as the job certainly isn't as advertised.

Using this 'journalists' logic, when we tried to buy Modric for £16m we were going to spend 80% of our transfer budget on one player.

Guest johnson293

Snip...

By contrast Sunderland powerbroker Charlie Chawke, a member of the Irish-based Drumaville consortium that gave Keane £44m to spend in the last two transfer windows, said: "If £50m is what he needs, that's it. Some way or other he must get it."

...Snip

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/johnson293/charliechalk_hl.jpg

Probably about right, actually!!!  mackems.gif

Guest mobiius

Load  of shite tbh. They need to sell papers and its been said before if the media can cause a bit of unrest they will. I am quite honestly enjoying the lack of information from the club cos i know that it has got Anal oliverSION and all his journo colleagues heads' battered.The window doesn't open till the 1st so why the fuck is the club going to say who they are interested in so the news can be spilled and we lose the slim chance we have. The thing i always remind myself of is this isnt the "give your self a jolly" old regime, This is ashleys "i have never spoke to the media why start now" regime. 

So we will sell our 2nd best forward, then will need to spend about the same amount we sold him for for a quality replacement. Aye great business, fucking rumour mill sundays man.

Guest Stephen927

Oba will be one of the players Keegan will be keen to make sure hits the ground running at the start of next season.

He's got a lot of room to improve, but I reckon he will be improve under Keegan, he already started to towards the end of last season. Will be pivotal if we decide to keep this 4-3-3.

If this story was true (and I don't think it is) Keegan would probably walk as the job certainly isn't as advertised.

Using this 'journalists' logic, when we tried to buy Modric for £16m we were going to spend 80% of our transfer budget on one player.

Both points I came into this thread to make. Spot on. :thup: