Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

Totally agree, if you have to hold out for the right player then so be. However if your buying early the liklihood is that you be getting your top choices.

Don't get me wrong , I am not promoting buying for buying sake.

Buying your first choice doesn't always work out, I was over the moon when we failed to sign John Salako.

True but you've got to back your own judgement haven't you. I must admit I was a fan of Salako's and was happy we were going for him. I can't recall time lines, was it before or after Ginola, because if it was before then we caught a break with him failing the medical. Come to think of it, it must have been cos KK was still the manager, tbh it was great to see him try to protect the player by not telling the press the real reason he didn't sign.

Totally agree, if you have to hold out for the right player then so be. However if your buying early the liklihood is that you be getting your top choices.

Any evidence to back this up? just want to understand your reasoning sir.

No evidence whatsover, hence the use of the word "Liklihood".

Edit: Sorry I sounded a bit flippant. My point is that it's a bit like the January sales, you go on the first day of the sales and you stand a better chance to get those 70's flares you've been after than hoping there is still a pair left come the last day. There may be some bargains to be had on the last day of the sales but generally speaking the good stuff has already gone.

It makes sense, if you identify a target, bid, get it accepted, agree terms and whatever it's all going to be done pretty quickly. If that target is unavailable there'll be a delay as decisions are made over what to do next - move on to a new target, go back with a new bid for the original, play the waiting game, so on and so forth

Guest Jungle Barry

Buying your first choice doesn't always work out, I was over the moon when we failed to sign John Salako.

I'm sorry but I'm still at a loss to get your meaning. But to answer your question, I was and remain concerned, that concern will not be removed until we have a squad that can cope with a full season of PL football and perform to a level we should expect. We are a long way off being there and since you are keen on dates pre-season starts in 5 days !

The season is 6 weeks away, what happens in 5 days makes no difference to a lot of players.  Some players have been playing internationals up until the last few days and will not be back in training.

The importanace of a full pre-season is often ignore by a lot of people in the game. If you have the bulk of you squad there from day one, you have the ability to ensure that you can control their conditioning, no matter how fit they are to fit in with the style you want to play a good coach will know how to best prepare his players for the new season.

The early days in pre-season are also the times when you start building that team spirit, for new signings not to be around during this period is a huge missed opportunity.

With international commitments it's becoming harder and harder to get everyone starting back on the same day. So this ideal is perhaps a little difficult to aspire to but if I was the boss I would want my squad together in full ASAP.

but then again i'd rather buy the right players on the lastr day of the window rather than the wrong ones for the sake of having a full pre-season with them.

I'm delighted we sat tight for sunday monday Habib Beye as i'm sure are the rest of us

True but you've got to back your own judgement haven't you. I must admit I was a fan of Salako's and was happy we were going for him. I can't recall time lines, was it before or after Ginola, because if it was before then we caught a break with him failing the medical. Come to think of it, it must have been cos KK was still the manager, tbh it was great to see him try to protect the player by not telling the press the real reason he didn't sign.

Yes Salako was before Ginola and I agree about Keegan keeping the failed medical quiet, we had nothing to gain by telling everybody other than saving face by making it known that he wanted to sign for us.

I had forgotten about that, it just shows what a top person we have managing the club.

I trust Keegan and although I don't really have reason to, I trust Vetere, Wise and Jiminez to be acting totally in the best interests of the future of NUFC.

Lets hope its a good signing to start things off.

I trust Keegan and although I don't really have reason to, I trust Vetere, Wise and Jiminez to be acting totally in the best interests of the future of NUFC.

Lets hope its a good signing to start things off.

Agreed and I'll trust them until they give reason not to, so far they've done nothing wrong for anybody to not trust them.

Guest Heneage

I think when the title reads "Scum make there (Wrong "There" should be "Their") first signing" the content won't be "He will vastly improve their side and is good value for money, the hilarity of his celebration only adds to his appeal.

Guest Guinness

This new bloke is s*** on pro evo, we've been ripped off. 

Don't know about that, I've just scored a class lob against Spurs away with him :smug:

Don't know about that, I've just scored a class lob against Spurs away with him :smug:

aye but it's only spurs

Yeah, what about against the Wigans of this world that provide a challenge?

I reckon our 3rd strip from last season was the key to him penning the deal ;)

In all seriousness, I've only ever heard of this guy due to the Spiderman thing...mental! Lets hope KK has pulled one out of the bag here!

aye but it's only spurs

Yeah, what about against the Wigans of this world that provide a challenge?

We'll only be looking for a draw there, so he probably won't play.