Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

With this law it's simple, the amount of compensation received is the remaining value left on that contract. 

this is a case where this occured.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/117623_43278.pdf

That's not how it reads to me. See section 41 - seems to be part original transfer fee, part old & new wages (bonuses are tricky and subject to negotiation), and part "sports related damage caused to the club, blah, blah, blah" which could amount to anything really.

id say that our club has been run pretty well (few hiccoups) in the background areas over the last year (if not in the transfer market or on the pitch, which is debatable and i dont want to start one of those threads) so you would hope the club knew what they were doing leagal wise when signing him, and mallorca are just throwing their toys out of the pram or the club have budgeted for any amount that mallorca could reclaim and are happy to pay that for gutierrez

Not sure we're officially allowed to do that though, otherwise it could be seen as if we were inducing him to leave in the first place?

there has already been a precedent (2 actually) so have a look and see what happened then.

Andy Webster, the 26-year-old Scotland international, who is now at Rangers, became the first player to successfully invoke Article 17 when he bought out the remaining term of his four-year contract at Hearts in moving to Wigan Athletic in 2006. Hearts received £150,000 in compensation - the value of the final year of Webster's contract.

From the Guardian.

Guest optimistic nit

A lad on another forum whos a River Plate fan claims Velez are notoriously difficult to negotiate with.

why would we have too?

from a Spanish footy forum regarding Jonas Gutierrez

A very fast player, excellent technically and has good crosses most of the time, can play both as a winger and as a wingback. He's also featured in Argentinas NT lately where he's done a decent job, definitely a classy signing

Don't know if its been posted or not, but we've actually killed Spidey's own web site :lol:

http://www.jonasgutierrez.com/

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.jonasgutierrez.com Port 80

Don't know if its been posted or not, but we've actually killed Spidey's own web site :lol:

http://www.jonasgutierrez.com/

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.jonasgutierrez.com Port 80

Haha, I just tried getting on that.

James, because he's a tit.

:lol:

I'm not even sure what he's getting at or really care for that matter.  As has just been said above, I'm sure we'll have looked at the legal side of this and as long as we're happy that we're acting within rules then so be it.

Murky?

How's this transfer "murky"??!

I see no evidence of Fat Fred, Big Sam, Souness or Willie Thingummyjig being involved...

Boumsong. Now that was fucking "murky".

James, you big tit. :rolleyes:

A few pleasing words from Nobby...

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3771174,00.html

Nobby nuts about new Toon arrival

Newcastle legend Nolberto Solano has tipped fellow South American Jonas Gutierrez to be a big hit in the Premier League next season.

The 33-year-old Peruvian can lay claim to the title of being one of the club's most successful imports over the last decade and certainly the most successful acquisition from South America.

In his two spells on Tyneside, he not only mastered the rigours of the English game, but established himself as a fans' favourite at St James' Park, and he believes Argentina international Jonas can do the same after joining this week.

Solano said: "I loved my time at Newcastle and wish Jonas all the best at his new club.

"He can be a big success there after playing in a strong league in Argentina and then again in La Liga in Spain.

"When Kenny Dalglish signed me I did not know too much English, but Newcastle is a great city - and once you are settled, it is up to you to do your job on the field and work as hard as you can for the fans.

"I liked it so much I played for Newcastle twice!

"It is always great to go back there because I have many, many friends in Newcastle."

The Magpies were delighted to have tied up their first summer signing after weeks of speculation, and were all the more pleased that they managed to sneak the 24-year-old in under the radar without their interest becoming known.

Real Mallorca have vowed to continue their fight for compensation from the player following his unilateral decision to terminate his contract, which has two years still to run.

However, Newcastle are confident Jonas is theirs and he will start work with his new team-mates when he returns from a short break to begin pre-season training later this month.

He is expected to make his debut in one of the prestigious friendly clashes with PSV Eindhoven and Valencia at St James' Park the beginning of August.

Manager Kevin Keegan will hope his arrival signals the start of a rush as executive director (football) Dennis Wise and vice-president (player recruitment) Tony Jimenez home in on their remaining targets with FC Basle striker Eren Derdiyok continuing to be linked to the Tyneside club.

Meanwhile, striker Andy Carroll has been ruled out of England's Under-19s European Championships finals campaign through injury.

Carroll is out of the tournament, which is due to start in the Czech Republic on July 14, with a heel problem.

He will instead be at his club's training ground as the rest of his team-mates return for pre-season training on Monday for a scan.

Keegan had expected to be without Carroll for the start of pre-season because of his international commitments, but now faces heading into the club's first friendly at Hartlepool on July 19 without he and Achilles victim Mark Viduka.

For the record, I don't think we have acted improperly at all, but over recent years I have found a few South American contracts odd, and a three year 50% economic rights loan with the player on a five year contract to which he is loaned to would take the biscuit if it wasn't for the Mascherano + Tevez contracts.

For the record, I don't think we have acted improperly at all, but over recent years I have found a few South American contracts odd, and a three year 50% economic rights loan with the player on a five year contract to which he is loaned to would take the biscuit if it wasn't for the Mascherano + Tevez contracts.

So how is "This transfer is very murky?"

His previous contracts will have nothing to do with the one we offer him.

Another weird suggestion about the transfer of Gutierrez:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/mallorca-query-gutierrezs-newcastle-move-859879.html

This transfer is very murky.

James are you up on this webster malarkey?

I thought I was until Velez Sarsfield declared that they owned him.

interested to see how this pans out personally, you'd like to think we did our research and there are no loose ends for mallorca to hang us with

under shepherds half-arsed tenure i could easily have seen this coming back and biting us, i'd like to think it wouldn't now but mallorca evidently seem to think there's a case to be made

Real Mallorca are demanding £8million compensation from Newcastle for Jonas Gutierrez.

The Argentina international left the Primera Liga side for the North East on Wednesday after buying out the remaining two years of his contract in Spain.

With that effectively making him a free agent, cash-strapped Mallorca are threatening to report the issue to Fifa in an attempt to secure a financial package they deem suitable for a player of international pedigree.

The Spanish club's president Vicente Grande claims that they will be left on the brink of administration if the deal is allowed to stand and has urged world football's governing body to intervene.

Crisis

"Because of our financial crisis, this could really damage us. In fact, it has come at the worst possible time," said Grande.

"We cannot understand the attitude of the player who has done this to force a move to England.

"This matter is not closed because the club has decided to go to FIFA to reclaim our right. The minimum we want to recuperate is the £8million Portsmouth offered us in the winter.''

Despite the president's calls for action, Gutierrez is adamant that he has done nothing wrong and is looking forward to beginning a new chapter in his career.

He said: "My conscience is clear and I am not worried by the actions of Real Mallorca. I just want to play for Newcastle in the Premier League."

Loan

Another issue which could scupper Mallorca's plans for compensation involves the dual ownership of Gutierrez that the club shared with his first club Velez Sarsfield.

The Argentinean outfit insist that the winger was due to return to them next season anyway, although they too have suggested that they will be exploring the legalities of the 25-year-old's move to England.

"Jonas Gutierrez was due to return to Velez Sarsfield on 1st July in accordance with the contract signed with Mallorca, owners of a 50 per cent stake of his economic rights," said Velez president Alvaro Ballestrini.

"After three seasons on loan at Mallorca he would have had to come back to Velez if Newcastle had not come in."

With confusion now surrounding the transfer Ballestrini has also been quoted as saying that there still remains a possibility that Gutierrez will return to his homeland, rather than the Premier League.

"I want to contact the agent of Jonas and the directors of Newcastle," he told radio station Cadena Sar.

"We have requested the player's presence at training in Buenos Aires on 7th July and after that we will announce our official position."

:laugh:

Interesting to read he's worth at least £8m too. Hope we'd have had all this sorted before announcing the signing though tbh. A cynic might suggest the deal was pushed through in order to override a few of the negative Barton headlines...

So how is "This transfer is very murky?"

His previous contracts will have nothing to do with the one we offer him.

Do you not understand the word 'murky', or can you not read?

Murky meeds non-transparent, and the player's situation certainly isn't transparent right now to the outside world, look at the facts:

We supposedly believe that we have signed him fair and square.

Mallorca believe that he has broken his five year contract and that he therefore owes them millions.

Velez Sarsfield believe that Mallorca got him on a 50% economic rights deal where Mallorca had to buy all of him by July 1st. Hence they think that the player is 100% theirs, and thus Gutierrez's 5-year contract at Mallorca must be considered by Velez as void in the first place. Velez now want Gutierrez to report to training.

If this transfer is transparent to you Mick, you must have x-ray vision.