Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

its just dawned on me he'll be going back there to play in that pre-season tournament.

Could be possible that this was part of the agreement, that we play in the tournament.

First argy to play for us? We get to chant ARG- EN- TINA

probably first good argie.

Where does he get the Spiderman mask for his celebrations though? ???

He tucks it nicely under his bollocks and then just whips it out so Ive heard.

Might be time to dash out and by a Argentina number 17 shirt me thinks  :lol:

This has certainly brightened up my day!

ARG-EN-TINA!! ARG-EN-TINA!!

Guest Mucky01

reckon Ashleys sport shops will be knocking out Argie tops... how much are they, before the stampede?

So the up-shot is, noone knows how much we have paid for him?

I think we must have bought out his contract, i doubt it will be anywhere near the 10m mark though.

That's the thing with the new FIFA regulations - they're open to abuse.

I remember in the late 90's reading a World Soccer article describing the situation in Spain where players could buy their contracts out. The Spanish FA found that clubs would "loan" players the cash necessary to buy out their contract. And no matter how hard you try to contain such a situation, determined clubs will find a way...

If memory serves correctly, a player can only move clubs like this if he is more than two years into his (current?) contract, or three if under a certain age. How many of our players fall into that category? This is exactly why Keegan wants Mickey Owen signed up and tied down.

Anyway, fantastic news to have made our first summer signing - and kudos to the procurement team for their professional and most satisfactory result :thup:

Guest Toon83

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/07/02/newcastle-united-sign-wing-ace-jonas-gutierrez-72703-21214460/

Newcastle United sign wing ace Jonas Gutierrez

Jul 2 2008 Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE UNITED have swooped to sign Argentina international Jonas Gutierrez from Spanish side Real Mallorca.

ChronicleLive can confirm the arrival of Gutierrez, with the La Liga ace becoming Kevin Keegan’s first major signing since he thrilled the fans by arriving back on Tyneside.

The 24-year-old is renowned for pulling on a Spiderman mask after scoring goals in Spain and he arrives in the Premier League as a skilful right winger.

The club have not disclosed the fee for the star, but Manchester City were ready to splash out £7m for the South American during Sven Goran Eriksson’s reign at Eastlands.

Spurs and Portsmouth were also linked with bids earlier this year.

Gutierrez has signed a five-year deal and will bolster Kevin Keegan’s current squad which has been depleted by the departures of several players.

The fans will hope that Gutierrez brings some flair to a side which struggled badly last season, and provide the bullets for Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Oba Martins and Andy Carroll.

For more on the breakthrough transfer, including:

:: What Kevin Keegan thinks the signing means for the club

:: The player’s hopes to impress the fans next season

:: And facts and figures on his career

Make sure you get your Chronicle tonight.

To see Gutierrez’s amazing Spiderman goal celebration – click here

chronicle have finally picked up the story!

click on the link on the chronicle website to see the celebration its class  mackems.gif

Also don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but the player has Italian nationality so doesn't need any sort of work permit to play over here. Always a bonus because no need for even more random paperwork and such.

Just added this smiley over on Toontastic. :lol:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7562/spideypeacedanceef7.gif

:laugh:

Nice!

Will be handy when he puts two past Tottenham.

So the up-shot is, noone knows how much we have paid for him?

I think we must have bought out his contract, i doubt it will be anywhere near the 10m mark though.

That's the thing with the new FIFA regulations - they're open to abuse.

I remember in the late 90's reading a World Soccer article describing the situation in Spain where players could buy their contracts out. The Spanish FA found that clubs would "loan" players the cash necessary to buy out their contract. And no matter how hard you try to contain such a situation, determined clubs will find a way...

If memory serves correctly, a player can only move clubs like this if he is more than two years into his (current?) contract, or three if under a certain age. How many of our players fall into that category? This is exactly why Keegan wants Mickey Owen signed up and tied down.

Anyway, fantastic news to have made our first summer signing - and kudos to the procurement team for their professional and most satisfactory job :thup:

I think you have to move to another country to be able to buy yourself out of your contract, and since not many other teams in Europe pay as high wages as most premiership teams, it is fairly unlikely to happen.

its just dawned on me he'll be going back there to play in that pre-season tournament.

Was probably part of the deal; which suggests that it's been going on for a while. And neither us or the papers knew anything about it, for weeks. Fantastic.

Guest Thandi_45

Must be a Wise/Jiminez signing but Keegan must have seen something decent from the scouting reports.

Was probably part of the deal; which suggests that it's been going on for a while. And neither us or the papers knew anything about it, for weeks. Fantastic.

Nah, I think we've gone behind Mallorca's back on this one, he's gone to his old board and said: "Here's the money I need to buy out my contract, I'm off, goodbye"

Probably already been posted but here it is again anyway:

ARGENTINA international Jonas Gutierrez has become Newcastle United's first signing of the summer.

The right-sided attacker joins the Magpies from Spanish outfit RCD Mallorca on a five-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

Gutierrez has the nickname "Spiderman" for wearing the superhero's webbed mask during flamboyant goal celebrations.

And the move to St. James' Park comes as a perfect birthday present for the wide player, who turns 25 on Saturday.

Jonas said: "I cannot tell you how excited I am to be joining Newcastle United.

"The Premier League is a great place to play and I cannot wait to meet my new team-mates and prove myself to the Newcastle United fans."

United boss Kevin Keegan added: "Jonas is a wonderful signing for us.

"I know a lot of other clubs have been interested in him. He'll be a terrific addition to the squad.

"He's an exciting player and I'm sure our fans will enjoy watching him."

Jonas began his career with Velez Sarsfield in his native Argentina, helping the club win the Primera Division title in 2005 before moving to Spain.

He won his first cap against France in February 2007. Most recently, he played for his country on June 18 in a 0-0 World Cup qualifying draw away to Brazil in Belo Horizonte.

As a result, Jonas will now have a break before linking up with his new colleagues for pre-season training later this month.

United fans will be able to see Jonas in action in the pre-season friendlies against PSV Eindhoven (August 6) and Valencia (August 9) at St. James' Park.