Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

Spiderman, Spiderman

Does whatever Ronaldo can

Can he spin, from a web

No he cant, cos he's a man,

Look out, its Guttierez...

HAHAHAHHA

Good work by the club, saw a few mallorca games on the tellybox and he looks decent. Good work by wise et al.

Also I think its pronounced Guti-er-ez kinda like its spelt...

By all accounts he's going to be known as Jonas, I think that is whats on his shirt.

Yeah, but in the Premiership they have to have their full surname. Remember when Hasslebaink first arrived and he had "Jimmy" on his shirt for the first game? Dragutinovic wears simply "Drago" on his shirt. I'd imagine over here he'll have "Gutierrez" on his top.

Jordi?

Nani?

Juninho?

None of those are full surnames...

Jordi is the exception though. The others are nicknames aren't they?

So you're allowed nicknames but not first names? What sort of rule is that? :D

Because the Latin countries have about 3-4 surnames which would be a tight squeeze on the back of a top.

Are people excited by the fact we've signed a player without the press hearing about it, or by the fact that it's this particular player?

Both. I've always liked him. I'd be happy enough buying him after weeks of speculation but it's honestly the way the club have gone about this that has delighted me most.

It's like waking up on your birthday or Christmas and getting a nice surprise. Woke up this morn, fired up Teamtalk as always and out of nowhere got a lovely surprise.

I've never noticed him much personally but they will be those who have. Spanish football gets as much coverage as the Premiership these days on Sky, etc. so it's not like 10 years ago when not many would have seen him play at all.

Guest The Bort

great signing, saw this guy playing last year when i went to see mallorca v villareal at the Son Moix, played in some great crosses and slide rule balls, had capdevilla beaten all ends up  :snod:

Guest icemanblue

Looked at all his vids plus some highlights of other games he' s played in, and I'm not sure about him tbh. Hopefully there are better players yet to come.

Unbelievable.

Looked at all his vids plus some highlights of other games he' s played in, and I'm not sure about him tbh. Hopefully there are better players yet to come.

I'll back our scouting team and Keegan's eye for a player over your dodgy attempt at scouting. You didn't even make the effort to pull up his FM stats so you clearly cannot be taken seriously.

Don't give up the day job James.

I'll back our scouting team and Keegan's eye for a player over your dodgy attempt at scouting. You didn't even make the effort to pull up his FM stats so you clearly cannot be taken seriously.

Don't give up the day job James.

He's good on FM like by the looks of it, I think we're onto a winner here.

James, you're snooker loopy mate.

Reading that Mallorca forum they seem to think he's got a bad behavior and they would of happily accepted 15M for him.

15 million is alot of money i would accept it for most of our players wether good or not

That would be 15 million Euro's (£11.9 million).  I doubt we've paid that much though since he seems to have bought out his contract with Mallorca.. then again apparently he was co-owned by Sarsfield as well, so who knows.

Perhaps we have paid for the Velez Sarsfield half and he & his associates have paid for the Majorca half? or we have loaned him/his assoc the cash to do so.

Absolutely delighted with the way the club have handled this by the way, THIS is how to go about your transfer business.

Great, great start to our transfer dealings and I can't wait to see who else we can bring in now.

Massive, massive smile on my face that only the club can bring to it.

:D

Loving the fact that we actually know now that the silence does not mean we're not doing anything behind the scenes. It also makes all the silly news story linking players to and from the club (like Custis recycling the Martins to Arsenal story) even less reliable because they obviously have fuck all clue what's going on (Enrique and now this).

Absolutely delighted with the way the club have handled this by the way, THIS is how to go about your transfer business.

Great, great start to our transfer dealings and I can't wait to see who else we can bring in now.

Massive, massive smile on my face that only the club can bring to it.

:D

Loving the fact that we actually know now that the silence does not mean we're not doing anything behind the scenes. It also makes all the silly news story linking players to and from the club (like Custis recycling the Martins to Arsenal story) even less reliable because they obviously have f*** all clue what's going on (Enrique and now this).

and the thing to remember is these are just the ones that have came off...who knows what else has been going on ?

Keep this up and get another two or three decent players in and we'll suddenly have the makings of a pretty decent side. Two defensive players and another two creative midfielders would completely satisfy me.

Thing is, we've got plenty of time. I'm not worried.

All I'm saying is that if what the compilation makers see as his 'best bits' really are his best bits, he doesn't stand out from many other players out there.

Not going to get carried away like I have with so many players in the past. He is only a good player when I see him play well for NUFC with my own eyes.

The main thing I'm pleased about is that the first we heard of it was when the Chron were told by the club that it was a done deal. That was exceptional, and makes me very hopeful for the future.

Good article form tim vickery

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blogs/timvickery/winds-of-change-in-brazil-121440/

I'm lucky enough to have been present at all five World Cup qualifiers between Brazil and Argentina. They are special occasions, the kind that make you want to linger round the stadium for hours after the final whistle - even if they prove as tame as the mid-week 0-0 draw in Belo Horizonte.

There is still much to relect on and analyse.

Perhaps there was too much at stake; both teams had come off bad results the previous weekend and the need to preserve pride tipped the balance towards caution.

And there's also the recent history of the great South American derby. Argentina have come out to play, only to be taken apart on the break. Coach Alfio Basile was determined it was not going to happen this time.

His masterstroke was the introduction of Jonas Gutierrez on the left flank. Strong and rangy, he shut the gate through which Brazil poured to win last year's Copa America, when they identified the lack of pace of left back Gabriel Heinze as Argentina's weak point.

Gutierrez worked up and down the whole flank, allowing Heinze to push inside and give defensive cover - much needed because Argentina were rightly terrified of Brazil's strikers getting a run at their centre backs.

All I'm saying is that if what the compilation makers see as his 'best bits' really are his best bits, he doesn't stand out from many other players out there.

Leave it out James.

What was the actual timeline of this news then? According to NewsNow it was on the official site first (at 11am), then the Chronicle just after. Is that right?

Not going to get carried away like I have with so many players in the past. He is only a good player when I see him play well for NUFC with my own eyes.

The main thing I'm pleased about is that the first we heard of it was when the Chron were told by the club that it was a done deal. That was exceptional, and makes me very hopeful for the future.

Except you already got carried away by comparing him to Luque based on his "jogging style", complaining about him standing with hands on his hips during one Argentina attack against Australia, as well as insinuating he wasn't good based on video clips.

Getting carried away doesn't just include being too positive it can also be a case of being overly panicky or negative.

Just saying ...