So who could we sign that would pacify you?

Dave

Dave, you don't seriously think that Guthrie as a player is anywhere near Park's level yet do you?

I think you're just trying to make the point that the pessimists wouldn't have been any happier even if we had signed Park as opposed to Guthrie?

You think right. I'm not comparing their abilities, I'm comparing them as signings.

Guest Deep456

You'd have to be a mentalist to not move from a club like Bolton to a club like Chelsea when given the chance..

Depends whether you give a toss about actually playing or not I suppose.

He had been playing before hadn't he..? If it was just about playing he would have signed a new contract with Bolton. He went away to move up in the world and he did. Take Guthrie, are you saying he shouldn't have signed for us when we offered him a contract, because he is not likely to figure in the first team much next season? Should he have gone to Fulham because they would have probably guaranteed him a first team place, or did he make the right decision to come here and take a chance?

Chelsea - some of the best players in the league if not the world in Ben Haim's position.

Newcastle - Geremi, someone currently in jail, Butt, er...Smith?

Spot the difference.

I thought you were convinced we were going to be bringing in some first team players for the midfield?

I am pretty convinced, yeah. Do you think Keegan told Guthrie that when trying to get him to sign? :lol:

In any case, they're still not going to be the midfield equivilant of Terry and Carvalho, are they?

Why not, thats what we should be aiming for.  Do they want to compete or not etc etc etc

Yea and you look good. Get a grip man, it won't happen for another 5 years at the least.

You'd have to be a mentalist to not move from a club like Bolton to a club like Chelsea when given the chance..

Depends whether you give a toss about actually playing or not I suppose.

He had been playing before hadn't he..? If it was just about playing he would have signed a new contract with Bolton. He went away to move up in the world and he did. Take Guthrie, are you saying he shouldn't have signed for us when we offered him a contract, because he is not likely to figure in the first team much next season? Should he have gone to Fulham because they would have probably guaranteed him a first team place, or did he make the right decision to come here and take a chance?

Chelsea - some of the best players in the league if not the world in Ben Haim's position.

Newcastle - Geremi, someone currently in jail, Butt, er...Smith?

Spot the difference.

I thought you were convinced we were going to be bringing in some first team players for the midfield?

I am pretty convinced, yeah. Do you think Keegan told Guthrie that when trying to get him to sign? :lol:

In any case, they're still not going to be the midfield equivilant of Terry and Carvalho, are they?

Why not, thats what we should be aiming for.  Do they want to compete or not etc etc etc

Yea and you look good. Get a grip man, it won't happen for another 5 years at the least.

I was taking the piss, as you'll see if you read further on ;)

Guest Deep456

Not the first time he has missed the blatant sarcasm. He "caught" me out in the Guthrie thread too :lol:

That wasn't sarcasm though, because you said to everyone not to get worked up about the "shiet article" on Guthrie signing and tbh not many people thought we would sign him.

Guest Deep456

What? :lol:

Read it again and a word of advice, maybe you shouldn't try and make people look stupid in the future because in all honesty you aren't very good at it :lol:

I am not trying to make you look stupid :sighs:

Guest Deep456

Why did you quote something I posted ages ago with a laughing smilie then? Couldn't be because you misread it and was trying to prove me wrong is it? :lol:

Well I generally laugh at you, so you shouldn't jump to conclusions at the sight of the smiley.

We offered him more.  He turned us down :(

I'm not surprised, he'll not want to be playing in a relegation battle at such a critical stage in his career, he's probably protecting his chances of an England recall.

Some Argentine called Messi or something like that.

Found him on FM. Turns into a class player after a few years

Are you guys WUMing or just plain 'thick as a brick', he's an absolutely brilliant player- very famous, and he'd never come here.

[/deep]

Are you even reading my posts? If Bentley can't join a top four club, he goes to the one(s) who look most like breaking into that group next season. Do you honestly think we're as close to the CL spots as Everton, Villa, Spurs* etc? Are we fuck. Of course we'd have a chance though, I never said we wouldn't. Again you're putting words into my mouth saying I'd be resigned to losing out and comparing me to that fucktard shitteam. How exactly do you know we're not moving for players like Bentley anyway? Because the clueless press haven't mentioned us? See my other thread - looks to me like they don't have the fucking foggiest about what we're planning.

re Bentley and where he would or would not go.

The "we can offer more money than Spurs or Villa" thing is a bit of a red herring.

The following facts are known amongst Villa fans at the moment.

1. Bentley had talks with MON two weeks ago. They went well.

2. Villa have offered Blackburn more money than Spurs (confirmed by board member).

3. Villa have offered Bentley more money than Spurs have (confirmed by board member).

4. Bentley is umming and aahing, but the one thing that keeps coming up is that he wants to go to a London club.

5. Villa are about to sign Friedel. Blackburn want Robinson to replace him. Spurs can get around the fact they're on a limited budget by offering a part ex deal involving Robinson.

6. Bentley will go to Spurs, Robinson will go to Blackburn plus some money, Friedel will go to Villa.

If point 6 doesn't happen, I'll come on here and eat my hat.

Points 4 - Bentley wanting London (which, incidentally, almost makes me hope we don't sign him if he's bothered mainly about shopping and clubbing), and point 6, Blackburn needing a new goalkeeper, are the salient points.

This kind of shit isn't as easy as "offer him more money", esp not these days when everyone has money.