Budget Caps?

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In light of the recent alleged Ronaldinho deal to Man City, and the constant barrage of investors pumping money into Premiership clubs, teams in the lower divisions are being left behind - even teams in the Premiership are. What is it Chelsea have spent since Roman took over? £500m or something insane, and the liks of City are clearly on their way to doing something fairly similar.

It does little to help the money situation on the whole, and with the added TV money and suchlike is causing mass inflation, could budget caps work in any way do we think? I don't really know enough to think of some sort of strategy, James-stylee, but someone intelligent probably can.

Like £50m maximum allowed to be spent on player recruitment per year for eg.

In light of the recent alleged Ronaldinho deal to Man City, and the constant barrage of investors pumping money into Premiership clubs, teams in the lower divisions are being left behind - even teams in the Premiership are. What is it Chelsea have spent since Roman took over? £500m or something insane, and the liks of City are clearly on their way to doing something fairly similar.

It does little to help the money situation on the whole, and with the added TV money and suchlike is causing mass inflation, could budget caps work in any way do we think? I don't really know enough to think of some sort of strategy, James-stylee, but someone intelligent probably can.

Something has to be done to bring some sense back to the market. No idea what is workable though.

I reckon it would be a good policy to have. Because top players are only likely to go to top clubs anyways. Not many players are going to be over the 50million mark either. So it would be great if they added it in.

MLS style 'designated player', but they'd have to be enforced worldwide as not to weaken our or any other league significantly, I reckon it'd also mean 'big' players would be spread out to earn their money.

With the amount of losses Chelsea are making I don't think even Abramovits can take it too long(okay...maybe him but not all with some brain). I think we'll see many more Leeds' in the future if it remains like this...

IMO they should force all clubs to stand on there own two feet and work as a business.  Limit debt and stop people from pumping piles of outside money into clubs.  Basically force clubs to work within there own revenue plus maybe a level of outside debt based on a percentage of that revenue.

Have to put a cap on wages and expenditure as a % of turnover.

Clubs with a loss pre transfer activity should be docked points for the following season

:thup:

Let the big boys do it if they can afford it.

Clubs with a loss pre transfer activity should be docked points for the following season

Can you explain what that really means, for the cretins. (me) :blush:

Guest Stephen927

If there was to be a wage cap, I doubt we'd read of all these top class players whose dream it is to play in England.

Wages are completely out of control. Situation that springs to mind is Terry and Lampard wanting £100,000+. Its unbelieveable, what does the extra couple of thousand a week matter when you're on £80,000+ a week.

Something needs to be done because its all getting out of hand.

If there was to be a wage cap, I doubt we'd read of all these top class players whose dream it is to play in England.

Wages are completely out of control. Situation that springs to mind is Terry and Lampard wanting £100,000+. Its unbelieveable, what does the extra couple of thousand a week matter when you're on £80,000+ a week.

Agreed.

Its a bit sickening.

Can you explain what that really means, for the cretins. (me) :blush:

Say club x has a turnover of £100m, club y £50m

Wages are capped at 50% turnover, Net transfer fees capped at 30% turnover

Club x can spend £50m on wages and £30m on transfers (+ whatever they can raise through sales). This leaves £20m to cover the running of the club

Club y can spend £25m and £15m respectively, leaving £10m to run the club.

Any club which makes a loss before transfer activity (i.e  would have to borrow money to buy players) would be docked points based on the extent of the loss. The natural environment would prevent these clubs spending vast amounts on transfer fees

This still gives an incentive to finish higher up the league (higher position = more revenue = more to spend etc) but removes the artifical environment of an Abramovich type figure and would not allow a Leeds to happen.

Regulating that in a global market would be horrendous, but its the only way to make a competitive level playing field (imo anyway)

Ah but wasn't it great when stories of the likes of Klinnsmann and Bergkamp coming to the Premier League got everyne excited and not just supporters of the club involved

Guest nufc_geordie

Unless the rules were implemented world wide they could never be allowed to come into force. It needs a decision from fifa (who are probably more likely deciding that the next world cup will be settled with ice hockey style penalties or something like that) that all league implement the rules on a given date with point deductions for failing to comply. That would be the only hope of it getting anywhere!

how about a transfer budget based on where u finished in the league the previous season, for example the higher u finish the less money u have to spend on players.................. wait that sounds shit, just ignore me. soz

Guest FlapjackJoe

how about a transfer budget based on where u finished in the league the previous season, for example the higher u finish the less money u have to spend on players.................. wait that sounds shit, just ignore me. soz

I think that's a great idea ... but that would only work if there's only one league, i.e. a European league.  Otherwise, if that's implemented in one country, but not in another, the other country would perform better in European competition.

I still think a European league with a wage cap would be good.