Fabricio Coloccini signed from Deportivo La Coruña on 5 year deal

Cronky

---------------Given

Beye--Colocinni--Bassong--Enrique

----------------Faye

---Guthrie-----------------Zoggy

----------------Jonas

---------Owen--------Martins

Not for me, don't want Jonas out of position as we need to be getting the best out of him from the wing, Harper in for Given and I wouldn't start Bassong just yet, lets wait and see how he copes in the Premiership first.

---------------Given

----------------Faye

----------------Jonas

Not for me, don't want Jonas out of position as we need to be getting the best out of him from the wing, Harper in for Given and I wouldn't start Bassong just yet, lets wait and see how he copes in the Premiership first.

How is that out of position? He can be darting either side of the strikers which will be much harder to double mark him.

That would create so much more space for owen and martins

---------------Given

----------------Faye

----------------Jonas

How is that out of position? He can be darting either side of the strikers which will be much harder to double mark him.

That would create so much more space for owen and martins

It's out of position because he's a winger, and that position isn't on the wing.

And Guthrie's not a winger, there's no way I'd want him on the right hand side. He'd be about as effective as other CMs have been there in recent years, witness the insipid performances of Bowyer and Barton on at right wing.

Stick Spidey on the wing, and we need to buy a creative midfielder (Which we're all aware of). Failing that, I'd rather have Barton there or even Guthrie if it came to it, or else put Milner or Duff on one wing, Guttierez on the other and play N'Zogbia as an AM.

If we've learnt anything from the last 3 or 4 years it should be that square pegs in round holes simply don't work.

It's out of position because he's a winger, and that position isn't on the wing.

And Guthrie's not a winger, there's no way I'd want him on the right hand side. He'd be about as effective as other CMs have been there in recent years, witness the insipid performances of Bowyer and Barton on at right wing.

Stick Spidey on the wing, and we need to buy a creative midfielder (Which we're all aware of). Failing that, I'd rather have Barton there or even Guthrie if it came to it, or else put Milner or Duff on one wing, Guttierez on the other and play N'Zogbia as an AM.

If we've learnt anything from the last 3 or 4 years it should be that square pegs in round holes simply don't work.

Ronaldo's a winger but does he always stick on the wing?

Jonas can still get out wide from that position, why stay in one place and become predictable in your attacks?

Ok it would effectively be a 4-3-3 but that looks miles better than the static 4-4-2 we've been watching recently.

Movement is the key just look at Man U and Arsenal for examples, to keep someone in the same place on the pitch is a doddle for defenders.

Still not completed then?

Nah

I'm hoping it's a double swoop involving Reyes! lol

I hope so!

Personally I'm getting very bored of this dragging on so much.

Double swoop with Reyes is interesting, stick Baptista in there too and we're sorted.

Thats a three man midfield with three cm's.  The outer cm's only need to cover the wings for opponents wingers, their attacks will be mostly down the centre.  Did you miss the last 10 games of last season?

It's interesting you say that as i watched the last 10 games of last season and clearly witnessed barton getting down the left wing as much as he could, and similarly geremi was always getting out to the right touchline to help Beye. Tell me it wasn't so?

In which case Guthrie can't play in that right of 3 central midfield position if you ask me (which i know nobody did but still  :razz:)

Ronaldo's a winger but does he always stick on the wing?

Jonas can still get out wide from that position, why stay in one place and become predictable in your attacks?

Ok it would effectively be a 4-3-3 but that looks miles better than the static 4-4-2 we've been watching recently.

Movement is the key just look at Man U and Arsenal for examples, to keep someone in the same place on the pitch is a doddle for defenders.

Ronaldo is a world-class player playing in a team of other world-class players, something that we're nowhere near at the moment. I think comparing his role in the Man U team with Guttierez's role in ours is at best shaky. What we need is service from the flanks, and sticking Guthrie out there will not provide it.

And the "Static 4-4-2" has not been bad because there's somthing inherently wrong with 4-4-2, but because we've been fielding inept players.

For me it's:

--------------------Given

Beye Coloccini Bassong/Faye Enrique

---------------Faye/Guthrie

Guttierez/Milner -------- Duff/Milner/Guttierez

------------------N'Zogbia

--------------Owen Martins

That's if we had to start the season tomorrow, but hopefully a couple more signings will change that around a bit. A creative mid is a must for me, then Charlie can play left wing if he gets his head screwed on correctly.

Benfica close on Reyes

Atletico forward set for loan switch

By Francisco Acedo  Last updated: 5th August 2008

Championship 2008/09

Atletico Madrid forward Jose Antonio Reyes is on the brink of joining Benfica on loan.

According to reports in Spain, Reyes will tie up a temporary move to the Portuguese club in the next 24 hours after two weeks of negotiations.

There is also expected to be an option for a permanent sale at the end of the season for a fee in the region of 15million euros (£11.9million).

Reyes had a miserable first season at Atletico following his switch from Arsenal last summer.

He made 26 appearances but failed to score a single goal, and no longer appears to figure in the plans of Javier Aguirre.

The 24-year-old, who has also spent time at Sevilla and Real Madrid, was linked with a move to Newcastle last month.

We need to fuck these muppets over for the Aimar deal.

Loan deal would be even better