Hertha Berlin 1 - 0 Newcastle - 01/08/08 - post match reaction from page 17

Skirge

Proof tonight that, assuming Coloccini comes in, we need a right back (geremi was useless), a left back (N'Zogbia is not a left back), a centre midfielder (Butt is finished) and a forward (no explanation needed).

Still a bit of work to do then. Jonas, Duff and Guthrie were pluses. Add to them Owen, Faye, Beye, and Martins and we're not too bad. Smith and Shola MUST be gone by the end of this transfer window. I can't watch them play again. I would have preferred Danquah and Godsmark to have got a game! Bit of pace and youthful exuberance.

Coloccini will fill the right back void, otherwise I agree.

No, he won't. If he signs he'll be the main centre-back at the club and you can't just shift him out wide if Beye gets injured, that's fucking stupid, because it leaves us with shite in the middle.

Proof tonight that, assuming Coloccini comes in, we need a right back (geremi was useless), a left back (N'Zogbia is not a left back), a centre midfielder (Butt is finished) and a forward (no explanation needed).

Still a bit of work to do then. Jonas, Duff and Guthrie were pluses. Add to them Owen, Faye, Beye, and Martins and we're not too bad. Smith and Shola MUST be gone by the end of this transfer window. I can't watch them play again. I would have preferred Danquah and Godsmark to have got a game! Bit of pace and youthful exuberance.

I agree in theory, but f he plays really well at centre half, I would be loathe to move him to right back if Beye got injured. A young, pacy right back would be nice. Hopefully Vetere will pull his finger out and find someone on the cheap. If we could get Warnock, Coloccini and a young right back for 15m, the defence would be sorted. Holding midfielder and a striker would finish our business.

No, he won't. If he signs he'll be the main centre-back at the club and you can't just shift him out wide if Beye gets injured, that's fucking stupid, because it leaves us with shite in the middle.

Can't Bassong play across the defence? If not then I can see Taylor being used as cover on the left and right.

Guest neesy111

Milner looked lively to the naked eye, but in actual fact was shit.

Guthrie looks tidy in a non-threatening sort of way.

Jonas looks F-A-S-T

still created our best opening though

Who?

milner at the end, unfortunately he only had smith in the box though

Disagree about Butt, the major issue, however, is that he's identical to Guthrie as a player, apparently. Need something different in the midfield, someone like Modric or Aim... s***.

Really? I confess to having seen none of pre-season thus far, but i've heard that Guthrie can pass the ball. :dontknow:

... Butt spreads the play more effectively and accurately than any other player in our side.

This is the sort of game Oba would have scored in imo, lots of play on the edge of their area but a bunch of numpties fannying about or whacking it wide. He would of banged one in I am sure.

Thought we did alright. It was an onslaught in the first half from us with no end product. Smith is not a footballer and should be sured for being a con man. Amobi is injured cos he doesnt want to move away from "As you like it". You can bet you bottom dollar Viduka will be injured next season (probably around Xmas time when the weather is much nicer in Oz) and if you look at Owen I don't think he has ever put a full season in since he was a pro due to some injury. So going off that and the fact that that Oba is injured (and just lost his mum) I am looking at the likes of Crouch going to Portsmouth and thinking we should have been in for him. I would be looking to bring Sib back at this rate.

Bottom line is our squad is not balanced and not big enough and Ashley should be getting his cheque book out now. If we only sign another two players this transfer window I will be very dissapointed but the way keagan is talking the transfers are fast going from 4-5 in January (BEFORE we released a load of other players) to 2 now.

We have just over two weeks to get the players we need which is worrying.

An onslaught?

Yeah we ran riot in the first half loads of attacking play put no end product in the final third. Guiterrez, Milner and Zoggie were all getting forward.

Disagree... i think it'd be top if Coloccini can play right-back aswell as centre-back. Aye, have him as first choice in the centre, but if Beye does get injured (which looks unlikely; i know, it's difficult to tell but his injury record is very good)... then shift Colo out there and there's three very capable deputies to come in for whatever length of time (Faye/Taylor/Caçapa).

Certainly a better proposition being able to bring in someone like Faye or Taylor as cover than the likes of Edgar.

Really hope the Coloccini deal comes through.

Thought we did alright. It was an onslaught in the first half from us with no end product. Smith is not a footballer and should be sured for being a con man. Amobi is injured cos he doesnt want to move away from "As you like it". You can bet you bottom dollar Viduka will be injured next season (probably around Xmas time when the weather is much nicer in Oz) and if you look at Owen I don't think he has ever put a full season in since he was a pro due to some injury. So going off that and the fact that that Oba is injured (and just lost his mum) I am looking at the likes of Crouch going to Portsmouth and thinking we should have been in for him. I would be looking to bring Sib back at this rate.

Bottom line is our squad is not balanced and not big enough and Ashley should be getting his cheque book out now. If we only sign another two players this transfer window I will be very dissapointed but the way keagan is talking the transfers are fast going from 4-5 in January (BEFORE we released a load of other players) to 2 now.

We have just over two weeks to get the players we need which is worrying.

An onslaught?

Yeah we ran riot in the first half loads of attacking play put no end product in the final third. Guiterrez, Milner and Zoggie were all getting forward.

Not sure we quite ran riot. If you want to see what running riot is, watch what happens to us in Manchester in a couple of weeks.

This is the sort of game Oba would have scored in imo, lots of play on the edge of their area but a bunch of numpties fannying about or whacking it wide. He would of banged one in I am sure.

As much as I hate the hero worship of Martins I have to agree. What was Smith doing in the first half when he had a chance of a shot but he backheeled it to one of their players instead? The lad is a fucking joke.

Jonas looks F-A-S-T

Who?

Unfortunately it's typical Milner though. Looks great until it's time to deliver the final pass or strike on goal. He must have hit 20 crosses today, and I don't think he found a Newcastle player with one. The final one which he ballooned high and slow sums him up really.

Will Coloccini free up Taylor to cover right-back, or will they be playing together (dropping Faye)?

In that case I would prefer Faye to be our holding midfielder instead of Butt. Personally, I think Faye is undroppable unless we get two new first team DC's, which is highly unlikely..

We need 2 good midfielders for the middle of the park, even in the spells where we dominted there was no-one there to give a telling ball. Knocking it wide to Milner is just a waste of time. Butt is way past it and Geremi and Cacapa just look old and tired.

Guti and Ricky looked good. Duff one or two good moments.

Guthrie sprightly first half.

No, he won't. If he signs he'll be the main centre-back at the club and you can't just shift him out wide if Beye gets injured, that's f***ing stupid, because it leaves us with s**** in the middle.

Disagree... i think it'd be top if Coloccini can play right-back aswell as centre-back. Aye, have him as first choice in the centre, but if Beye does get injured (which looks unlikely; i know, it's difficult to tell but his injury record is very good)... then shift Colo out there and there's three very capable deputies to come in for whatever length of time (Faye/Taylor/Caçapa).

Certainly a better proposition being able to bring in someone like Faye or Taylor as cover than the likes of Edgar.

Bearing in mind that one of those 'deputies' will be the other centre back, and Cacapa can't handle the premiership, we'd then be back to Taylor and Faye. As long as we don't play anyone half-decent, then, yes, we may be able to scrape by. But they're not exactly the best partnership, are they?

Jonas looks F-A-S-T

Who?

Unfortunately it's typical Milner though. Looks great until it's time to deliver the final pass or strike on goal. He must have hit 20 crosses today, and I don't think he found a Newcastle player with one. The final one which he ballooned high and slow sums him up really.

Milner:11 crosses 0 found one of our players.

Disagree about Butt, the major issue, however, is that he's identical to Guthrie as a player, apparently. Need something different in the midfield, someone like Modric or Aim... s***.

Really? I confess to having seen none of pre-season thus far, but i've heard that Guthrie can pass the ball. :dontknow:

... Butt spreads the play more effectively and accurately than any other player in our side.

Sorry man, but i just disagree entirely there. Spreading the play is what he simply cannot do in my eyes. The only time he became possible of linking play and/or suppying a bit of a throughball - was when Geremi was close by to his right, or Martins/Owen were floating around everywhere, again close by. All in that magical 4-3-3 period.

I lost count of the amount of times i went mental at Butt 'spreading the play' by playing a shite, over/under-hit, inaccurate chip towards the corner flags. It looked like his only manoevre at one point.

We need 2 good midfielders for the middle of the park, even in the spells where we dominted there was no-one there to give a telling ball. Knocking it wide to Milner is just a waste of time. Butt is way past it and Geremi and Cacapa just look old and tired.

Guti and Ricky looked good. Duff one or two good moments.

Guthrie sprightly first half.

We also need a striker IMO, preferably a mobile target man. We only have Oba and Owen at the moment. I refuse to acknowledge Ameobi and Smith as options.

Will Coloccini free up Taylor to cover right-back, or will they be playing together (dropping Faye)?

In that case I would prefer Faye to be our holding midfielder instead of Butt. Personally, I think Faye is undroppable unless we get two new first team DC's, which is highly unlikely..

I agree, but I'm not sure KK does. Not seen anything to suggest he rates Faye as a midfielder (although I admit his opportunities to put him there have been limited). Also think Taylor will keep his place if Coloccini comes in.

No, he won't. If he signs he'll be the main centre-back at the club and you can't just shift him out wide if Beye gets injured, that's f***ing stupid, because it leaves us with s**** in the middle.

Bearing in mind that one of those 'deputies' will be the other centre back, and Cacapa can't handle the premiership, we'd then be back to Taylor and Faye. As long as we don't play anyone half-decent, then, yes, we may be able to scrape by. But they're not exactly the best partnership, are they?

Five clean sheets in eight at the end of last season. What are you expecting for cover like? ???

Congrats on another failure to backup a random claim re: Caçapa.

Sorry man, but i just disagree entirely there. Spreading the play is what he simply cannot do in my eyes. The only time he became possible of linking play and/or suppying a bit of a throughball - was when Geremi was close by to his right, or Martins/Owen were floating around everywhere, again close by. All in that magical 4-3-3 period.

I lost count of the amount of times i went mental at Butt 'spreading the play' by playing a shite, over/under-hit, inaccurate chip towards the corner flags. It looked like his only manoevre at one point.

Butt shouldn't really still be first choice. I hope there is another Cm coming in.