RCD Mallorca 1 - 0 Newcastle - 03/08/08 - post match reaction from page 16

Dave

Guest Jungle Barry

I know it's difficult not to but bear in mind pre-season games rarely have any bearing on the season.

For instance, we looked fairly decent in last summers run outs and we all know what happened after that

Hopefully no more than 3 or 4, but how many of this mob are going to be called into action over the course of a season, especially if we don't see Barton for months, who's been no great shakes himself in black and white anyway.

One or two in the team wouldn't be that bad, as long as the one or two doesn't include Duff or Smith.

Know Keegan is probably working his ass off behind the scenes getting in new signings, but it just seems like he doesn't see the urgency...

I reckon he sees the urgency more than anyone else at the club.

Guest loonietoonie

Pre season has been a disaster so far. Lets hope we can get something like a first team on the pitch by next weekend, at least.

I wouldn't look into results or even performances so far.

quoted for truth

Judge when we get the players back

awful preseason so far but it can only get better right?

Know Keegan is probably working his ass off behind the scenes getting in new signings, but it just seems like he doesn't see the urgency...

Why talk shit like that? Think about it KK would be the last one at the club to be relaxed about our situation.

Should have gone with this from the start

Harper

Edgar    Taylor  Bassong  Enrique

Cacapa

Guthrie        Butt              Duff

Zoggy      Milner

I know it's difficult not to but bear in mind pre-season games rarely have any bearing on the season.

For instance, we looked fairly decent in last summers run outs and we all know what happened after that

You'd rather win than lose though. It's not even the results, we've not had a shot to speak of in three games (one against Doncaster). Owen and Viduka will get injuries and a striker is absolutely critical in the next 28 days.

but come on look at is as how many of this team will be starting the season?

Hopefully no more than 3 or 4, but how many of this mob are going to be called into action over the course of a season, especially if we don't see Barton for months, who's been no great shakes himself in black and white anyway.

Thats the biggest worry, its fine have a decent starting 11 but the sad fact is no player lasts an entire season without injury. We need better squad players too, likes of Butt and Geremi will be no good at all soon enough and with Smith being a toal waste anyway.

First game i watch this season and the only ones to be performing decent is Guthrie and Duff when he gets the ball (never seems to get it though).

Milner is piss, he always takes that extra shitover instead of crossing it

Smith is god awful does nothing right

Enrique is awful defensively always makes it complicated.

I agree. Quite how people think Keegan won't know this lot aren't good enough is beyond me.

You'd rather win than lose though. It's not even the results, we've not had a shot to speak of in three games (one against Doncaster). Owen and Viduka will get injuries and a striker is absolutely critical in the next 28 days.

Totally agree, we need another forward.

Guest Milburnthedog

Absolutely. All the 'fringe' players have done so far is work on fitness. The few regulars have had little benefit at all.

Lets hope to see the real team play together starting this week.

I agree. Quite how people think Keegan won't know this lot aren't good enough is beyond me.

Its one thing knowing it, its another thing to convince the board he needs lots of signings.

If it means we're attempting to sign players of the quality of Coloccini then I'm prepared to wait.

Absolute pants again. No end product in the final third. Alan Smith can't hold an ice cream up properly. Milner can only hit he first man and Duff looks like he is doing Micheal Flatley on the ball (but Duff proably earns more per perfomance). Beaten off Doncaster ffs its gonna be a long season.

If it means we're attempting to sign players of the quality of Coloccini then I'm prepared to wait.

If there's at least two attacking players to come of that quality, I'll be pretty happy. :thup:

It's critical for the Man Utd match. Without a decent striker we'll probably get absolutely tonked (again *sigh*).

I seem to remember you having the opposite stance a month ago :)

Well in the next month if he gets shot of Milner and Smith I'll really sit up and take notice!

The most unproductive players at the club if you ask me

This is PAINFULL to watch..really is

Smith is crap, no he's beyond crap..i honestly believe that i would've done better in 3.5 games than he did this pre-season..he's woefull, he actually ruined more attacks for us then any of their team..

The rest have been average, Enrique looked ok going forward, Bassong missed a really good chance to score.. Guthrie looks ok but he can't pick up a player if he's 20 yards away from him..

Really feel for Keegan, but if he keeps playing Smith i'll really lose any sympathy i have for him.

poor 1st half although the team got slightly better as the half went on, couldn't get any worse as for the first 15 mins it looked like we'd just pulled 11 blokes off the street to play as no one had a clue what they were doing.  We have no threat, Smith, crap or not plays with his back to goal and no one from midfield is running beyond him so even on the few occassions that he does manage to get the ball under control he's no options.

For all we are missing a virtual whole team we should still be doing better than we are.