Sir Bobby: I'm Dying

Leazes1986

All the fixture changes, the jetlag from playing Thursday-Sunday all the time, something was just lost completely since the Partizan game, the magic had gone.

That's the pinpoint of when it started going wrong for me

The magic had gone because the players were a bunch of spoiled prats and showed no respect towards SBR.  Always layed most of the blame on the players at that time. They'd never have the same respect SBR has.... even put together. (You know who I'm talking about.....Jenas, Dyer, Bellamy, Robert etc)

Didn't also enjoy reading some of the abuse he used to get on certain old NUFC messgae boards. "Old idiot", "clueless old git"...blah blah blah.

No one in world football has my respect more than Sir Bobby Robson.

Should never have been sacked.

Said it at the time, and I'll say it again now.

Hope he's well enough to enjoy Christmas with his family and all the best to him for whatever time he's got left, hopefully a long time. Utter legend as a manager, and pure class as a man.

I was shocked to see him this bad. I always luv Sir Bobby ever since Italia 90 his England team was the best England team I ever saw in my life time. He came here against all odds and change us as a decent side he could have done the job for further 3 years. FFS was stupid enogh to sack him but he did lots of things that wasnt right. We miss Sir Bobby above all his integrity. Sir Boob will never walk out of this club regardless of any situation.

There's a good chapter about Sir Bobby in 'Billy Furious - And they wonder why we drink?'.

The way he treated Solano was awful btw.

People moaning about Martins keep being subbed, I remember a time for a season or two where you could pretty much guarantee the substitutes coming off would be Solano & Robert. Selling Solano and replacing him with Ambrose was an aberration of a decision.

There's loads of stuff talked about where it went wrong and why we are where we are and who was to blame etc etc.

As far as I'm concerned post Keegan we made appointments that should have worked but didn't. But the board got it right when they had the good sense to appoint SBR and, when it had the funds, they backed him.

But the sacking and especially the handling of it is where it went wrong and it's been downhill since. You'd like to think that a board of directors would stand by a manager who had done so much and that they would work out a succession plan with SBR who might just be capable and willing to help with such a plan - but they didn't.

The board at the time had its own issues of unity I suspect - and sad to say we the fans applied pressure and cannot be held blameless.    

There's a good chapter about Sir Bobby in 'Billy Furious - And they wonder why we drink?'.

The way he treated Solano was awful btw.

People moaning about Martins keep being subbed, I remember a time for a season or two where you could pretty much guarantee the substitutes coming off would be Solano & Robert. Selling Solano and replacing him with Ambrose was an aberration of a decision.

There was a stat around that time that Solano was the most subbed player in the Premiership, he was always getting brought off.

Looking back, he didn't sign many good players either when you consider the length of time he was here, most of our better players were already here when he took over but credit to him as he was the one who got them playing.

Things are about twist and turns the most disappointed events for me more than sacking Sir Bbby is how we couldn't get O'niell in 2006 I couldn't belive FFS give the job for Roeder. Had we get oNeil thats year we could be sound team by now. Things are changing for the worest at this club I don't usually hope for miracle but for this one I want some miracle. 

There was a stat around that time that Solano was the most subbed player in the Premiership, he was always getting brought off.

Looking back, he didn't sign many good players either when you consider the length of time he was here, most of our better players were already here when he took over but credit to him as he was the one who got them playing.

He signed the players which transformed us from a team struggling in mid-table to one that gave us our best ever finish in the CL.  The sign of a good manager isn't who he buys, it's what he does with the players he has got and I can't fault him for that.  He generated the cash he spent by gaining us £500k for every place he lifted us up the table.

Things are about twist and turns the most disappointed events for me more than sacking Sir Bbby is how we couldn't get O'niell in 2006 I couldn't belive FFS give the job for Roeder. Had we get oNeil thats year we could be sound team by now. Things are changing for the worest at this club I don't usually hope for miracle but for this one I want some miracle. 

Ask yourself why O'Neill wouldn't touch this club with a bargepole back then. And ask yourself the same question for right now.

Ask yourself why O'Neill wouldn't touch this club with a bargepole back then. And ask yourself the same question for right now.

Villas state and situation back then also was not that great but at least they wanted him. If we wanted him more there might be some chance he might come here. I just don't get FFS though imagin sacking Bobby and get Sounece then sacking him and getting Roader and saying this is a top 8 job in the world the guy was a joke.

Guest Howaythetoon

The season we finished 5th was by and large not a very good one due to expectations mainly and some very poor performances but looking back as a stand alone season not using where we are today to influence bias, it wasn't all that bad actually. We only lost 8 games that season and were defensively very strong, we were hard to beat and again looking back, with all those injuries and no money spent, we did very well to finish where we did and reach the UEFA Cup semis. We were still progressing and as far as I was concerned a blip was inevitable really as for the previous two seasons we had overperformed. We went from mid-table to 4th and 3rd in consecutive seasons, there was always going to be a slow down period. That slow down being just 2 places dropped isn't to be sniffed at though. The following season we went from 5th to 14th. Bobby had us in the right place and to my mind was badly undermined by a number of people and factors towards the end which had the biggest impact on that slow down or our fall whatever people want to call it under him prior to his outrageous sacking.

The season we finished 5th was by and large not a very good one due to expectations mainly and some very poor performances but looking back as a stand alone season not using where we are today to influence bias, it wasn't all that bad actually. We only lost 8 games that season and were defensively very strong, we were hard to beat and again looking back, with all those injuries and no money spent, we did very well to finish where we did and reach the UEFA Cup semis. We were still progressing and as far as I was concerned a blip was inevitable really as for the previous two seasons we had overperformed. We went from mid-table to 4th and 3rd in consecutive seasons, there was always going to be a slow down period. That slow down being just 2 places dropped isn't to be sniffed at though. The following season we went from 5th to 14th. Bobby had us in the right place and to my mind was badly undermined by a number of people and factors towards the end which had the biggest impact on that slow down or our fall whatever people want to call it under him prior to his outrageous sacking.

The bit I've highlighted in bold isn't too dissimilar to where we are now. ;)

it wasn't very good because of the massive drop in standards of play regardless of the results.

That's the way I also feel, I think with the right financial backing we would have moved forwards again and I think with backing we would have finished that season in the top 5 again.

it wasn't very good because of the massive drop in standards of play regardless of the results.

The club as a whole was on a massive downer when we finished 5th because of us going out of the CL and we needed some new blood in the team to freshen things up, that didn't happen.

I don't really want to go any further because this thead could easily go the wrong way.

I don't think you can take that as a stand-alone season though. It would be like Man Utd finishing 2nd or 3rd this season and getting to the Quarters of the Champions League, before starting to regularly finish 5th or 6th in the table and only competing in the UEFA Cup. Man Utd fans wouldn't look back at that season where they finished 3rd and did ok in the Champions League and think it "wasn't bad" as a stand-alone season.

Guest Howaythetoon

Going into the New Year of that season Shearer was playing with an injury, Bellamy was out, Cort was sold and Lua Lua was out on loan, and so too was Chopra if I remember right. We brought Bridges in! That was a shocking state of affairs.

Guest Howaythetoon

The bit I've highlighted in bold isn't too dissimilar to where we are now. ;)

We had a more settled and balanced side, better star players in Robert, Bellamy, Shearer and Dyer et al and a fantastic manager.

Guest elbee909

Speaking of Robson, one of his signings Carl Cort has just signed for Norwich. :lol:

Or was it Emile Mpenza? Who knows.

And Francis Jeffers, one of Wenger's signings, is playing for Sheffield Wednesday.