Sir Bobby: I'm Dying

Leazes1986

I remain adament if he was allowed to manage out the rest of 04/05 and helped Freddy to pick his successor, none of this would have happened and we wouldn't be where we are now.

The club in its current predicament is a mockery of everything he did for us.

Guest Howaythetoon

What got me was that Liverpool finished 5th that season and were utterly woeful, he'd have turned us around. Not saying we'd have finished 5th but we certainly wouldn't have been relegated eh Duggie... or was it Sir John? Ah what the heck, history now.

Bloody hell, horrible to see the great man looking like that.. 2 years ago today I lost my old man to cancer  :-[

Tell you what though if theres one man to give the big C a run for its money it's Bobby..  :clap:

In footballing terms, the tragedy is that Sir John Hall wasn't able to get him as manager when Keegan resigned the first time. I think we'd be a top four club now, instead of running around in ever-decreasing circles, the way we have been since Bobby was sacked.

What got me was that Liverpool finished 5th that season and were utterly woeful, he'd have turned us around. Not saying we'd have finished 5th but we certainly wouldn't have been relegated eh Duggie... or was it Sir John? Ah what the heck, history now.

Completely disagree there. The signs of a decline had set in long before Bobby left.

There'll always be some "romantic hindsight" I guess but, that season (03-04) was very poor. Played frustrating football almost the whole season.

I'd still gladly swap it for everything we've seen since. UEFA Cup football didn't help us that year at all, especially in regards to the Wolves game.

Romantic hindsight indeed. That season (03-04) was very poor. Played frustrating football almost the whole season.

Yep. 2 away wins all season, and lost points at home to the likes of Bolton, Birmingham, Wolves as well as being knocked out of the Carling Cup at home to Division One WBA.

There'll always be some "romantic hindsight" I guess but, that season (03-04) was very poor. Played frustrating football almost the whole season.

I'd still gladly swap it for everything we've seen since. UEFA Cup football didn't help us that year at all, especially in regards to the Wolves game.

If anything it was the UEFA Cup that kept our season going imo.

All the fixture changes, the jetlag from playing Thursday-Sunday all the time, something was just lost completely since the Partizan game, the magic had gone.

That's the pinpoint of when it started going wrong for me.

Something I feel I need to bring up. It's been talked up recently about how much certain people care about Newcastle. This is a man who was treated disgracefully by the club, is terminally ill, and yet still seems to make pretty much every home game. He cares. He's a legend, a man of dignity, class and brilliance.

Guest palnese

Something I feel I need to bring up. It's been talked up recently about how much certain people care about Newcastle. This is a man who was treated disgracefully by the club, is terminally ill, and yet still seems to make pretty much every home game. He cares. He's a legend, a man of dignity, class and brilliance.

:clap:

All the fixture changes, the jetlag from playing Thursday-Sunday all the time, something was just lost completely since the Partizan game, the magic had gone.

Can't remember Souness being allowed this excuse mind, plus we had an FA Cup run thrown into the mix too.

I'd still take that season every year, and I mean EVERY YEAR. We finished 5th place and up until a week before the end of the season, we were inches from getting 4th place. The UEFA Cup was nowt in comparison.

This is what I've never got. How anyone can say we underachieved in 03/04. Nearly 4th place, and UEFA Cup Semi Final. That's a fucking success to me.

Can't remember Souness being allowed this excuse mind, plus we had an FA Cup run thrown into the mix too.

He finished nine places lower though.

He finished nine places lower though.

:lol:

I'd still take that season every year, and I mean EVERY YEAR. We finished 5th place and up until a week before the end of the season, we were inches from getting 4th place. The UEFA Cup was nowt in comparison.

This is what I've never got. How anyone can say we underachieved in 03/04. Nearly 4th place, and UEFA Cup Semi Final. That's a fucking success to me.

We were very poor at times though, especially away from home, that's undeniable. We threw tons of points away that season, at one point we seemed to be conceding a last minute equaliser every week (I remember John, Stead and fucking Lua Lua in very quick succession) - at least something's not changed, right down to the ex-player. :rolleyes:

This is what I've never got. How anyone can say we underachieved in 03/04. Nearly 4th place, and UEFA Cup Semi Final. That's a f***ing success to me.

We underachieved in comparison with where we'd been, and should have been.

It would be like Man Utd finishing 3rd this season and getting to the Champions League Semis this season.

Will never forget the day I heard he was sacked by the club, was like a JFK moment for me. Was in a train station in Crewe walking with my bag and received a text - dropped my bag and stood there just in shock. Almost missed my bloody train because of it.

Was a legend, is a legend, and will always be a legend in football. Howay the Bob!  O0