Newcastle United 2-1 Valencia - 09/08/08 - Post Match Reaction from Page 22

Dave

match ratings

given:6- not a lot to do and had no chance with the goal but what he did he did well

beye:6.5- solid game, not outstanding

taylor:6- decent game, has to watch the forearm in the prem

cacapa:7- very composed at the back, ran the ball a few times and gave the team some impetus. good game

zog:7 possibly at fault for the goal and not great defensively but very threatening going forward

milner:7.5- deserved the goal with goood vision and passing and a few tricks, also tracked back well, still needs to work on crossing

butt:6.5 some very good tackles but ageing (sometimes turned as a yard off the pace) and doesnt have as much as an influence as needed. tries to fire too many hopeful balls to get things going as well.

guthrie:6- solid game with good passing but needs to fire the team a bit more and get things going foward a bit. may be better with another cm partner (barton??)

gutierrez-8 some good runs and passes, needed to be given the ball more

duff:8.5- another good performance with a goal. kept the ball, passed well, ran well,

martins:8- showing intelligence to his game, running at the right time, passing at the right time and setting people free. creates space for others and finds space for himself to be picked out in, got into good positions and with a proper strike partner should expect 15+ goals next season

Milner was easily MOTM imo.

We're looking very impressive tbh, we really need to replace Butt though.

2-1.

Butt was defensively really really good.

not really the point, if you give the ball away as much as he does you dont belong in the team

Duff and Milner are two players who I have pretty much given up on to this point. It would be great if they can produce this when it matters and that's the key. Nice to win, but the more pleasing aspect is the football was good.

Get the fk in!!

Jonas was mint again today, Zoggy sprung to life at the end really took the game to them :D Guthrie should take the corners from now on, both Duff's and Milners corners were shocking. We held our own against a much more together squad, yeah we only came into it more after they made their changes but I am more much impressed game by game.

Duff and Milner are two players who I have pretty much given up on to this point. It would be great if they can produce this when it matters and that's the key. Nice to win, but the more pleasing aspect is the football was good.

I find Duff and Milner frustrating beyond belief, Duff had a good (by his standards) second half, and Milner put in one of his more decent performances, but I would still replace them both given the chance.

The thought of playing Butt going into this season fills me with most dread, followed by the name Steven Taylor.

Everything else is coco though  :lol:

I find Duff and Milner frustrating beyond belief, Duff had a good (by his standards) second half, and Milner put in one of his more decent performances, but I would still replace them both given the chance.

The thought of playing Butt going into this season fills me with most dread, followed by the name Steven Taylor.

Everything else is coco though  :lol:

Duff had a good game, not just a good second half and Milner has been very good these last two games. With Jonas, Duff, Milner and Zog we have plenty of quality on the wings. Defensively I think we are pretty well stocked as well, although I would have liked to see Bassong at left back today rather than Zog, just to see if he would make the grade as a back up left back. If we can replace Smith with a young, strong striker and add some genuine quality to our centre midfield we are in business.