Newcastle United 2-1 Valencia - 09/08/08 - Post Match Reaction from Page 22

Dave

Really enjoyed the match today, excellent for a pre season game as you never know what your going to get and plenty of positives to take into the season, must say i was very impressed with Valencia, at times we were chasing shadows and couldn't get near them, never mind get the ball, some real class in that side with the likes of Silva, Villa, Vicente, Baraja, Joaquin etc, there won't be many teams better than them come to SJP this season.

Only Bad point was the ridiculous booing of Alan Smith, some "fans" leave me speachless some times, yes Smith may not be the best player in the world and there is no denying he is struggling at the moment with both form and confidence but he is still going out, not hiding and trying his best and giving it a 100% effort.  Bottom line is we are supporters of NEWCASTLE UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB, we go to SJP to SUPPORT the team, Smith is part of the team so he gets supported, simple really, you may not like him, you may think he's a waste of space(i do) but while i may slate him in the pub or on here while he's on the pitch i'm with him 100%.

I'm dreading the return of Barton cos i'm dreading the reaction, the media will already be sharpening their knives in anticipation of Joey getting some abuse when he makes his return, they will love it if he returns to booing and will go to town on it and give them another excuse to rip into the club and try and cause a split in the camp.

bizzarly barton will probably get more cheers than boos.

Duff was cack, dunno what everyone was watching tbh.

My hero. :smitten:

Smith doesn't give 100% effort either, despite what folk have been claiming AGAIN, not even close. I didn't boo but if it has any effect re: getting rid then it'll have been a good thing.

Overall I thought we played quite well. MOTM: Jonas.

SOME SPURS FAN TOLD ME YESTERDAY THAT THEY ARE LINING UP A 12M BID FOR OWEN, ANY TRUTH?

Wise was in London yesterday and tabled a £10.43 mil + Owen bid for Kaboul.  Your guess is as good as mine as to whether it will be accepted, but I can't see us being interested in a player like Owen. 

[/Martin Jol]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Was pleased with the game and it's heartening to see us trying to play good football.

Can't remember Given making too many saves but they looked a really good team despite having a shit season last time out. We're not far away from being a good team and we've still got Enrique, Owen, Faye, Coloccini and Viduka to come back into the squad. Like the look of Guthrie and Gutierrez but a quality striker and a midfielder would make a shitload of difference.

Reminded that we're actually pretty good and we're only going to get better. Fancy us to have a decent season. :)

Guest Heneage

Really enjoyed the match today, excellent for a pre season game as you never know what your going to get and plenty of positives to take into the season, must say i was very impressed with Valencia, at times we were chasing shadows and couldn't get near them, never mind get the ball, some real class in that side with the likes of Silva, Villa, Vicente, Baraja, Joaquin etc, there won't be many teams better than them come to SJP this season.

Only Bad point was the ridiculous booing of Alan Smith, some "fans" leave me speachless some times, yes Smith may not be the best player in the world and there is no denying he is struggling at the moment with both form and confidence but he is still going out, not hiding and trying his best and giving it a 100% effort.  Bottom line is we are supporters of NEWCASTLE UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB, we go to SJP to SUPPORT the team, Smith is part of the team so he gets supported, simple really, you may not like him, you may think he's a waste of space(i do) but while i may slate him in the pub or on here while he's on the pitch i'm with him 100%.

I'm dreading the return of Barton cos i'm dreading the reaction, the media will already be sharpening their knives in anticipation of Joey getting some abuse when he makes his return, they will love it if he returns to booing and will go to town on it and give them another excuse to rip into the club and try and cause a split in the camp.

Eeriely true, he came out tongiht as Valencia lads were leaving  got really good reaction.

I don't really advocate booing, but i'd only be really angry if we were in the middle of the season. In a twisted way, and as Wullie says, if it helps get rid of him then go for it. :dontknow: Say that through gritted teeth - booing your own players is a bit dodgy like.

Seemed pretty heavy from the Gallowgate btw.

Really enjoyable game with a very decent atmosphere it has to be said. There were some very good performances from one or two, namely Beye i thought and N'Zogbia was good too. Duff had a decent game and i wasn't surprised to hear him named as man of the match; but it was all about Jonas for me today. I couldn't understand why they were insisting on using the right-hand side for large parts of the game, when Jonas and Zoggy were in a lot of space and linking up well. Jonas seems like a bit of an ox n'all, and can charge through players with pace - could be a real steal if this performance is anything to go by.

Given - 6. Shrug, rarely needed but there were one or two decent punches and a few good kick-outs, which was very refreshing and a nice change from him.

Beye - 6. Looks a bit rusty still but put in some crunching tackles and held the line well. Steady going forward.

Taylor - 6. He was alright, i didn't think him and Caçapa linked together that well or played the ball out of defense nearly as well enough. Was like watching a tennis game with them two passing it about at the back. Nice contribution for the winner, though.

Caçapa - 6. See above, really.

N'Zogbia - 7. Defensively suspect but i'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt cos he simply isn't a defender. He did well at what he's good at - linking with forwards, running at players, getting in the box. Dangerous, i though.

Milner - 7. Decent, but as i keep on seeing when i go to the live games, painfully slow. Some decent ventures into the box but he needs to learn to pull the trigger quickly, be it with crosses or attempts on goal.

Guthrie - 6. I was a tad disappointed after quite a bit of hype, actually, didn't see much evidence of him being a serial ball-retainer (what a title) and i'd hoped he'd push on a bit better. I forgive him though cos of his naff CM partner...

Butt - 5. Thought he was fairly poor for large parts of the game tbh. Lost the ball so cheaply, but to his credit made one or two good recovering tackles. He shouldn't have to make them in the first place though if he could find his man. Same old.

Gutierrez - 8. My man of the match, personally - really did look very quick, very strong, and very positive when he was on the ball. Criminally underused for large segments of the game and was a pivotal figure in both goals. Looking good.

Duff - 7. Looked a different player to last season, and i can relate to those who say he could fill in with that roaming, busy role that Martins occupied at the end of last season. Put himself about well and did well for the goal.

Martins - 6. Not much to say, really. He wasn't in it. The chorus of groans when he got replaced for Smith were quite funny though.

Sub: Smith - 4. Was literally aghast when he tried to do that bicycle kick in the middle of the park. And that shot... i mean... there are no words.

Sub: Edgar - 6. I thought he looked pretty decent when he came on, actually.

Sub: Bassong - 6. Shrug.

Was an enjoyable day from start to finish really. :)

EDIT: One minor grumble; the club shop weren't selling that new magazine with Mike Ashley's exclusive in. Which i thought was piss poor. Oh, and the noisy little c***s i was amongst, chanting and balling on the train home. Bellends.

Would that be the train from Newcastle to Birmingham New Street cos I couldn't breathe on that was absolutely rammed.

Eeriely true, he came out tongiht as Valencia lads were leaving  got really good reaction.

I'd prefer cheers as it means the media won't then spin it and have a go at KK and the club for not sacking him.  If the fans boo him the press will have a field day.  If there are fans who feel strongly and can't bring themselves to cheer/applaud him, which i can understand then i'd prefer them to just remain silent.

From my point of view i think i focused Joey Barton with his head screwed on properly is a top footballer and if Keegan get get into his head and get him playing the football that he did when they were both at Man City then he will be an asset to the football club, whatever happens this is probably the lads most important season of his career so lets hope he rises to the occassion.  Scoring the winner with a man of the match performance would be redemption and a good way to repay KK's faith!!

Anyone else see Smith at the end of the game? He walked over on his own to the East Stand, the Gallowgate, then turned to the Milburn, and applauded the fans. This was after everyone else had gone off towards the tunnel. He then took his shirt off and I thought for a moment that he was going to throw it to the crowd, but then he just tucked it under his arm and walked off.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it (Wishful thinking?) but it looked to me for all the world as if he was saying goodbye.

Oh, and the booing was ridiculous. He's a Newcastle player, he tries his hardest and never says a bad word about the club. He's a Newcastle player and booing him is hardly likely to help his confidence one bit. Anyone booing him is frankly a moron.

Anyone else see Smith at the end of the game? He walked over on his own to the East Stand, the Gallowgate, then turned to the Milburn, and applauded the fans. This was after everyone else had gone off towards the tunnel. He then took his shirt off and I thought for a moment that he was going to throw it to the crowd, but then he just tucked it under his arm and walked off.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it (Wishful thinking?) but it looked to me for all the world as if he was saying goodbye.

We said that. We also suggested wishful thinking. :laugh:

Oh, and the booing was ridiculous. He's a Newcastle player, he tries his hardest and never says a bad word about the club. He's a Newcastle player and booing him is hardly likely to help his confidence one bit. Anyone booing him is frankly a moron.

He doesn't.

(I'm going to keep picking up on this tiresome cliched myth so I hope we sell him for that as much as anything).

Shows how strong La Liga must be if that Valencia side finished 10th last season. Good side with some cracking players.

I remember some saying we should be raiding them for players earlier in the summer.

That was before the Euros. :undecided:

Shows how strong La Liga must be if that Valencia side finished 10th last season. Good side with some cracking players.

I remember some saying we should be raiding them for players earlier in the summer.

That was before the Euros. :undecided:

Reading up on them on wikipedia. Its amusing how easy it is to be ignorant about a club's size and stature - I always assumed they were a tiny provincial club who have only achieved a degree of success in recent years.

In the all-time La Liga table, Valencia is in 4th position behind Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao. In terms of international titles, Valencia is 3rd behind Real Madrid and Barcelona, these three being the only Spanish clubs to have won more than five international trophies.

Valencia were founded in 1919, and have played their home games at the 55,000-seater Estadio Mestalla since 1923. They are soon to move into the 75,000-seater Nou Mestalla in the north-west of the city in 2009.

Valencia is the third most popular football team in Spain, only behind Real Madrid and FC Barcelona .[2] It is also one of the biggest clubs in the world in terms of number of associates (registered paying supporters), with more than 45,000 season ticket holders and another 20,000+ season ticket holders on the waiting list, which will come into effect once the new 75,000-seater stadium is built.

Apart from the lure of money, we're clearly deluded if we think we're able to sign good players from a club like that.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5871/img0638el5.jpg

Although its a disgrace to booo Smithy out, he deserves it, cause to be honest i dont care how much of a newcastle player he is, hes only here to be sucking money out of our club cause even he knows he sucks and should retire. Im sorry but hes just been woeful lately and maybe that will give him something to think about and try harder!

We cant try to be sympathic all the time! I mean if he doesnt have the talent to play too bad at least try smithy doesnt he just stands there like a big piece of dumbs****.

FACKIT IM TIRED

Although its a disgrace to booo Smithy out, he deserves it, cause to be honest i dont care how much of a newcastle player he is, hes only here to be sucking money out of our club cause even he knows he sucks and should retire. Im sorry but hes just been woeful lately and maybe that will give him something to think about and try harder!

We cant try to be sympathic all the time! I mean if he doesnt have the talent to play too bad at least try smithy doesnt he just stands there like a big piece of dumbs****.

FACKIT IM TIRED

what a load of shite...if he's sucking money out the club they all are...so booo the fucking lot of them.

Bless him

And good luck to him in the future, but his services are no longer required here, thanks Smudger, and goodbye x

FACKIT IM TIRED

what a load of s****...if he's sucking money out the club they all are...so booo the f***ing lot of them.

Ye maybe i am talking loads of shit but maybe we should be booing the lot. Im tired of this and i hope that this season this crazy omega BS ends and that we finally for the very first time since SBR make a good run. Im tired of seeing this team produce so bad result, and i hate loving this team so much. Sometimes i just feel like i cant take it anymore and seeing a player like Smith makes me wanna break my computer or TV. I just cant stand out with guys like him who does shit at all and still earns 50,000 a week. Its time to end this and i have loads of faith in Ashley.

Sorry being extreme but i just think that Smith doesnt deserve to play in the Newcastle team. He's awful and i dont know if im tired but i never express myself in this way and i absolutely hate people who do it to, but he FREAKING DESERVES TO BE BOOOOOOOOED!

Fucking morons Newcastle fans, best fans in the country? fuck off. Smith is shite yeah? just don't applaud him then, booing him whats that going to do? Lower his confidence, lower his transfer fee, and make him take less attacking risks. Today he tried some attacking move that didn't work out (cant remember what because I'm a bit worse for wear) and loads of people were saying "what the fuck was that..." ect, when all summer we have been asking for a bit of that shit? can't win with these uneducated fucking spastics that are Newcastle fans.

On the picth you either support all of the team or you don't support the team at all. Booing affects the whole team.

Smith is a clean living honest pro. Yes, he may not have worked out right for us but, we have a paper thin squad and booing isn't the answer. What must Colocinni been thinking in the stands - booing at a player in a friendly - ffs.

On the picth you either support all of the team or you don't support the team at all. Booing affects the whole team.

Smith is a clean living honest pro. Yes, he may not have worked out right for us but, we have a paper thin squad and booing isn't the answer. What must Colocinni been thinking in the stands - booing at a player in a friendly - ffs.

they do it all the time in Spain and Latin America tbh. Do agree it`s a disgrace that Smith was booed mind

Smith's an honest lad who has lost alot of ability through an horrific injury. Could he ever get back to a state where he'd be of use? Maybe, I doubt it though.

Thing is, if he was scoring for fun but at the same time being convicted of rape or something equally as bad he'd be cheered by the crowd. Thats football, the ficklest of crowds.