Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

Guest BooBoo

Most players who are going to make it are cutting the mustard at Nile's age.

Yes people point to Carroll but his phenomenal progress was very much te exception rather than the rule.

At this level, Peter Beardsley and Les Ferdinand weren't cutting the mustard as you put it.

Mick man, you know full well that the vast majority of top players showed quality at the age of 20. Perhaps not consistency, but real glimpses of their ability. Ranger hasn't I'm afraid. A couple of goals last year in a Championship winning side and nothing this season of note bar a few headless chicken appearances which to be fair, have ocassionally unsettled defences.

Mick man, you know full well that the vast majority of top players showed quality at the age of 20. Perhaps not consistency, but real glimpses of their ability. Ranger hasn't I'm afraid. A couple of goals last year in a Championship winning side and nothing this season of note bar a few headless chicken appearances which to be fair, have ocassionally unsettled defences.

Did Ranger not show something against Liverpool and Arsenal?  Did he not show something when he scored againt a Chelsea team which included John Terry?

Most players who are going to make it are cutting the mustard at Nile's age.

Yes people point to Carroll but his phenomenal progress was very much te exception rather than the rule.

At this level, Peter Beardsley and Les Ferdinand weren't cutting the mustard as you put it.

Ian Wright turned professional 3 months short of his 22nd birthday so Ranger is still a pup  ;D

Did Ranger not show something against Liverpool and Arsenal?  Did he not show something when he scored againt a Chelsea team which included John Terry?

Him and Carroll against Liverpool were unplayable. Had a poor second half today but I can't help but think the fact lovenkrands is largely anonymous that it doesn't help matter either

Guest fraser

He was severely out-muscled today and I hope he learned something from that. He had a reasonable first-half but struggled badly in the second. It's up to him really in his reaction to this. If he sticks at it and realises that against some centre-backs it's not enough to fall over and implore the referee to protect him then that's part of his education. Writing him off is a nonsense.

For the rest of the season he should be used as an impact sub and definitely not a starter.

He must go out on loan next season.

So if Shol'as not fit, Best is out for the rest of the season, we sold Carroll and Kuqi can last about 20 mins.. who starts instead of Nile ?

Who says Kuqi can only last 20 minutes? Start with Kuqi and then replace him with Ranger (as with hindsight we should have done today). If half our strikers are injured I'd rather we had a 5 man midfield (when they return from suspension) than start Ranger.

This for me. I'm not sure what his fitness levels are like, but with him being at a league club earlier in the season I imagine he's not that bad.

Give him a half/60 minutes and replace him with Ranger. If he can't last that then fuck knows :dontknow:

Needs a loan move with regular matching desperately, his positioning and vision can't improve without playing matches and we can't afford to let him learn playing for us. Soggy-face said something about Walker that rings true with Ranger as well (I paraphrase) “Kyle will be back here for sure, he’s still learning and got miles to learn but he is a talent, a real prospect but we loaned him out so he can learn somewhere else and make any beginner mistakes for someone else.”

Just caught his post match interview on .co.uk - It's really difficult to work out if anything is taken on board.

God knows how he is in training, frustrating, but no doubt got something about him.....but then the caravan park in Wales....fish farm and the fuzzy shoes....and it's all like.....ooooooh....shiny!

Come on son, love you, but....FOCUS. :angry:

Guest Stephen927

He's been taking the piss a bit at his parent club, God knows how he'd behave if we loaned him out. I'd keep him as close to the north east as possible, Scotland or somewhere like Doncaster or Carlisle. Maybe a loan to a League Two club, give him a bit of a kick up the backside and show him the level he'll be playing at if he doesn't drop this act he's got.

Of course you can say he didn't have much in the way of creativity around him, but when it came down to simple things like holding onto the ball he was a bit lacking. There's definitely something there, it's his attitude holding him back.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

http://worcsu.com/files/minisites/49373/doncaster.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/8/6/1249580886043/Nile-Ranger-001.jpg

He was on a hiding to nothing yesterday.

His main asset is pace but he was mainly dealing with balls direct to him in the air with at least one CB on him at all times. He was also paired with Loven and was pitched up against Collins who showed all his experience in dealing with Ranger with ease, i'd expect Colo or even Williamson to be able to dominate a relatively raw young forward who's given little to no direct support.

Loan next year, please.

He's been taking the piss a bit at his parent club, God knows how he'd behave if we loaned him out. I'd keep him as close to the north east as possible, Scotland or somewhere like Doncaster or Carlisle. Maybe a loan to a League Two club, give him a bit of a kick up the backside and show him the level he'll be playing at if he doesn't drop this act he's got.

Of course you can say he didn't have much in the way of creativity around him, but when it came down to simple things like holding onto the ball he was a bit lacking. There's definitely something there, it's his attitude holding him back.

Carroll went on loan to Preston, was shite and got into trouble off the pitch as well but I bet he learnt a lot from that experience.

Get Ranger out there (somewhere), even if he isn't a success on the pitch it will hopefully teach him a lesson.

His natural instinct is to scrap with and run at the defender, whereas he was trying yesterday to do as he is told and to play keepball with his back to goal. This resulted in him mostly getting it nicked off him.

A bit more of his instinctive play taking risks in the last third and roughing up the centre backs would suit him better I think. Its a pity he gave Dunne and Collins too much respect because I think he could have embarrassed them with his pace if he turned and ran at them a bit more.

They seem to be told to fall over too much nowadays, why cant the forward put the defender on his arse for a change. Ranger is getting bigger, I'm sure he could stay on his feet and do it if he was allowed too.

Ashley Young spent most of the game curled up in the foetal position everytime a defender came near him, is this what Ranger is being told to copy?

Guest toonlass

Should send him to Darlo or Hartlepool.

Send him to Ashington. That'll wake him up pretty damn sharpish!