Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

Not really, I'm a pretty positive person. Pardew's been in charge for one game, and that game he had very little influence on at his own and the players' admission. It's therefore ludicrous to declare he has 'shown intent to go and attack teams' with us.

Not really, I'm a pretty positive person. Pardew's been in charge for one game, and that game he had very little influence on at his own and the players' admission. It's therefore ludicrous to declare he has 'shown intent to go and attack teams' with us.

He never said 'with us' though. I read it to say at West Ham and Soton he played attacking football, and said he planned to do the same in his initial presser.

Unless we sign someone significantly better we should persist with the lad as Carroll's partner.

At the moment he would be better off as the impact sub but he is more useful than the other options. He has his problems (shooting confidence being the main one) however so did Carroll this time last year.

It really could be this lads time to shine and hopefully the lack of quality in depth will pay off again.

He also looks a good fit with the big AC, someone quick, full of running but also has the strength to really unsettle defences.

Time to step up Nile Power Ranger, your time has come.

Unless we sign someone significantly better we should persist with the lad as Carroll's partner.

At the moment he would be better off as the impact sub but he is more useful than the other options. He has his problems (shooting confidence being the main one) however so did Carroll this time last year.

It really could be this lads time to shine and hopefully the lack of quality in depth will pay off again.

He also looks a good fit with the big AC, someone quick, full of running but also has the strength to really unsettle defences.

Time to step up Nile Power Ranger, your time has come.

I'm sure he'll start against Man City and I'm really looking forward to seeing him.  He's a better all round player than Carroll was just over a year ago even if he hasn't had as much experience.  He doesn't need to be used as an impact sub as he's got enough going for him to be given a run of games.  His problem so far is that he hasn't had a few starts in which to gain any momentum.  I think it’s time to unleash the Ranger and see how he gets on at least until Ben Arfa is fit.  Lovenkrands and Ameobi are not going to get and better, Ranger probably is and he offers us a bit of edge up front rather than the predictability of the other 2.

He’s my tip to be the player to watch for us in 2011 if he can keep his head and put as much effort in as he has done so far when played.  His potential is massive, it’s up to him to go out and grab his place in the team and prove that he’s got it in him to be the player he should be capable of becoming.  I’ve seen players at the club who have shown promise and haven’t developed after an initial show of promise.  We’ll have to see if he’s one of those, he doesn’t look as if he will be so far.  I can see no reason why he can't go on to become Carrolls strike partner for years to come.

“I had heard about Nile prior to coming here and knew he was a talent,” said Pardew. “But I still think he has a lot to do to be a regular starter here.

“At the moment, he’s probably still at the stage of being an impact player to a degree.

When I see a bit more of him in training, and see him on time and being disciplined, that’s when I’ll feel willing to put him in the first team.

“He has potential, but he needs to get certain other things right to be a consistent performer. You need a real quality to your work in training.

If you’re a senior player, maybe you can afford an odd off day in training. But all the best players train very well and are focused on their performance.”

Quotes from Pardew in today's Northern Echo, which speculates that we'll be back to Nolan playing off Carroll against City.

I was fairly sure Ranger would start on Sunday as well, but this would suggest otherwise. Not the first time we've heard of this sort of attitude/application from the lad either, is it?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/8757432.United_boss_believes_Ranger_not_quite_ready_to_lead_United_line/

(Same article is in the Journal as well, more or less: http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/12/24/nile-ranger-needs-to-change-attitude-61634-27879854/)

I had heard about Nile prior to coming here and knew he was a talent, said Pardew. But I still think he has a lot to do to be a regular starter here.

At the moment, hes probably still at the stage of being an impact player to a degree.

When I see a bit more of him in training, and see him on time and being disciplined, thats when Ill feel willing to put him in the first team.

He has potential, but he needs to get certain other things right to be a consistent performer. You need a real quality to your work in training.

If youre a senior player, maybe you can afford an odd off day in training. But all the best players train very well and are focused on their performance.

Quotes from Pardew in today's Northern Echo, which speculates that we'll be back to Nolan playing off Carroll against City.

I was fairly sure Ranger would start on Sunday as well, but this would suggest otherwise. Not the first time we've heard of this sort of attitude/application from the lad either, is it?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/8757432.United_boss_believes_Ranger_not_quite_ready_to_lead_United_line/

(Same article is in the Journal as well, more or less: http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/12/24/nile-ranger-needs-to-change-attitude-61634-27879854/)

If Pardew picks his team based on what he has seen in training over what he has seen in a game then he's an idiot.  We'll get no points for a player training well, we could get points if a player plays well during a game.

“I had heard about Nile prior to coming here and knew he was a talent,” said Pardew. “But I still think he has a lot to do to be a regular starter here.

“At the moment, he’s probably still at the stage of being an impact player to a degree.

When I see a bit more of him in training, and see him on time and being disciplined, that’s when I’ll feel willing to put him in the first team.

“He has potential, but he needs to get certain other things right to be a consistent performer. You need a real quality to your work in training.

If you’re a senior player, maybe you can afford an odd off day in training. But all the best players train very well and are focused on their performance.”

If Pardew picks his team based on what he has seen in training over what he has seen in a game then he's an idiot.  We'll get no points for a player training well, we could get points if a player plays well during a game.

In fairness, he has only seen it in the late stages of that one game since he's been here. For all the most recent Ranger love, he hasn't contributed a great deal else when he's been involved previously in a similar capacity, and he's become vogue again simply because of Ameobi's (near) annual post-Mackem malaise, more than anything.

The general issue, for me, is that it sends a bad message rewarding such a lax attitude.

If you have a player - especially a young one supposedly making his way in the game with a big future ahead of him - turning up late to training and showing poor application when he gets there, picking him to start just reinforces his bad behaviour. There's no consequences for his actions and so he's given no incentive to learn/change. For all the talk of "this group of lads" and the professional spirit in the camp, I'm not a fan of hearing about this sort of attitude.

Basically, I can see where Pardew is coming from if he doesn't pick him. The return to Nolan off Carroll may not be so bad, considering the way that City play. However, I'd obviously prefer it if Ranger wasn't acting the big-time arsehole and if this wasn't an issue at all so he could get his chance in a 4-4-2 and we could get at them.

In fairness, he has only seen it in the late stages of that one game since he's been here. For all the most recent Ranger love, he hasn't contributed a great deal else when he's been involved previously in a similar capacity, and he's become vogue again simply because of Ameobi's (near) annual post-Mackem malaise, more than anything.

The general issue, for me, is that it sends a bad message rewarding such a lax attitude.

If you have a player - especially a young one supposedly making his way in the game with a big future ahead of him - turning up late to training and showing poor application when he gets there, picking him to start just reinforces his bad behaviour. There's no consequences for his actions and so he's given no incentive to learn/change. For all the talk of "this group of lads" and the professional spirit in the camp, I'm not a fan of hearing about this sort of attitude.

Basically, I can see where Pardew is coming from if he doesn't pick him. The return to Nolan off Carroll may not be so bad, considering the way that City play. However, I'd obviously prefer it if Ranger wasn't acting the big-time arsehole and if this wasn't an issue at all so he could get his chance in a 4-4-2 and we could get at them.

Who's your sources as far as Ranger's behaviour goes? Or are you just making up stuff?

Smith and Tiote in CM then?

I'll stick £100 on a loss if that's what he picks.

Aye, that's the main concern for me if he changes the formation. Either you move Barton inside for Routledge and lose what he's been bringing from a wide position, or you're left with the delightful choice of Guthrie/Smith to go in alongside Tiote.

He may be concerned about Nolan getting overrun by City's central midfielders in a 4-4-2 though, who knows?

Who's your sources as far as Ranger's behaviour goes? Or are you just making up stuff?

What behaviour? Turning up late for training and then not putting a proper shift in?

Direct quotes from Alan Pardew, today, in the Journal/Northern Echo...

Sometimes you've got to do things differently with different players, give them a taste of what they could be doing and then tell them to go out and keep a place in the team.  It's all about motivation and sometimes you need to think that what you do during the week is going to pay off on a weekend.  It's possible that he thinks he'll not start a game no matter what he does.  Bobby was good at treating players differently and getting the best out of them, maybe Pardew needs to adapt.  Ranger has had very little game time this season but when he has replaced somebody, he's always looked better than the player he's replaced.

What behaviour? Turning up late for training and then not putting a proper shift in?

Direct quotes from Alan Pardew, today, in the Journal/Northern Echo...

And the arse-whole thing. But sorry, you're right of course. Read a bit too fast. Hopeless of Ranger really...

Sometimes you've got to do things differently with different players, give them a taste of what they could be doing and then tell them to go out and keep a place in the team.  It's all about motivation and sometimes you need to think that what you do during the week is going to pay off on a weekend.  It's possible that he thinks he'll not start a game no matter what he does.  Bobby was good at treating players differently and getting the best out of them, maybe Pardew needs to adapt.  Ranger has had very little game time this season but when he has replaced somebody, he's always looked better than the player he's replaced.

Definitely agree with this as a general guide in regards to man management, although there's a fine line involved and you also have to consider the effects on the squad (particularly the players overlooked in favour of the lad who sometimes turns up late/doesn't put much effort in). Plenty would argue that Bobby was too lax on certain players and by the end this contributed to his downfall, but it's hard to disagree it worked wonders for long enough prior to that.

However, Ranger himself said he was due to start the game against Birmingham last week, so not sure that part in bold washes. You can only assume this sort of thing has been happening since then, hence Pardew's change in mindset. It's a shame it's been happening now, when otherwise he'd be an absolute shoe-in to start and then hopefully impress/keep his place.

Disappointing from Nile, really, which is about the top-and-bottom of it.

Definitely agree with this as a general guide in regards to man management, although there's a fine line involved and you also have to consider the effects on the squad (particularly the players overlooked in favour of the lad who sometimes turns up late/doesn't put much effort in). Plenty would argue that Bobby was too lax on certain players and by the end this contributed to his downfall, but it's hard to disagree it worked wonders for long enough prior to that.

However, Ranger himself said he was due to start the game against Birmingham last week, so not sure that part in bold washes. You can only assume this sort of thing has been happening since then, hence Pardew's change in mindset. It's a shame it's been happening now, when otherwise he'd be an absolute shoe-in to start and then hopefully impress/keep his place.

Disappointing from Nile, really, which is about the top-and-bottom of it.

The main person who would lose out if Ranger was starting is Ameobi and he's had more than enough chances to make a place in the team his own.  Regarding the bit in bold and Ranger being lined up to start against Birmingham.  He was only getting that start because of an injury to Shola, it wasn't a start because of his performance when he came on against Liverpool or at least it doesn't appear to have been. 

Ranger needs to stick in during training but training isn't as important as how he plays on a Saturday or Sunday.  Some people do things because they want to, some do it because they have to.  It's the old carrot and stick, some people need an arm around them while others need a kick up the arse or both.

Don't really like those comments from Pardew. Almost like he rates him a bit too little.

AND I'd really like for us to continue with 4-4-2.

:sadnod: Same here. I just don't think Nolan off Carroll is our best formation - I think Nolan works better alongside Tiote at CM. Ranger should get the nod as reward for recent performances.

He is expected to be back on the substitutes’ bench on Boxing Day, with Pardew poised to name Andy Carroll as a lone striker against Manchester City, with Kevin Nolan playing in the attacking midfield hole.