Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

I feel very frustrated because I think Ranger is under-used. This isn't just a Pardew thing - Hughton was equally reluctant to play him.

There seems to be this issue about his application in training, but whether he's not being picked as a disciplinary measure or because he's not put in the work to be good or consistent enough, I don't know. My guess is that Pardew feels that if he picks him after he's been messing about, then the situation will only get worse.

I think the lack of application thing also influenced Hughton's reluctance to play him, although of course Hughton didn't comment on it like Pardew. He could have started Ranger in certain games, and plucked for the likes of Lovenkrands instead.

I think the lack of application thing also influenced Hughton's reluctance to play him, although of course Hughton didn't comment on it like Pardew. He could have started Ranger in certain games, and plucked for the likes of Lovenkrands instead.

If Hughton thought that he was a problem then why offer him a 5 year contract?

Because he has the potential to be a decent player, he's got talent for all to see. The maturity and application has to come with time.