Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

When Ranger bulks up he's going to be absolutely massive. Defenders will bounce off him.

Hopefully he can knuckle down and show some progression over the next 12 months, as I'm really excited to see how he develops. As I think he's got masses of potential.

Certainly a huge amount of potential, just hope he's willing to work to get there.

When Ranger bulks up he's going to be absolutely massive. Defenders will bounce off him.

Hopefully he can knuckle down and show some progression over the next 12 months, as I'm really excited to see how he develops. As I think he's got masses of potential.

Ranger reminds me of a young Kluivert and that's the type of player I expect him to turn out like if he keeps on developing.

Realy hoping that with Shola coming back into the frame he isn't shunned again, it's clear Pardew prefers Lovenkrands over the majority of the 90 minutes but with Shola coming back he'll probably be dropped. Just hope Ranger is still prefered as the impact sub ahead of him.

If we're not in a position to loan him out next year we'll have failed the lad. This year in the Premier League will have helped him greatly, because he's been up against the best defenders. You'd think he'd do very, very well in the Championship now after two years in the side with us. Meaning in 18 months time, potentially he'll be brimming with confidence and even more ability. I'm speaking idealistically, obviously, cos i really think it could go either way - but at the moment it all swings on a loan deal imo. He's got every reason to be playing regular football or he's just not gonna develop.

WTF?  It's todays date on the article.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Alan-Pardew-has-warned-Nile-Ranger-to-curb-his-lateness-if-he-wants-to-make-it-as-professional-footballer-article710797.html

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has warned striking starlet Nile Ranger to keep his eye on the clock if he wants to follow in Andy Carroll’s footsteps as the next Toon No 9.

Ranger, 19, was given a fresh chance by Newcastle after spending time in a young offenders’ institution and being sacked by Southampton for stealing.

But the England U-19 star, who signed a five and a half year contract in December, has frustrated Pardew, ­previous boss Chris Hughton and his team-mates with his casual ­attitude off the field.

Pardew said: “I’ve said from day one that he needs to sort himself out as a ­professional footballer.

“He is always on the cusp of being late. We have stopped him being late but he is still frequently on the brink. We have only improved him five per cent. If he changed it to 50 per cent and was on time he would get belief from the other players.

“The other players look at him and say: ‘you are a young boy and you have to learn’. And he does. We have given him big opportunities.

“I think he is going to be a player. He is close. But whether that is with ­Newcastle is down to him. He has talent and we have to try and eke it out of him.”

Guest BooBoo

It's pretty obvious that Ranger is a tit and there's nothing wrong with publically admonishing him in an attempt to improve his professionalism.

It's pretty obvious that Ranger is a tit and there's nothing wrong with publically admonishing him in an attempt to improve his professionalism.

Aye but those quotes are old.

Ranger's injury was the final nail in the coffin. We did build some pressure at the end of the game. And I think Ranger coming on could have made a good impact, enough to maybe salvage a point.

So frustrating that theres clearly a decent player there but i just have a feeling hes going to put it all to waste by living the premiership player lifestyle before hes anywere near one.

Guest Stephen927

What does "on the cusp of being late" mean? Isn't that being on time?

Aye.

If you want him in a bit earlier Pards, make an earlier time! :lol:

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/06/alan-pardew-s-stark-message-for-nile-ranger-79310-28286928/

Alan Pardew's stark message for Nile Ranger

Mar 6 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

Nile Ranger is one of the most promising players in the Newcastle United squad. But he’s also the most under threat, as Chief Sports Writer Mark Douglas reports.

FROM prison to the Premier League, Nile Ranger has come a hell of a long way in the space of four short years.

But this is one fairytale that may yet take a nasty turn if the protagonist doesn’t build on the modest improvements in his attitude of late.

That is the stark message delivered by Alan Pardew as he candidly considers the future of the most enigmatic – but also one of the most promising – of his Newcastle United charges.

No one needs to remind the Toon boss of the incredible talent and physical gifts that Ranger was born with.

Tall, athletic, quick and with an unerring ability to be in and around the danger areas at key moments, it is no wonder that the London-born teenager has already been capped by his country at youth level.

His leap to convert a Jose Enrique cross in injury time last weekend even had a hint of the Alan Shearers about it – until the linesman rightly chalked it off for a clear offside.

But for all this impressive progress, something still nags at Pardew about the way Ranger is developing both on and off the pitch.

Improvements have been noticeable since he adopted something of a zero tolerance rule with the 19-year-old. But is he where the Newcastle manager wants him to be yet?

“Somewhere in between the lines is your answer,” Pardew says.

“We see him day-in and day-out, and I said from day one he needs to sort himself out as a professional footballer.

“He’s always on the cusp of being late – we’ve stopped him from being late but he’s always on the cusp.

“We’ve only improved him five per cent on that factor.

“If we had improved him to 50% and he was here early and preparing himself – and the other players see him preparing himself – and when he trains he’s here on time to warm up and he’s doing the right things, then the other players will start to buy into him.

“At the moment the other players are looking at him and thinking ‘You’re a young boy, you need to learn’. And he does. And that is reflected in his game.

“He’s had big opportunities for us, but to be fair they are opportunities he’s created for himself. And that is the point – he has got talent. We’ve got to just try and eke it out of him . . . it’s not going to be overnight, but it’s coming. He’s getting better.”

To be frank – and as Ranger himself will testify – it needed to be.

Tardiness was a persistent problem last term, but there were other little elements of ill-discipline that set alarm bells ringing at St James’ Park.

Eventually it came to a head and, as Ranger himself confirmed to the Sunday Sun at the start of the season, he clung on to his Newcastle career by his fingernails.

This year has been better, but there is clearly still a feeling among senior staff that he has plenty of improving to do and it is notable that Pardew has revisited his “must improve” message several times this season.

Some would excuse his worst excesses as nothing more than youthful high jinx, while others might mitigate his errors by pointing out a troubled background.

But the manager, to his credit, gives short shrift to any attempts to use his tough upbringing in Wood Green as an excuse. “Of course, it is a little bit more difficult these days – as it would be in my day for a manager coming through in the 40s and 50s.

“There are your eras and you expect certain things.

“But I still have young players here who I haven’t got a problem with who are on time, who are professional and have similar backgrounds to Nile.

“So I’m not accepting that (as an excuse) – I’m not accepting it from Nile, I’m not accepting it from any young player.

“There are certain strategic things at a football club that need to be done. You need to practise on your weaknesses, the senior players need to see that. “Then they’ll buy into you, then they’ll ‘have’ you.”

While he is still waiting for his full Premier League debut, Ranger has recently had success making late cameo appearances.

It is easy to see why he causes problems.

His raw pace and unpredictability make him a nightmare – and Pardew reckons managers will be starting to take notice of him.

“The thing that he does is really cause danger in those final few minutes,” he said.

“If I was the opposing manager I would be adding a little PS to the bottom of my report saying ‘That sub has got to be looked after in the last 10-15 minutes if that’s when he appears’.

“If only he had worked back onside against Bolton . . . but that is back to my earlier point – one step inside and he would have had the goal.

“I’m confident that Nile going to be a player.

“Whether he’s a Newcastle regular, it’s all down to him. We’re putting it all in front of him – the only excuse he has got is himself.”

So the final word. Is the penny dropping for the teenager with the world potentially at his feet?

“I think it is,” Pardew says, before pausing. “Slowly. It’s on a piece of string, this penny!

“But Andy Carroll is a perfect example to him of what is there for him.

“It’s up to him now.”

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What is this rumour about Ranger that was doing the rounds at the match on Saturday (as alluded to by today's True Faith editorial)?

No idea, but he was in Forest Hall at 1pm and I didn't think he looked that injured.  :undecided: