Manchester United 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/08/08 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

Well done lads, I know Jonas has had a great half, Martins has got the goal, but Danny Guthrie has been fantasic in possession and in the tackle.

Absolutely. Natural replacement for Butt on the evidence so far.

Guest nufc 4 life

oh and Butt needs to be shot, other than a couple of well timed tackles, he has been woeful imo, summed up by him trying to play a ball witht he outside of his right foot 30 yards from goal which then goes straight to the opposition and they almost score, twat.

Good half, lots of positives.

Guttin about conceding so quickly after we scored.

Jonas and Guthrie have been very impressive.

Spot on.  Think Colo has come into as the game has gone on.  Some positive signs out there.  A point or three would be a massive result for us given the score last year.

Guest musika

Am I the only person who thinks that Newcastle United is playing better in this game than in any game last season? We're moving it around fluently, keeping our own in midfield and Jonas Gutierrez + Coloccini are looking like fantastic additions. Milner is a different player in midfield - He's filled that playmaking role fantastically. Granted, Manchester United don't have their best squad on the pitch, but if we play like this against 70% of the teams in the EPL, we'll have a decent shot at Europe next season.

Guest LucaAltieri

We might only be 45 minutes into the new season but it looks like a few of us  (myself included) might have to take back some of the things we've said about Given.

Jonas is going to be an absolute Toon legend, he's a bit like Ginola but with a much much much better work ethic, the way he skipped Rooney's tackle was great.

Even giving the ref grief made Riley like him :lol: he was right though, how did they get that freekick and we got fk all.

Colo has settled after a shaky start, we look much much better, get a decent DCM in for Butt and a LB we will be sorted.

Guest Toon1981

OK it's now decided, I'm having Jonas 18 on the back of my shirt.

Aye, looks custom made for the prem, and i love to see a player enjoying himself.

Well done lads, I know Jonas has had a great half, Martins has got the goal, but Danny Guthrie has been fantasic in possession and in the tackle.

Agree, Guthrie's been our best player alongside Jonas imo. His set pieces are quality as well, great corner he put in for Martins there. Coloccini looks solid as well, good in the air and strong as anything.

Proud as anything with the performance, went crazy when the goal went in, awesome stuff. We look a tad blunt going forward but that's to be expected against the best defence in the country I guess and we've been excellent in maintaining possession. Really chuffed, just hope it continues.

Gettin, great stuff that tbh. Look a bit ropey at the back at times, but although he's out of touch - you can see Coloccini's potential. Could be a really good signing for us that, hope so anyway. The defense hasn't been great but the goal was just unlucky really - with Taylor being off the pitch, they just easily exploited that.

How about that though, Jesus - 1-0 up. I was dancing round the room at that, fantastic.

Jonas is fucking mint. Great tackler, great runner, so strong, good crosser - if he can shoot then he's just about complete. Nicky Butt's been fucking wank on the ball, as per usual, but Guthrie's been pretty good - looks a lot like a Scott Parker tbh, just an upgrade. Duff is roaming around so much that he's not receiving enough passes; you could see towards the end of the half that we had no one to pass to bringing it from deep, Oba needs to make himself a bit more available too.

Overall, great stuff. Game on. Christ! :lol:

Bloody good teamwork from the lads, half time report;

Given- 8 Kept us in it early on

Beye- 7 Fairly solid against Evra

Coloccini- 7 Worked his way into the game

Taylor -7 Not done anything wrong

Zoggy- 6 Not been in game much

Milner- 6 Worked hard

Butt-7 Same as above

Guthrie- 8 Dictating the play for us, bargain on this 45

Jonas-8 Working his socks off defensively, skinned Rooney

Duff- 6 Looks better on the ball, spritely

Martins- 7 Always sniffing, took his chance

So far very impressed. Shutting the media up.

Duff's been crap. He doesn't seem to feel the need to turn towards their goal at all. Every fucking flick is back towards our goal, even when he had a bunch of space in front of him (albeit a space that he just doesn't want to acknowledge).

Guthrie's been good. He's quite quicker than I thought, and he's been very composed on the ball. He's dictating the tempo very well (slowing it down well on one occasion) and I like that he's harrying their players and putting himself about.

Jonas. :D Already love the dude.

Wish Milner would push up more or at least try something more positive with his passes because passing it back to Beye/Taylor is useless. We're not even keeping possession any longer because the defenders pump it back up anyway.

Overall, a pretty good half, innit? We can win this. Howay the lads!

Butt has been very ordinary

Jonas is god!

Martins is all alone...

Taylor has exquisite timing, otherwise we'd still be leading.

Defence is doing well TBF

Coloccini has looked shaky and has looked great...

Guthrie is keeping the tempo and recovering balls well.

man yoo are the champions of europe and although it galls me... they look very accomplished.

fucking hell Guitierez is good!

Best Toon player on the park this half. He's been everywhere. That run in the opening 15 or so minutes when he got beyond Vidic was great, as was the run when he left Rooney for dead :lol:

Shame we're not winning, but a draw would be a cracking result.