Manchester United 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/08/08 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

Guest sittingontheball

Great start! We played as a team and were pretty much their match after the initial 20min barrage. Jonas my MOM.

Manure minus Ronaldo didn't look up to much really. For all the bravado, I reckon they were bricking it that he'd go to Madrid. Chelsea minus Essien and Drogba looked great earlier on.

Guest mobiius

lost  for words can't wait for the biased headlines tomorrow. now going head to scotland for 2 weeks offshore as happy as fuck. not with the draw but the performance an the absolute quality of our signings. Gutherie a liverpool reject if thats the quality of their rejects keep them coming thats all i can say. jonas & colo let their football do the talking. How the fuck we are going to top these signings beats me. long may it last.    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fucking brilliant!

Guthrie was immense, IMO, such a neat passer and great technique. Jonas, as has been mentioned, was also terrific, he looks like pure quality. Colo looked a bit shaky at the start, but got better as the match went on, once he settles and learns a bit of English, he'll probably be a top defender for us.

Butt was terrible, IMO, he caused at least two very dangerous opportunities for them, very lucky to get away with not losing the game for us. Zoggy needs to not be played LB too, especially not against ManU away, I can see the thinking in playing him at LB against lesser teams though.

Given was superb too, kept us in the game a few times.

Colo was immense in what was his first game ever, at old trafford against arguably the best team in the world. Jonas was amazing, guthrie was rock solid, given mint, oba excellent.......I'm utterly impressed and proud of the lads and KK today.

We played out of our skin and could have won it with a little luck!

10/10 - can't wait for the season to continue! with the promise of 2-4 more players this could be a damn fine season!

well done nufc :D

Not many will agree with me, but Butt wasn't as bad as most of you are making out he was.

He wasn't fantastic (certainly not worthy of MOTM), but he did a lot of good things (won the ball on a number of occasions, great tackles etc).

However, Jonas or Shay should've got it.

Not many will agree with me, but Butt wasn't as bad as most of you are making out he was.

He wasn't fantastic (certainly not worthy of MOTM), but he did a lot of good things (won the ball on a number of occasions, great tackles etc).

However, Jonas or Shay should've got it.

I agree he wasn't awful, but he looked quite rusty and made some amateur mistakes.

Guest saintscoobz

im at work with a bunch of manc tw@ts.  They're a bit quiet at the minute.

Great start, keep it up lads.

Guest Guinness

Fucking get in! Great result for us. Jonas was top class today, got back just as well as he got forward definitely my MOTM. Guthrie had a great game too, very composed on the ball. Shay, what can I say, back to his shot stopping best today and a brilliant goal from Martins. I'm really pleased by performance and result, hopefully we can carry this on into next week.

What's our best front 6, as of this moment?

Milner  Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Martins  Owen

Duff was very quiet today, yet we still had a decent game and kept possession well. Imagine if we have Owen to support Martins, we should be able to keep the ball for longer and also have another goal scorer in the team. I would expect that Barton will replace Butt because he offers more on attack. Not sure about Milner, I'd really rather have Zoggy in the team but Jonas looks like he's well suited to that left-wing position, so who knows?

Great team performance. I'm excited about this season :)

Given 8 - looked confident again. Some excellent saves.

Beye 6 - Did a solid job.

Taylor 7 - Likewise.

Coloccini 7 - Grew as the game went on.

N'Zogbia 3 - A disaster. Did nothing in attack or defence.

Milner 6 - Worked hard

Guthrie 7 - Looked positive. Very promising.

Butt 5 - Worked hard, but very negative in possession.

Gutierrez 9 - What a find. I don't think I've ever given anyone a 9 before.

Duff 5 - Needed to get forward more when opportunities presented. Seemed a bit in no man's land.

Martins 7 - Played sensibly for once and carried a real goal threat.