Manchester United 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/08/08 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

I have to say haven't enjoyed a Newcastle game like that in a long time. Jonas he is immense, as was the team as whole except for Butt and Zoggs can't wait for a few more signings to come in and if we play like that top six easily.

Not many will agree with me, but Butt wasn't as bad as most of you are making out he was.

He wasn't fantastic (certainly not worthy of MOTM), but he did a lot of good things (won the ball on a number of occasions, great tackles etc).

However, Jonas or Shay should've got it.

Nicky Butt could have given them 3 or 4 goals from his sloppy play, he's the weakest link in the team we put out today.  He's the first player I would be looking to replace from the starting 11.

Butt was fucking atrocious. :lol:  Thought he'd lost it at the end for us there.

Super performance, absolutely fucking chuffed. That's as good as any home win tbh. And it's not like Manu deserved any more than a draw, we had them in our back pocket from the 25th minute and onwards. Taylor and Coloccini - pretty much unbreakable in the end there, Colo took a while to get to grips but that was to be expected. Excellent in the air. N'Zogbia is not a left-back ffs and Beye was good, if a bit rusty.

From an attacking point of view, the strikers seemed to disappear by the end really but Martins is just a constant thorn in the opposition's side, simply cos of his pace. Duff lost his way a bit i thought but he's infinitely better than what he has been.

Guthrie - excellent ball retainer. Milner - poor, he's one behind just about everybody else on the quality ladder. Butt - bloody garbage, but for a few timely tackles (what people don't realise is that it's from his errors that he is forced into making recoveries).

But... Jonas. Oh my God. Strong. Fast. Dangerous. Good dribbler. Good tackler. Good ball retainer. Horrendous diver. :lol:  Nah, seriously - stole the show. Absolutely stunning performance.

Given - 7

Beye - 7

Colo - 7.9

Tayls - 8

Zog - 5

Milner - 5

Butt - 4

Guthrie - 8

Jonas - 9

Duff - 6

Martins - 7

God bless Kevin Keegan.

What's our best front 6, as of this moment?

Milner  Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Martins  Owen

Duff was very quiet today, yet we still had a decent game and kept possession well. Imagine if we have Owen to support Martins, we should be able to keep the ball for longer and also have another goal scorer in the team. I would expect that Barton will replace Butt because he offers more on attack. Not sure about Milner, I'd really rather have Zoggy in the team but Jonas looks like he's well suited to that left-wing position, so who knows?

Great team performance. I'm excited about this season :)

I thought the front six did well as a unit today. I just wish we had a better DM. That'd make a difference.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Proud of all the lads fought right to the end!

Ok we need better quality but the guts from the new boys shone through!

I like this new policy for only signing players who play for the club! May it continue

Howay the lads

Fantastic TEAM performance!!

Given 9 - World Class

Beye 7 - Solid

Taylor 8 - Very good game. Unlucky he was off injured for their goal.

Coloccini 7 - Shaky to start with but got better and better. Looks classy defender.

Zoggy 5 - A bad day at the office overall, made some goodish runs, but giving the ball away and freekicks too often.

Milner 8 - Covered every blade of grass, always makes himself available, holds the ball up well very very industrious going foward and tracking back.

Butt 7 -Brilliant at times, fantastic tackles, good passing, gave a very good performance, still at least two very dangerous mistakes that nearly cost us.

Guthrie 7 - Good game.

Jonas 9 - What a player!!! Brilliant going forward, brilliant tracking back, haven't seen him shoot, but on his debut away at man u a fantastic looking player.

Duff 6 - not bad, not really that good either though.

Martins 7 - Fantatic goal has springs in his boots, gets up high. Missed an easier header.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

just got back from the game, we looked very strong for first time in a long while. Watching jonas' movement is an honour, the boy is going to be pure class from us. Was sat right on line with it, definite penalty IMO.

Butt also made some great tackles. Wasn't that bad two bad passes if i recall. Guthrie was good, Jonas was immence and Colo won just about every header he went for and tackle - he seemed to sometimes attack the ball as it came to the attacker and other times stood off always assured apart from the openning 5-10 mins.

Happy overall, Jonas is good and Zoggy ain't a left back tho!

Ratings;

Given- 7 Did everything he had to and justified his selection.

Beye- 7 Looked after Giggs and Evra

Taylor- 8 Won everything, can't be faulted.

Coloccini- 7 Neat and tidy, good debut.

N'Zogbia- 6 Never really influenced the game, decent at the back

Milner- 7 Worked his socks off for the team, rarely lost possestion

Butt-5 Not sure how he got MOM tbh.

Guthrie- 7 Never lost the ball, very excited by this lad.

Jonas- 9 Don't need to say a thing.

Duff- 6 Not great but can't fault effort and again rarely lost the ball for us.

Martins- 7 Fed on scraps but got his goal.

Guest lankybellwipe

Poorest player today was N'Zogbia. The man is not a left back and never will be.

That was unexpected and quite a brilliant result!

Guest newcastle4life

;D Great result really happy with the performance. Jonas was excellent plays like that he consistently he will be a fan favourite.