Manchester United 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/08/08 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

Excellent start! Was almost demanding that we nicked the result by the end.

Add in Owen, Viduka and a few more faces and we can do well this year.

Butt is always a liability when playing United, he is the new Gary Speed though.

Given  9  - To think some people (myself) wouldnt have shed huge tears had we sold him for alot of money this summer. Right back to his best and hopefully over his injury problems.

Beye 6 -  Did well, will get back to his best with fitness, looking forward to him solidifying our backline

Taylor 8 - happy to give him an 8, did really well, unfortunate he was off the pitch for the equaliser, wasnt too rash for a change and dominated the back.

Colocinni 8 (7 game) - For different reasons for Taylor who had the better overall game, Colo matured into the game and did very well for his debut, nervy and rash to start but was increasingly solid. Very happy and optimistic he will become a great signing for us.

N'Zogbia  6 -  Not a left back and should have done better for the equaliser, however did his best and looked it going forward, thought he also looked a bit lightweight taking players on.

Milner 7 - hard working, did well, good tracking back.

Butt 6 -  Overally solid but some stupid mistakes that shouldnt be happening (which always do against manure)

Guthrie 8 - Wow, solid in posession, nice passing on the whole did well against a very strong and experienced central midfield in Carrick and Scholes. Looking forward to seeing this lad develop.

Duff 7 -  Worked really hard and is almost passing the dropping hints stage to getting back to his best. Will be interesting to see if he can hold his place with Owen and Viduka returning and another potential midfielder and Striker coming through the doors.

Gutierrez 8.5 - What a guy! A strong, powerfull pacier version of Milner, everywhere on the pitch and what a cracking temperament great to see! looks to be one hell of a buy, lets hope he just gets better. Delighted to see he stuck two fingers up at all the press that said he wouldnt perform away from home!

Martins 7.5 - should have had two, played very well working hard throughout, sometimes still a little sloppy in posession but is coming through a hard time and confidence will breed from this goal and hopefully getting more from here.

Keegan - 8  Went all out for it, lets be honest he wasnt going to go conservative. N'Zogbia was always a risk at LB but we had to go all in. Bloody Colocinni had to happen some time and showing he has the faith in him to play today will stick with the player. Lots of work to do behind the scenes to bring some more faces in but good times dont seem like such a dream.

the couple of reports I've seen so far have mentioned Man U being roobed by the "Milner Handball".....

Well what about the fucking Jonas hack down when through on goal ?!?!???!?!

Mr Burns fucked up big style by not giving that. It was a blatant penno. Fucking Man U biased media scum.

When I thought Campbell had injured Coloccini I nearly cried... looked like another long term injury for a second (toon paranoia stirkes).

Then I remembered he was Argentine and probably play acting, phew.

Heart went for a second then. Thank fuck he got up!

The Sky commentary was shocking by the way. Every chance they could they used to have a dig at us (constantly going on about how many goals we shipped last year and in previous seasons against them - you made your point at the start of the game, why repeat it?), to praise Man Utd (and Rooney in particular) and to make something out of the supposed problems behind the scenes at NUFC.

Guest Howaythetoon

Very scrappy match with some less than impressive performances from both sides but a great result. I actually thought had we been more direct at times rather than trying to play intricate patterns too often like we did they were there for the taking, however a point represents a good start to the season.

The most pleasing aspect for me were our fitness levels, level of organisation and discipline, tactics, communication, work rate and above all else the team spirit. We seem to have hit the season up and running in all those departments.

To the players:

Shay - 7 - Some fantastic saves, looks sharp. Poor kicking at times lets him down. Overall very good performance.

Beye - 6 - Seemed sluggish at times and not his usual self on the ball. Defended well when needed to though, although he backed off quite a bit I thought.

Taylor - 7 - Solid. Didn't put a foot wrong. Sloppy on the ball at times but in terms of defending did his job well.

Collocini - 6 - Grew as the game wore on but shaky at times. Surprisingly good in the air. Great to see him in a Toon shirt finally, welcome lad, here's hoping he has a great future here.

N'Zogbia - 4 - Didn't defend particularly well and failed to support Jonas enough, but to his credit he worked extremely hard and if this is the start of his career here under KK, it can only get better.

Milner - 6 - Worked extremely hard as ever, linked up well at times and made some important interceptions, but attacking wise he was way short on quality and from that area of the pitch we need quality. Depending on whether we can bring in someone else in time, I'd accept Villa's apparent offer for him.

Butt - 5 - The weakest link in the side for me. Gave us nothing on the ball and was a liability defensively with rash challenges and poor distribution. Worked hard of course but we need more from that area of the pitch, defensively and attacking wise.

Guthrie - 7 - A very good performance from the lad. Neat on the ball, hard working, showed great feet once or twice and some intelligent play from the lad. Could have done better to support the attack at times but given the opposition and this being his debut I'll not hold that against him. One concern is although he has good energy levels, I don't think he's the quickest nor the most athletic and this needs balanced because we need drive and tempo in midfield, centrally.

Jonas - 8 - Outstanding. As good a debut I've seen in a long time. Amazing energy levels, some great tackling and positioning and a real threat going forward. Very direct, quick and skillful - looks a gem of a find. I can see him having lots of joy at SJP with more freedom and the support of fans willing him on.

Duff - 6 - He struggled to get into the game enough for me, despite some space and time in which to make a bigger impact. He did link up well though and worked hard, especially defensively. Not a nothing performance which we are used to from Duff, needs to do more in the opposition half though. Looks very fit I have to say, none stop running.

Martins - 7 - It was hard for him up there on his own but he looked a threat throughout and used the ball intelligently. Up against Ferdinand it was always going to be tough for him but he did his job well enough which for me was to drag him away from Vidic which he did, only we had nothing from midfield breaking through or we failed to get up close with him well enough. Great leap for the goal and getting off the mark should set him up nicely for the season.

KK - 8 - He went to Old Trafford with a game plan and it worked, I thought his tactics were spot on in the main and I think he was right to keep the same side on the pitch for the entire 90 minutes. Only KK could send such a seemingly unbalanced side with key players missing with our history there to play with confidence, attacking intent and such levels of fitness. Not that I'm surprised, I predicted a  good result and had Owen and Viduka been playing I think we'd have stood a good chance of winning. Mind, had they had a full strength side... overall spot on from the boss. Great to start a season with this man in charge as he fills me with confidence, never mind the players.

When I thought Campbell had injured Coloccini I nearly cried... looked like another long term injury for a second (toon paranoia stirkes).

Then I remembered he was Argentine and probably play acting, phew.

Heart went for a second then. Thank fuck he got up!

Was a bit scared too. Looked like a nasty twist to his knee

The Sky commentary was shocking by the way. Every chance they could they used to have a dig at us (constantly going on about how many goals we shipped last year and in previous seasons against them - you made your point at the start of the game, why repeat it?), to praise Man Utd (and Rooney in particular) and to make something out of the supposed problems behind the scenes at NUFC.

Couldnt agree more. Fucking scumbags at Sky.

"It's been a dark summer for Newcastle"

Errrrm. How do you justify that ? Apart from Barton it's been a fairly uneventful summer.

Fucking Murdoch and his arse licking clowns rimming the living daylights out of Man U as usual......

We did very well today and a draw is an amazing result. Three good debuts aswell which makes me positive about the future. Anyway my bit:

Given (9)- Glad he proved me wrong, i thought he was finished on his performances from last season but his reflex saves and his determination saved us early on. He has also developed his saves for crosses, was very commanding today. Only negative was his kicking late on.

Beye (6) - Didn't look too good and they got a hell of a lot of crosses and corneers from him, he was complaining a lot by the looks aswell, suppose lack of pre-season could be something...

Taylor (8) - Didn't do anyhting wrong and was very aggresive throughout, good partnership with colo for this game, complemented each other well. Pity he limped off and then they scored!!

Coloccini (7) - Shaky start with some dodgy clearances, but improved immensly in the second half and looked very composed. Seems to have a knack of being in the right place... Great start considering where he was and his lack of pre-season with us!

Zoggy (6) - He's not a left back , but he did well for most of the game and got forward to support Jonas which is what keegan will have wanted. Would like a decent left back before window closes. Enrique??

Jonas (9) - Change of pace, moves both inside and out, a winger who can actually take on the defender. This is what we have been missing since  Ginola & Robert, except much better 'cos this bloke can also defend and isn't workshy...Go on yasell!!!

Guthrie (7) - Didn't get an eight cos he didn't get forward enough for me, good tackle and good control of the game . Great signing?? We'll see.

Butt (6) - was ok and did what he had to do, try and protect the back four... His negative passing is something that needs to be rectified if we want a cutting edge in midfield. Replace with somebody younger with more fight in them???

Milner (6) - worked his socks off but for me lacks that bit of "class" needed to get past a player and create openings. When owen/viduka come back I would have duff on the wing instead of him.

Duff (7) - was involved in a lot of our attacking play but was playing too deep to be of any help to oba butthast could have been keegans gameplan to play 5 midfielders.

Oba (8) - Great header and could have had a second but wasn't expecting it TBF. Very alone up front against the best central defenders in the league, desperately needs owen or vids.

Keegan (8) - What a change! Going to Man utd and coming away with a point, going there and battling for 90 minutes, taking the game to them when we had the ball...Keegan is our King!

Only negative was that we arrived quite a few times out wide and there was nobody waiting in the box, play went backwards and we consequently lost the ball. need another forward and a midfielder to arrive in the box...

Guest thenorthumbrian

We looked fitter and tactically better organised today under Keegan than we ever did under Allardyce and those were meant to be his strong points. 

I wouldn't mind a couple more Argentinians if thats what you get for your money.

I was impressed with our football today too, we didn't just sit back and try absorb the pressure for 90mins. We defended when we had to of course, but some of the passing was very promising as well.

Martins, Beye, Milner and Taylor were decent but of all our players Gutierrez was the most impressive.

Strong, energetic, fast, tricky, vocal, got stuck in, tracked back. Offensively - and most notably, defensively - superb today. He looked like he'd played in the league for years.

Delighted with him and certainly satisfied with Guthrie and Coloccini too. The latter looked a bit rusty at times but thats to be expected in his debut game in a new league when he can't speak any English and has only officially been our player since Friday.

Fantastic result today ,must admit thought of a twanking but we can hold our heads up high and say hey we could have won that .This will give us such a lift and make us fear nobody ,Jonas was outstanding on his premier debut and was  constant thorn in there sides .I think everyone worked workerd hard for each other and the future looks bright if we can get a play maker in   O0