Manchester United 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/08/08 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

Fantastic result and a performance that fully deserved a point. Rode our luck a little first half but second half I thought we were at least equal to them and arguably better.

Without wanting to kneejerk, the three signings look excellent so far and with a little bit more quality in certain positions, there's no reason we can't push on and up this season.

Hope MA takes today's result and performance as a sign to back KK with the players we need and not a reason to say we don't really need to strengthen. I fancy KK will use this performance as a means to try to push deals through & if he can get MA's ear for half an hour or so he'll give MA a right good rallying speach. We have to make the positives out of this game work for us.

We lost the goal as Zog isn't a defender, a left back may have thrown himself at the ball & I'm pretty sure Taylor would've got there first or would have blocked it.

We need a left back, a creative midfield palyer & a target man; get the right players in and we will enjoy a much better season than last. Our workrate, self belief & commitment were all first class today. 8 out of 10.

Guest cfhpantera27

Great start, cant remember the last time we played that well at old trafford, watched the match at a mates house (a man utd fan) and even he couldnt believe how good Jonas looked.. great performance apart from a few sloppy mistakes from Butt,

just seen Keegan interview and he thinks another 2-3 players of the same quality of Colo and Jonas are comin!  :clap2:

Coloccini looked assured alongside Taylor who also put in a decent shift, and Guthrie looked very good at holding posession. Jonas was outstanding and I would urge Duff to try and follow his example. Whenever Jonas got the ball he went fot the Man U jugular, Duff after a good pre-season looked too scared to go at Man U with any real intent. I don't want to dwell on negatives though, as a team we generally did ok. We kept our shape and our heads for 90 mins and it's not often we can say that at Old Trafford.

Well done lads.

Guest thenorthumbrian

It gets on my wick when the comentators say things like "United are pressing Newcastle" when did we change our name to Newcastle City ?

Hope MA takes today's result and performance as a sign to back KK with the players we need and not a reason to say we don't really need to strengthen. I fancy KK will use this performance as a means to try to push deals through & if he can get MA's ear for half an hour or so he'll give MA a right good rallying speach. We have to make the positives out of this game work for us.

We lost the goal as Zog isn't a defender, a left back may have thrown himself at the ball & I'm pretty sure Taylor would've got there first or would have blocked it.

We need a left back, a creative midfield palyer & a target man; get the right players in and we will enjoy a much better season than last. Our workrate, self belief & commitment were all first class today. 8 out of 10.

Him and Keegan have already said there is cash for players if the players are good enough.

Given - 8 - Saved a few well, very lucky rooney aimed his header at his face. 

Beye - 7 - Classy as usual.

Taylor - 6 - More composed than usual, played Beye into a tight spot a few times. 

Coloccini - 7 - Good debut, looks smart but not too fast.  Hope that's a fitness issue or an optical illusion brought on by the speedy gits he was up against. 

N'Zogbia - 5 - Good going forward, NOT A LEFT BACK. BUY A LEFT BACK. 

Milner - 6 - Stood up the ball too many times, slowing down our attack and letting himself get doubleteamed.  Tracked back well though.  Not half as slow as people think and nutmegging John O'Shea will be on his highlight reel come end season. 

Butt - 6 - Sound game, might have been higher except for that heart attack inducing foul conceded at the end.

Guthrie - 6 - Sorry, I know a lot of people liked his performance but he was largely anonymous for me.  Maybe that's the whole point of his role, I don't know. 

Gutierrez - 8 (MotM) - A terror down the left wing.  Fast as fuck, tracked back, good vision, more please.

Duff - 7 - popped up everywhere, made runs, distributed well. 

Martins - 8 - Maybe should have had two but he was dangerous all day. 

In the word of a Dutch man, unbelievable.

Arguments over the penalty aside, come on, any of you would have taken a draw there. We didn't look like amateurs, that's what I take from it.

What argument it was outside the box the replay clearly shows that