So, who's signing in the final week?

Coxaux
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So Dave, NE5...

...who do you think were signing in the final week?

(I apologise for the on-topic question unreservedly)

A replacement for Alan Smith hopefully. He's fucking gash.

Guest Howaythetoon

Even if we don't sign any more new players, I wouldn't dismiss this transfer window as a tragedy because to bring in 4 seemingly competent quality (degrees vary) players that fit the criteria whatever that may be (open to interpretation and conjecture that one) in today's climate of greedy agents, hard ball chairmen, circus media, demanding fans, money constraints and fierce competition on the back of a month long international tournament, implementing a whole new set-up and trying to overcome the no Europe and piss poor past few seasons thing is pretty good going if you ask me. I mean, look around, no club has achieved everything they set out too before the window opened, a good number have had to make many compromises while some will panic buy which I'm hoping we won't because when you compromise in these situations and panic buy, you're basically conceding defeat. We have injuries and a thin squad yeah, but f*** me what do we have an academy for, do what other clubs don't seem to have any problems doing (Boro for example), bring in a few youngsters, you never know even, we could hit the jackpot with one or more of them. I'm sick and tired of the instant want it all yesterday mentality in our football. People need to wake up to reality FFS.

Even if we don't sign any more new players, I wouldn't dismiss this transfer window as a tragedy because to bring in 4 seemingly competent quality (degrees vary) players that fit the criteria whatever that may be (open to interpretation and conjecture that one) in today's climate of greedy agents, hard ball chairmen, circus media, demanding fans, money constraints and fierce competition on the back of a month long international tournament, implementing a whole new set-up and trying to overcome the no Europe and piss poor past few seasons thing is pretty good going if you ask me. I mean, look around, no club has achieved everything they set out too before the window opened, a good number have had to make many compromises while some will panic buy which I'm hoping we won't because when you compromise in these situations, you're basically conceding defeat. We have injuries and a thin squad yeah, but fuck me what do we have an academy for, do what other clubs don't seem to have any problems doing, bring in a few youngsters, you never know even, we could hit the jackpot with one or more of them. I'm sick and tired of the instant want it all yesterday mentality in our football. People need to wake up to reality FFS.

Good post, particularly the last two lines. I don't know why some of our 'fans' (who just seem to want to criticise every single aspect of the club, bizarrely) don't just fuck off and support Chelsea. Much easier for us all.

Guest Stephen927

I'm happy. All the signings have performed well so far.

There will be 1 or 2 signings before the end of the window. The one thing I like is I feel like we won't go out and just splash the cash on anybody just to have another body through the door. Refreshing change.

Even if we don't sign any more new players, I wouldn't dismiss this transfer window as a tragedy because to bring in 4 seemingly competent quality (degrees vary) players that fit the criteria whatever that may be (open to interpretation and conjecture that one) in today's climate of greedy agents, hard ball chairmen, circus media, demanding fans, money constraints and fierce competition on the back of a month long international tournament, implementing a whole new set-up and trying to overcome the no Europe and piss poor past few seasons thing is pretty good going if you ask me. I mean, look around, no club has achieved everything they set out too before the window opened, a good number have had to make many compromises while some will panic buy which I'm hoping we won't because when you compromise in these situations, you're basically conceding defeat. We have injuries and a thin squad yeah, but fuck me what do we have an academy for, do what other clubs don't seem to have any problems doing, bring in a few youngsters, you never know even, we could hit the jackpot with one or more of them. I'm sick and tired of the instant want it all yesterday mentality in our football. People need to wake up to reality FFS.

Good post, particularly the last two lines. I don't know why some of our 'fans' (who just seem to want to criticise every single aspect of the club, bizarrely) don't just fuck off and support Chelsea. Much easier for us all.

:thup:

irony again. Why didnt' you say this when our "fans" did nowt but criticise the old board from morning until night, and support Chelsea  instead ?

As I have clearly indicated that Alan Smith has been hugely disappointing and I expected and hoped for much better, it isn't asking too much for you to admit what yourself/the locals thought of the player at the time the judgement was made as to the basis that we brought him to the club.

The reality Dave, is that we are the 3rd biggest fanbase in the country. We won't go into who made it etc, its all been said before. Now read that sentence, understand it, and then please explain why, on that basis, we shouldn't demand the very biggest ambition pretty much all of the time ?

2nd best may be good enough for some, but dabbling around in the bargain basement dept for transfers, imposing lower spendign limits than we should, and wasting a manager who could deliver real success - like he almost managed the first time - isn't good enough for me.

I'm going to leave this thread now, its a pity that such a simple thing has led to this. All you had to do was admit that he had been a good player when he was younger and accept that is why the club bought him.

The club bought him because the manager wanted a 'grafter' who could play several positions.

I very much doubt he was bought because he played alright at Leeds. Either way, can't argue that Allardyce wasn't backed.

irony again. Why didnt' you say this when our "fans" did nowt but criticise the old board from morning until night, and support Chelsea  instead ?

As I have clearly indicated that Alan Smith has been hugely disappointing and I expected and hoped for much better, it isn't asking too much for you to admit what yourself/the locals thought of the player at the time the judgement was made as to the basis that we brought him to the club.

The reality Dave, is that we are the 3rd biggest fanbase in the country. We won't go into who made it etc, its all been said before. Now read that sentence, understand it, and then please explain why, on that basis, we shouldn't demand the very biggest ambition pretty much all of the time ?

2nd best may be good enough for some, but dabbling around in the bargain basement dept for transfers, imposing lower spendign limits than we should, and wasting a manager who could deliver real success - like he almost managed the first time - isn't good enough for me.

I'm going to leave this thread now, its a pity that such a simple thing has led to this. All you had to do was admit that he had been a good player when he was younger and accept that is why the club bought him.

Alam Smith scored less than 1 in 4 for Leeds, do you mean before that?

Guest Howaythetoon

Even if we don't sign any more new players, I wouldn't dismiss this transfer window as a tragedy because to bring in 4 seemingly competent quality (degrees vary) players that fit the criteria whatever that may be (open to interpretation and conjecture that one) in today's climate of greedy agents, hard ball chairmen, circus media, demanding fans, money constraints and fierce competition on the back of a month long international tournament, implementing a whole new set-up and trying to overcome the no Europe and piss poor past few seasons thing is pretty good going if you ask me. I mean, look around, no club has achieved everything they set out too before the window opened, a good number have had to make many compromises while some will panic buy which I'm hoping we won't because when you compromise in these situations, you're basically conceding defeat. We have injuries and a thin squad yeah, but f*** me what do we have an academy for, do what other clubs don't seem to have any problems doing, bring in a few youngsters, you never know even, we could hit the jackpot with one or more of them. I'm sick and tired of the instant want it all yesterday mentality in our football. People need to wake up to reality FFS.

Good post, particularly the last two lines. I don't know why some of our 'fans' (who just seem to want to criticise every single aspect of the club, bizarrely) don't just f*** off and support Chelsea. Much easier for us all.

Ironically enough I look at Chelsea and think yeah they've signed Deco, probably Robinho and a full-back but I'm thinking what happens if Drogba gets an injury and misses a month or two, it could be critical to them in the same way an injury to Martins could be critical to us, just with the goalposts moved. Martins missing September for example could be the difference between finishing 6th or 10th, Drogba absent for a month at Chelsea could mean finishing 2nd as opposed to 1st. I guess what I'm trying to say is that no club will not be hit by injuries, no manager will wish they had a smaller squad and no manager will at times during the season not wish they'd spent more/signed more players. Its the same on the stands as well. While we worry about Martins' injury, Owen's contract, tensions behind the scenes etc. at every single club rivals fans have their own concerns and issues regarding their managers, their players, their owners etc.

We have so many positives going for us, believe it or not we have done better than most in the transfer window and indeed out on the pitch with 4 points and progress into the 3rd round of the league cup thus far, and if progress is the staple diet of all fans, then what does KK vs Allardyce say? Collocini vs Boumsong? Jonas vs Sibierski (not perfect comparisons I know) and the big one, a debt-less seemingly up and running new NUFC with scouting set-up and off pitch infrastructure included vs the old *shambles of a mess we had become after Sir Bobby's time?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more players signed, more money splashed, these persistent if not all bull s*** rumours of tension disappear off the face of the earth and I'd even love to see the role of Dennis Wise (and the man himself) become obsolete (I'm a traditionalist and he's a c***) but by the same token I'd love us to be back in 95 with Sir Les leading the line, Ginola dazzling on the wing, Albert marauding forward from the back and the Toon top of the league.

That's not the way things are though and we (I have) have to accept that and rather than look at everything negatively lets just, for once, stand back and show some faith (it doesn't have to be unconditional or altruistic) in the people charged with making this club of ours a success on and off the pitch, something WE actually WILL play a huge part in.

*I'm not going to get into any arguments with anyone over that statement, it has been done to death, I'm not blaming any one individual for the shambles we had become either and I'm also not saying that we are now ten times better because we aren't, I'm just wishing to rid myself more than anything of that whole era to welcome in a new one with not only the benefit of doubt but also some positivity. I just watched one of the best matches we've featured in in years the other day and KK who I f***ing love was in the dugout. Me = happy.  :thup:

I absolutely LOVE how me asking you one single, simple question about Alan Smith that could have been answered in four words has led to me being in the wrong, and you bringing up the old board AGAIN. mackems.gif

But you're right (want that in writing?), let's leave this shitty argument here.

Even if we don't sign any more new players, I wouldn't dismiss this transfer window as a tragedy because to bring in 4 seemingly competent quality (degrees vary) players that fit the criteria whatever that may be (open to interpretation and conjecture that one) in today's climate of greedy agents, hard ball chairmen, circus media, demanding fans, money constraints and fierce competition on the back of a month long international tournament, implementing a whole new set-up and trying to overcome the no Europe and piss poor past few seasons thing is pretty good going if you ask me. I mean, look around, no club has achieved everything they set out too before the window opened, a good number have had to make many compromises while some will panic buy which I'm hoping we won't because when you compromise in these situations, you're basically conceding defeat. We have injuries and a thin squad yeah, but f*** me what do we have an academy for, do what other clubs don't seem to have any problems doing, bring in a few youngsters, you never know even, we could hit the jackpot with one or more of them. I'm sick and tired of the instant want it all yesterday mentality in our football. People need to wake up to reality FFS.

Good post, particularly the last two lines. I don't know why some of our 'fans' (who just seem to want to criticise every single aspect of the club, bizarrely) don't just f*** off and support Chelsea. Much easier for us all.

Ironically enough I look at Chelsea and think yeah they've signed Deco, probably Robinho and a full-back but I'm thinking what happens if Drogba gets an injury and misses a month or two, it could be critical to them in the same way an injury to Martins could be critical to us, just with the goalposts moved. Martins missing September for example could be the difference between finishing 6th or 10th, Drogba absent for a month at Chelsea could mean finishing 2nd as opposed to 1st. I guess what I'm trying to say is that no club will not be hit by injuries, no manager will wish they had a smaller squad and no manager will at times during the season not wish they'd spent more/signed more players. Its the same on the stands as well. While we worry about Martins' injury, Owen's contract, tensions behind the scenes etc. at every single club rivals fans have their own concerns and issues regarding their managers, their players, their owners etc.

We have so many positives going for us, believe it or not we have done better than most in the transfer window and indeed out on the pitch with 4 points and progress into the 3rd round of the league cup thus far, and if progress is the staple diet of all fans, then what does KK vs Allardyce say? Collocini vs Boumsong? Jonas vs Sibierski (not perfect comparisons I know) and the big one, a debt-less seemingly up and running new NUFC with scouting set-up and off pitch infrastructure included vs the old *shambles of a mess we had become after Sir Bobby's time?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more players signed, more money splashed, these persistent if not all bull s*** rumours of tension disappear off the face of the earth and I'd even love to see the role of Dennis Wise (and the man himself) become obsolete (I'm a traditionalist and he's a c***) but by the same token I'd love us to be back in 95 with Sir Les leading the line, Ginola dazzling on the wing, Albert marauding forward from the back and the Toon top of the league.

That's not the way things are though and we (I have) have to accept that and rather than look at everything negatively lets just, for once, stand back and show some faith (it doesn't have to be unconditional or altruistic) in the people charged with making this club of ours a success on and off the pitch, something WE actually WILL play a huge part in.

*I'm not going to get into any arguments with anyone over that statement, it has been done to death, I'm not blaming any one individual for the shambles we had become either and I'm also not saying that we are now ten times better because we aren't, I'm just wishing to rid myself more than anything of that whole era to welcome in a new one with not only the benefit of doubt but also some positivity. I just watched one of the best matches we've featured in in years the other day and KK who I f***ing love was in the dugout. Me = happy.  :thup:

Like you, I'm very happy with our summer's business. Anything extra will be a welcome bonus, but as long as we don't lose a big player, I won't be crying into my pillow on the early hours of Sept 2nd if nothing comes off.

Just as I read the latest board fight, my itunes shuffle has started playing 'Hang on to your ego' by the Beach Boys. The song is a rather apt summary of the endless board wars imo.

I know so many people who think they can do it alone

They isolate their heads and stay in their saftey zones

Now what can you tell them

And what can you say that won't make them defensive

Hang on to your ego

Hang on, but I know that you're gonna lose the fight

They come on like their peaceful

But inside they're so uptight

They trip through the day

And waste all their thoughts at night

Now how can I say it

And how can I come on

When I know I'm guilty

Hang on to your ego

Now how can I say it

And how can I come on

When I know I'm guilty

So hang on to your ego

So Dave, NE5...

...who do you think were signing in the final week?

(I apologise for the on-topic question unreservedly)

A replacement for Alan Smith hopefully. He's fucking gash.

Michael Gash?

Hope & pray we sign a target man and a playmaker in midfield. Those who are pleased with our summer signings may need to think again. Jonas & Colocinni both look class, Guthrie is ok, Bassong a squad player, this doesn't make a successful spending spree.

We are woefully lacking quality and depth in the middle of the park & are very limited up front. Take that into Sept and all it would take would be a couple of injuries to see us limping towards January and a very poor league position. I'm not saying we have 4 days to save our season (what a great panic thread that would make) but we do have 4 days to give us a fighting chance of having a squad strong enough to challenge the top 10.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted by some of the recent comments in this thread, sounds like most of the intelligent folk have gone to bed in England there and left the lunatics to run the asylum.

In much the same way as NE5 showed illogical backing for the old board despite the wave of evidence against it, we've somehow got a new breed of poster here who will not have a bad word said about the new man in charge.

One such poster has complained in another post of people on here been so black or white in their views, pot and kettles, glass houses and throwing stones, spring to mind.

HTT telling supporters, who the bulk of which, have never seen a major trophy lifted in their lifetime as toon fans, to be patient, is pure comedy.

Whichever way you try to spin it, the cool hard facts are that we've got a squad of players that lacks numbers greatly (even KK admits it), with a huge drop off in quality outside the first 11.

Get your freakin heads out of the sand, we've made a good start but we can not sustain that with this squad, unless we get a huge slice of luck with injuries suspensions and form.

No one and I mean no one has criticised the quality of the recruits we have thus far brought in but if we don't bring in 2 or 3 quality players before Monday this will have been a failure of a transfer window, as was the last one and on hindsight the one before.

I hope to god Dave post another "I told you so" post on Monday evening laughing at all us miserable bastards and I'll be the first to laugh along and hold my hands up to say I was wrong to worry but the signs are not good. 

Who is saying we don't need the two or three more we've always needed? James and HTT? Tells you everything you need to know. ;)

I'm guessing the 'one such poster' bit is referring to me. Well Ashley and his mates are far from flawless, yet you're making out I will not have a bad word said about them. Er, seems to match what I was saying perfectly.

Guest neesy111

I'm absolutely flabbergasted by some of the recent comments in this thread, sounds like most of the intelligent folk have gone to bed in England there and left the lunatics to run the asylum.

In much the same way as NE5 showed illogical backing for the old board despite the wave of evidence against it, we've somehow got a new breed of poster here who will not have a bad word said about the new man in charge.

One such poster has complained in another post of people on here been so black or white in their views, pot and kettles, glass houses and throwing stones, spring to mind.

HTT telling supporters, who the bulk of which, have never seen a major trophy lifted in their lifetime as toon fans, to be patient, is pure comedy.

Whichever way you try to spin it, the cool hard facts are that we've got a squad of players that lacks numbers greatly (even KK admits it), with a huge drop off in quality outside the first 11.

Get your freakin heads out of the sand, we've made a good start but we can not sustain that with this squad, unless we get a huge slice of luck with injuries suspensions and form.

No one and I mean no one has criticised the quality of the recruits we have thus far brought in but if we don't bring in 2 or 3 quality players before Monday this will have been a failure of a transfer window, as was the last one and on hindsight the one before.

I hope to god Dave post another "I told you so" post on Monday evening laughing at all us miserable bastards and I'll be the first to laugh along and hold my hands up to say I was wrong to worry but the signs are not good.   

tbf i think 15 out of 20 premiership clubs would call this transfer window a failure for themselves, so it's not like we are the exception, clubs don't want to sell

I stand by everything I said, which was that they had ambition for the club, backed their managers to prove it, and replacing them with a better board with ambition, that would get better results and league positions ie qualify for europe so often, wouldn't be so easy as people thought.

Guest Howaythetoon

No I haven't, stop being so negative people and nit picky is my message, that and to wait and see.

We are not alone in this and while it isn't ideal, I'm sure we're doing and have done our best to rectify this. Anyone can go and bring in lots of players and spend lots of money but the only real way to improve the quality of the first-team is to buy players to displace those already in it. We've signed 3 such players thus far which has strengthened that first-team and indeed the squad, but of course we need more, but these players are hard to buy, look around you, quality just isn't readily available, seemingly even to those with money to spend.

Man Utd couldn't sustain a title challenge if they were hit with injuries and suspensions, like Arsenal couldn't last season. Again we are not alone in this. If our aim was to finish in the top 4 then I'd be worried, our aim should be top 8 and we should have enough. Everton and Villa with one of the smallest squads finished in the top 6 last season.

Didums. I WANT I WANT I WANT. Define quality btw because I guarantee Bassong, Jonas and Guthrie were not considered quality buys at first. I'd happily settle for another couple just like them.

tbf i think 15 out of 20 premiership clubs would call this transfer window a failure for themselves, so it's not like we are the exception, clubs don't want to sell

TBH i don't give a fucking shit what the how the other clubs think they have done, I care about what goes at Newcastle. And when we are fielding Alan Smith up front on his own and some reserve kid in the the middle of the park away to Wigan, what portsmouth did in this transfer window will have no relevance.

TBH i don't give a fucking shit what the how the other clubs think they have done, I care about what goes at Newcastle. And when we are fielding Alan Smith up front on his own and some reserve kid in the the middle of the park away to Wigan, what portsmouth did in this transfer window will have no relevance.

took the words right out of my mouth