So, who's signing in the final week?

Coxaux
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

hey, i'll tell what just occurred to me this morning:

with the various movements in & out so far this summer and the intimation from a number of places about a "WoW" signing how ironic it would be if the club went and 'pulled a shepherd' by bringing in a big name rather than fill squad positions we've needed all summer to pacify the fans!!

the collective mushroom cloud would take out the city!  ;)

{dons tin hat}

haha, some people never learn. I'm sure premiership quality footballlers will be playing in the sunday leagues tomorrow. We might find a quality centre forward playing for the Blue Star for a couple of quid. Go get 'em lads they're out there somewhere.

I didn't realise that Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourhino had been getting it wrong by buying quality footballers all these years. Slap their wrists.

Quite ironic that the 2 strikers most valuable to the club at the present time were "panic signings/trophy signings" bought by the previous regime, but I'll let you absorb that one.

not sure what you're on about NE5, too early in the morning?  it's not an attack on the previous board, far from it

but as you've raised it (inadvertently) one thing i would say about my point is this; for all the merits of the martins/owens/luques etc... and regardless of how they turned out in the end if you think that under shepherd's tenure the squad was ever balanced i'm sorry but you're a fucking balloon

ferguson/mourinho would build a side capable of winning things before they spaffed their load on one player at the expense of the team, i'm fairly certain of that, so would wenger...

i'll let you absorb that

oh if you'd have read it properly you'd have seen i was stating that it would be ironic that for all the talk of ashley being better than shepherd if ashley went and did exactly the same thing they criticise shepherd for, thought you'd see that pal

with the various movements in & out so far this summer and the intimation from a number of places about a "WoW" signing how ironic it would be if the club went and 'pulled a shepherd' by bringing in a big name rather than fill squad positions we've needed all summer to pacify the fans!!

{dons tin hat}

haha, some people never learn. I'm sure premiership quality footballlers will be playing in the sunday leagues tomorrow. We might find a quality centre forward playing for the Blue Star for a couple of quid. Go get 'em lads they're out there somewhere.

I didn't realise that Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourhino had been getting it wrong by buying quality footballers all these years. Slap their wrists.

Quite ironic that the 2 strikers most valuable to the club at the present time were "panic signings/trophy signings" bought by the previous regime, but I'll let you absorb that one.

There's nowt wrong with trophy signings if they are added to a well balanced squad. Buying one superstar and not being able to strengthen the rest of the squad as a result is what people have usually not been happy about, although you probably already know this.

{dons tin hat}

There's nowt wrong with trophy signings if they are added to a well balanced squad. Buying one superstar and not being able to strengthen the rest of the squad as a result is what people have usually not been happy about, although you probably already know this.

that's what i meant, i.e. we get samuel eto'o in for 30m on monday but don't have a right winger or CM for the rest of the season

not sure if he realised what i meant or not

{dons tin hat}

that's what i meant, i.e. we get samuel eto'o in for 30m on monday but don't have a right winger or CM for the rest of the season

not sure if he realised what i meant or not

Yep that's pretty much spot on.

{dons tin hat}

Just out of interest, your view is that the board arent backing keegan finacially and that if we need to get quality players then we need to over pay in order to get them in. Well Keegan himself has already said that he only wants players who will play for the shirt and understand what it means to play for nufc - do you think a player who was needed to be convinced by an extra 10-20k per week to come here would fit into that select category of a player wanting to play for nufc?

"Any quality cant play at Newcastle, we've seen that in the past"

Id agree with that.

{dons tin hat}

Just out of interest, your view is that the board arent backing keegan finacially and that if we need to get quality players then we need to over pay in order to get them in. Well Keegan himself has already said that he only wants players who will play for the shirt and understand what it means to play for nufc - do you think a player who was needed to be convinced by an extra 10-20k per week to come here would fit into that select category of a player wanting to play for nufc?

"Any quality cant play at Newcastle, we've seen that in the past"

Id agree with that.

kiss goodbye to this thread then...!

{dons tin hat}

don't be too sure. it's getting a little difficult to actually talk football with LM. only seems to roam around the topics that involve the board/chairman/ashley/shepherd

{dons tin hat}

not sure what you're on about NE5, too early in the morning?  it's not an attack on the previous board, far from it

but as you've raised it (inadvertently) one thing i would say about my point is this; for all the merits of the martins/owens/luques etc... and regardless of how they turned out in the end if you think that under shepherd's tenure the squad was ever balanced i'm sorry but you're a fucking balloon

ferguson/mourinho would build a side capable of winning things before they spaffed their load on one player at the expense of the team, i'm fairly certain of that, so would wenger...

i'll let you absorb that

oh if you'd have read it properly you'd have seen i was stating that it would be ironic that for all the talk of ashley being better than shepherd if ashley went and did exactly the same thing they criticise shepherd for, thought you'd see that pal

oh, I see it alright.

Pal.

FWIW, I don't think anybody is a WOW signing and never have. A quality player is a quality player full stop. I don't think the current situation is amusing at all, but did find it hugely amusing when people said the club did nothing but sign panic signings and trophy signings.

3 days left, and one more player down. Good fee or not. Keegan may have put his judgement on the line with the "timing" of this [what bell does that ring ?] sale - and I find it hard to believe he has done it without being confident of bringing in a replacement who is better - but thats my entire point. Why does it look like he is selling to buy rather than - as pointed out earlier - buying to strengthen the team and squad which is what progressive clubs with the biggest gates ought to be doing ?

Hmmm, says that he's passed a medical but it has been verbally agreed that he'll come to us for a loan spell as Valencia are happy with their clubs depth at this moment.

El Pais is a reliable source, so I'm inclined to believe this. It's the paper I read when I'm in Spain  :laugh:

EDIT

It's a year long loan, couldn't find that bit before.

This is from the Uruguayan El Pais, not the Spanish paper of the same name.

Not sure what that means about its trustworthiness.

Well Keegan himself has already said that he only wants players who will play for the shirt and understand what it means to play for nufc - do you think a player who was needed to be convinced by an extra 10-20k per week to come here would fit into that select category of a player wanting to play for nufc?

Oh please. Find me a manager who doesn't say that.

The first player we signed cancelled his contract with his previous club so he could get a premier league salary FFS. Are you deluded enough to think he joined specifically because he wanted to play for US, and that he wouldn't have gone somewhere else if they'd offered him a better deal?

{dons tin hat}

I think you should go and look at the players we have signed during the past 10, 12 or 15 years and you will find the vast majority are nothing of the kind.

Keep making things up though, its amusing. The same as your statement earlier that I "claim to have supported the club during the dark days of westwood". Ironic as you yourself appear to know nothing about those days. What do you want to know ?

The "panic signing" that most people have criticised the club for buying, is now the player most people would appear to want to keep at the club badly. Hypocrisy at its best. You can't have enough quality players. Its all about getting them in and moving others on and always has been.

oh, I see it alright.

Pal.

FWIW, I don't think anybody is a WOW signing and never have. A quality player is a quality player full stop. I don't think the current situation is amusing at all, but did find it hugely amusing when people said the club did nothing but sign panic signings and trophy signings.

3 days left, and one more player down. Good fee or not. Keegan may have put his judgement on the line with the "timing" of this [what bell does that ring ?] sale - and I find it hard to believe he has done it without being confident of bringing in a replacement who is better - but thats my entire point. Why does it look like he is selling to buy rather than - as pointed out earlier - buying to strengthen the team and squad which is what progressive clubs with the biggest gates ought to be doing ?

We're not buying to sell but that doesn't sit well with you, does it?

{dons tin hat}

i'll let you absorb that

oh, I see it alright.

Pal.

erm, NE5, everything you've put in bold there is just my original post regurgitated basically

what the fuck are you arguing about?

Hmmm, says that he's passed a medical but it has been verbally agreed that he'll come to us for a loan spell as Valencia are happy with their clubs depth at this moment.

El Pais is a reliable source, so I'm inclined to believe this. It's the paper I read when I'm in Spain  :laugh:

EDIT

It's a year long loan, couldn't find that bit before.

This is from the Uruguayan El Pais, not the Spanish paper of the same name.

Not sure what that means about its trustworthiness.

So it is.

Hmmm, it's still from El Pais the Spanish based paper so I guess it doesn't make any difference. Good spot that  :laugh:

{dons tin hat}

i'll let you absorb that

oh, I see it alright.

Pal.

erm, NE5, everything you've put in bold there is just my original post regurgitated basically

wtf are you arguing about then ?  I agree with you that the irony would be lost on many people, but I always said that the club just bought and sold players like anybody else, only with [quite rightly] higher standards than most.

I don't have a problem with buying a better player than one you have, you move the replaced player on and keep looking to strengthen the other areas at the same time.

This is totally different to only concentrating on one or two problem areas, you always should be looking to improve all positions. Our signings are great, but it doesn't hide the fact that if we have even one injury up front, we are buggered. Not to mention that - as you are talking about a balanced team here - our strikers are as unbalanced as any time I can remember, as Viduka will never play 25 games never mind perform well in about 25-30 games which is the basic requirement.

Sadly, there are still others with their heads in the sand. Some of whom claim to have supported the club during the dark days of Westwood, McKeag too etc and actually appear to think we should be happy to go back to dabble around the basement and free transfer market, buying Spurs reserve players again instead of "trophy signings"

{dons tin hat}

but as you've raised it (inadvertently) one thing i would say about my point is this; for all the merits of the martins/owens/luques etc... and regardless of how they turned out in the end if you think that under shepherd's tenure the squad was ever balanced i'm sorry but you're a f***ing balloon

i'll let you absorb that

oh, I see it alright.

Pal.

what the f*** are you arguing about?

wtf are you arguing about then ?  I agree with you that the irony would be lost on many people, but I always said that the club just bought and sold players like anybody else, only with [quite rightly] higher standards than most.

I don't have a problem with buying a better player than one you have, you move the replaced player on and keep looking to strengthen the other areas at the same time.

This is totally different to only concentrating on one or two problem areas, you always should be looking to improve all positions. Our signings are great, but it doesn't hide the fact that if we have even one injury up front, we are buggered. Not to mention that - as you are talking about a balanced team here - our strikers are as unbalanced as any time I can remember, as Viduka will never play 25 games never mind perform well in about 25-30 games which is the basic requirement.

Sadly, there are still others with their heads in the sand. Some of whom claim to have supported the club during the dark days of Westwood, McKeag too etc and actually appear to think we should be happy to go back to dabble around the basement and free transfer market, buying Spurs reserve players again instead of "trophy signings"

i'll bet most want a balance. to buy the best we can regardless of price but within what we can afford. ie your method of "the price doesn't matter,pay it back later" is for most,myself included, a recipe for longterm disaster.

{dons tin hat}

i'll let you absorb that

oh, I see it alright.

Pal.

it appears we're no longer arguing then....agreed

It doesn't matter what Ashley etc if I'm being honest as NE5 you know if they do splash the cash you'll just say well the old board done this and yous weren't happy with this or why is nobody moaning about these so-called 'trophy' players now.

Well Keegan himself has already said that he only wants players who will play for the shirt and understand what it means to play for nufc - do you think a player who was needed to be convinced by an extra 10-20k per week to come here would fit into that select category of a player wanting to play for nufc?

Oh please. Find me a manager who doesn't say that.

The first player we signed cancelled his contract with his previous club so he could get a premier league salary FFS. Are you deluded enough to think he joined specifically because he wanted to play for US, and that he wouldn't have gone somewhere else if they'd offered him a better deal?

Thats not quite what im getting at, but i do see your point.

Who are you to say that that isnt the case? Alledgedly there was a top 4 club involved as well....im certainly not saying it IS the case but who knows for sure.??

All im saying is that if Keegan has to actively offer the player too much as opposed to a marked improvement on his previous contract then wouldnt it contradict his criteria, theres a definite difference there in my eyes.

Owen and Luque would fit into the first criteria (of being offered too much to come here), Jonas, Colocinni and Guthrie fit into the second criterai (Of having an marked improvemnt on there previous contract). I see the difference there, do you? and do you think its the right way to go, or do you beleive that if a player doesnt want to come here we should offer him monetary compensation in order to get him commited to the team?

In an ideal world id rather have player happy to be here - seems to be the crux of what Keegan wants as well.