James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Heneage

I'll wait till I see consistency, he would produce the spectacular for us, but his game lacked the consistency to make him a top player.

I never rated Milner and I still think at the time we did very well to sell him for £12m, but he seems to be doing very very well now. He needs pacey and dynamic players around him, which he now has.

And finally someone seems to have realised the obvious, that he's an attacking central midfielder and not a wide player.

Precisely. Still is horribly average as a winger in my eyes. However, through the middle, his strongest assets, which are his workrate and his shooting, are really paying dividends for him. Also looks like he is pretty good at threading a through ball too to be fair to him. He has always been a hard worker so really can't fault his success. Well done.

you thought routledge was better, didn't ya?

As a winger, yes I did back in the day. You underestimate my dislike for Milner out wide. I find him incredibly frustrating out there.

He's playing better in a decent team. Doesn't mean he's a great player and doesn't mean we shouldn't have sold him for 12 million pounds when we had the chance.

that was a great deal on the face of it, but considering we never replaced him and got relegated, it turned out to be a pretty crap one.

I just don't get some people want money more than a player. I don't get it did you guys see where the 12 million pound spent? Yet we still say it was a good bit of business. Please just support the team don't go to financial details. Milner is a class player had we kept him last year he might make one of our draws to a win and we would have stayed in the premier league...

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

Gutted that he was sold, even for £12 million. He was only ever going to improve, and we would probably be in the Premiership still also.

He's playing better in a decent team. Doesn't mean he's a great player and doesn't mean we shouldn't have sold him for 12 million pounds when we had the chance.

Yeah, this. Milner isn't the quickest and needs time and space to operate. He gets that in a side which is better than the opposition more often than not.

He's developing well and way above the level he ever would have done here.  He could keep this form up for the next 5 years and some wont give him any credit.  The £12m was not good business at all, it was the equivalent of selling your house for a good price then sleeping in a tent.

I think that selling Milner for 12 million would have been good business becaus I think we could have gone to buy a better replacement, for example Schweinsteiger. This would have given us a probably better player than Milner is now and it would have kept us Keegan and therefore us in the Premierleague. 

that was a great deal on the face of it, but considering we never replaced him and got relegated, it turned out to be a pretty crap one.

Yep, fair play to the people going on about the 12m being a great deal, it has been spent wisely after all.

I'll wait till I see consistency, he would produce the spectacular for us, but his game lacked the consistency to make him a top player.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,65468.30.html#quickreply

I see Milner has scored again for Aston Villa today. He must be getting on for having scored more goals for Aston Villa than he did at Newcastle. Duff seems to be a Hell of a lot more productive goals and assists wise at Fulham than he ever was for us. I wonder why?

Not only did he score, he was absolutely superb from start to finish. Our best player by far this season

He was our best player under Roeder. He's only been s*** for us under Big Sam -- and who wasn't? Milner was by far our most underrated player.

The club's two best spells when he was on our books came when he was out of the team, Roeder end of 05-06 season when he was at Villa on loan, and Keegan end of 07-08 season.

Same applies to Martins - and Milner is TWICE the player Martins is.

I said at the time that Milner would benefit from MON and John Robertson's coaching/management and we are seeing the results now..do you think that Villa would sell him BACK to us for 12m...?

He's developing well and way above the level he ever would have done here.  He could keep this form up for the next 5 years and some wont give him any credit.  The £12m was not good business at all, it was the equivalent of selling your house for a good price then sleeping in a tent.

Totally agree - the lad is better out of it anyway.

He was our best player under Roeder. He's only been s*** for us under Big Sam -- and who wasn't? Milner was by far our most underrated player.

The club's two best spells when he was on our books came when he was out of the team, Roeder end of 05-06 season when he was at Villa on loan, and Keegan end of 07-08 season.

He acted fucking legendary when we tried to ship him out and then recalled him at the last minute. Most would have thrown the toys out of the pram and he just got up and got on with it.

Guest toonlass

He acted fucking legendary when we tried to ship him out and then recalled him at the last minute. Most would have thrown the toys out of the pram and he just got up and got on with it.

:snod: