James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I want Milner to stay, but he has to live by the terms of the contract he not long ago, agreed to. His pay probably doesn't match that of "lesser" players, but now is not the time to ask for more money. IMO that time will only be towards the end of his current deal. Otherwise he is holding the club to ransom.

If we give in to his pay demands so soon into a contract, then others will think they can do exactly the same.

I do wan't him to stay though.

I want Milner to stay, but he has to live by the terms of the contract he not long ago, agreed to. His pay probably doesn't match that of "lesser" players, but now is not the time to ask for more money. IMO that time will only be towards the end of his current deal. Otherwise he is holding the club to ransom.

If we give in to his pay demands so soon into a contract, then others will think they can do exactly the same.

He has to be paid what he is worth.  And thats regardless of how long is left on his contract.  If he is not paid what he is worth, then he has every right to request a transfer.

The questions are, firstly is he being paid what he is worth, and if he is not, then why not.

The kid is entitled to ask for a rise and just as entitled to request a move to a club that want him enough to pay him what he is worth.  Just the same as it is with any of us in our jobs.

we should only sell once we have the replacement

does everyone agree with that?

Absolutely. Should. Yes.

Does everyone agree that if Milner is sold and not replaced then we as fans have every right to feel dudded?

No because the right player might not be available. If it was that easy to sign quality we would have been doing it all summer.

That's valid.

My position is that the situation is of the club's own making, that their attitude to Milner's contract has forced a situation whereby it may be necessary to replace him at short notice in what has indeed been a sluggish transfer window.

And even if you're in the "flog him off camp" selling him first and even running the risk of not replacing him is madness. No matter how shit you might think he is, his departure leaves a hole in the first team squad - and before long there are kneejerkers cursing Lua Lua for giving the ball away in the box...

He has to be paid what he is worth.  And thats regardless of how long is left on his contract.  If he is not paid what he is worth, then he has every right to request a transfer.

The questions are, firstly is he being paid what he is worth, and if he is not, then why not.

The kid is entitled to ask for a rise and just as entitled to request a move to a club that want him enough to pay him what he is worth.  Just the same as it is with any of us in our jobs.

When he signed his contract, he agreed to play for us for "x" amount of time for "x" amount of money. Unfortunately for him, that's what he accepted, regardless of what's happened since. Personally, i think he's worth a wage comparible with the best at the club, but he's committed himself to certain terms.

His only reasonable options are to seek alternative employment or accept the terms of his contract.

The problem isnt whether he is worth the raise, the problem is why the daft buggers upstairs think taylor is, thats where they dropped the ball. in reality neither are worth the sums being bandied about thats not open for debate. the double standards is a problem that we have shot ourselves in the foot with.

Taylors contract was running down, that's why he recieved a new one.

If Milner wasn't happy with the terms on his contract a year ago he shouldn't have agreed to them.

Don't you know? Ashley forced him to sign that deal at gunpoint. Its all his fault.

Taylors contract was running down, that's why he recieved a new one.

If Milner wasn't happy with the terms on his contract a year ago he shouldn't have agreed to them.

Exactly. Taylor was also still on the terms of his academy contract (i.e. a pittance for a Premiership first teamer).

f***ing hell, he didn't exactly rip up the league Ronaldo-style last season did he?

He's not due a payrise from us, simple as that.

So if he is on £10k a week then, which is quite possible, do you not think he is worth a rise?  Considering O Neil has been giving his youngsters new contracts quite publicly this week and that other players of similar calibre in our team are possibly on more than he is.  And if he is on that and the club have said no to a new contract do you think he should just accept that and stay for another 3 years before he gets a rise?

If you think that will ever work in any line of business you're quite naive.

However if he is on £20k pw and is arguing over £30k, then its slightly different.  But I don't think he is on £20k a week, I think its closer to £10k and hes probably asking for £20k.

But we dont know do we? So there's no way you can say he isn't worth a rise. Even a player of milners age, quality and end product has a value to us regardless of goals, assists etc. If hes not getting that then theres something wrong IMO.  It seems he is a true gent and is the type that is probably easily walked over. I can see him signing that contract a bit naively and has just realised what has happened.  If thats the case then good on him.

Maybe they should have looked around at the books and given taylor something closer to milners wage than duffs. i dont think milner deserves superstar wages but i dont see why he should be earning less than taylor. blame lies with whom ever is handing out the contracts or not as the case may be.

Guest neesy111

f***ing hell, he didn't exactly rip up the league Ronaldo-style last season did he?

So if he is on £10k a week then, which is quite possible, do you not think he is worth a rise?  Considering O Neil has been giving his youngsters new contracts quite publicly this week and that other players of similar calibre in our team are possibly on more than he is.

And if he is on that and the club have said no to a new contract do you think he should just accept that and stay for another 3 years before he gets a rise?

However if he is on £20k pw and is arguing over £30k, then its slightly different.  But I don't think he is on £20k a week, I think its closer to £10k and hes probably asking for £20k.

But we dont know do we? So there's no way you can say he isn't worth a rise. Even a player of milners age, quality and end product has a value to us regardless of goals, assists etc. If hes not getting that then theres something wrong IMO.

he's on 30k a week, he got a 20k contract when he came here

From what was claimed at the time, Milner and N'Zogbia were on £25,000, Taylor was on £5,000, Taylor wanted parity with those two.

So unless Taylor's Dad was lying about Taylor only wanting parity with the younger players and Taylor has since been flashing his paypacket around the dressing room, I can't see how pay parity would be an issue now.

What Milner is earning has got fuck all to do with what the other players at the club are earning. On that basis, Michael Owen can point at Alan Smith and say "if he's on £50k, I want at least £18m a week." and even then we'd be getting a relative bargain.

If he wasn't happy with it, he shouldn't have signed it. Also, although it's guesswork, we (and that's 'we' being Freddy Shepherd, who wasn't exactly tight with wages) paid £5m for him and we have given him an improved deal since then - if you think he's on close to £10k a week, you're deluded imo.

So if he is on £10k a week then, which is quite possible, do you not think he is worth a rise?  Considering O Neil has been giving his youngsters new contracts quite publicly this week and that other players of similar calibre in our team are possibly on more than he is.

And if he is on that and the club have said no to a new contract do you think he should just accept that and stay for another 3 years before he gets a rise?

But we dont know do we? So there's no way you can say he isn't worth a rise. Even a player of milners age, quality and end product has a value to us regardless of goals, assists etc. If hes not getting that then theres something wrong IMO.

Milner has done nothing to earn a new contract since he last signed one. He played very hit and miss last season, offered very little in the way of assists, goals or creating chances for us and it wasn't until he was injured and therefore not playing in the team until we saw a marked improvement on the pitch. Geremi offered much more than him and that says something.

If he had gone and had a brilliant season he'd have a leg to stand on, but he didn't. He has two choices now, stay and fight for a new contract or leave. If we get a replacement I wouldn't be bothered to see him leave to be honest.

Maybe they should have looked around at the books and given taylor something closer to milners wage than duffs. i dont think milner deserves superstar wages but i dont see why he should be earning less than taylor. blame lies with whom ever is handing out the contracts or not as the case may be.

So you're saying we should have told Taylor "you can have what Milners on or you can leave for nowt" and left it at that? ???

Again Taylor's contract was running out therefore we had to negotiate a new contract with him.  Milner is one year into a four year contract, these two situations can't even be compared.

When Milner leaves I wonder if his taxi will start then stop...swerve left then right away from the oncoming traffic...before finally arriving late in the wrong destination?

Will struggle to get by the first set of lights tbh.

When Milner leaves I wonder if his taxi will start then stop...swerve left then right away from the oncoming traffic...before finally arriving late in the wrong destination?

:clap: Nice. That really made me laugh.

Theres no way he is on £25k or £30k. 

And theres no reliable sourse to back that up with.

So as I said, nobody knows.

Well if nobody knows how can you say he isn't on 25k/30k?

Answer that one, oracle.  :pow:

Theres no way he is on £25k or £30k. 

And theres no reliable sourse to back that up with.

So as I said, nobody knows.

There's far more chance of him being on £30,000 then £10,000.

mackems.gif

Guest Mantis

There is some complete bollox being spouted on here. 

He is seeing almost all his colleagues on at least double his money despite 'not ripping up the league like Ronaldo' last season.  He has no doubt been offered more than double his current wages elsewhere.  Simple maths.  There isn't anyone on this forum who would not want to change employer if another company offered you double the money, despite your work being of shit quality.  He's in the right 100% and I dont care about contracts because they mean nothing in football or in everyday life.  You can ask for a rise whenever, just as the boss can say no whenever