Ignacio María González signed from Valencia on year-long loan deal

Guest sicko2ndbest

in my opinion he isnt the most mobile player, i felt he was similar to emre in a way, felt a bit uninterested, probably lacking in fitness, we'll have to wait & see, he's definately no Jonas!

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/09/12/squad-looking-thin-for-nufc-caretaker-manager-hughton-61634-21802828/

the claim from Keegan since his departure is that at least one of the new signings was made despite the fact he had argued he was not good enough for the Premier League.

Given that Keegan met Xisco on the day he signed, the suggestion is that it was Gonzalez, who has signed on a season’s loan from Valencia, which infuriated him, particularly as he had been told by the board that a left-back would definitely arrive before the close of the window.

Seems like Keegan wasn't happy with signing this fella. Will be interesting to see if he was right.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/09/12/squad-looking-thin-for-nufc-caretaker-manager-hughton-61634-21802828/

the claim from Keegan since his departure is that at least one of the new signings was made despite the fact he had argued he was not good enough for the Premier League.

Given that Keegan met Xisco on the day he signed, the suggestion is that it was Gonzalez, who has signed on a season’s loan from Valencia, which infuriated him, particularly as he had been told by the board that a left-back would definitely arrive before the close of the window.

Seems like Keegan wasn't happy with signing this fella. Will be interesting to see if he was right.

the fact that it is still trotting the left back thing makes me doubt it. i can't believe keegan would actually view a back up left back as a higher priority than a striker given the present squad.

the fact that it is still trotting the left back thing makes me doubt it. i can't believe keegan would actually view a back up left back as a higher priority than a striker given the present squad.

Who says he did?, we got a striker.

we didn't at the time the left back thing came to light. unless of course he knew we were getting  a striker,who it was and was happy with it ?

I think it's fairly common knowledge that Keegan was pushing hard for a left back, something a lot of us debated about in the various Enrique threads.

we didn't at the time the left back thing came to light. unless of course he knew we were getting  a striker,who it was and was happy with it ?

Obviously he wanted players in a few positions and was told that certain positions would be filled, left back being one of them.

Obviously he wanted players in a few positions and was told that certain positions would be filled, left back being one of them.

it's just the way the article puts it,almost as if keegan walked because we didn't get a left back. seems bizzarre that left back was almost exclusivly the position keegan talked of when it was possibly the last position most would have been thinking of.

it's just the way the article puts it,almost as if keegan walked because we didn't get a left back. seems bizzarre that left back was almost exclusivly the position keegan talked of when it was possibly the last position most would have been thinking of.

Did you read the full article? I highlighted that part but if you read it all it's fairly well balanced. Luke Edwards isn't a bad journo compared to some of our local hacks IMO.

Right.

So basically, it's looking like after selling Milner, we probably weren't able to tie up the deal for whoever his replacement was, probably Shweinstiger, and so we brought in Gonzalez on loan.

As far as the left back thing goes. It appears the club weren't able to get Warnock in, and so it was probably the same thing there, with us trying for Atouba as an alternative, which Keegan probably wasn't happy with either. Who knows?

If this is what has caused Keegan to resign then it's disgusting. I wouldn't be at all surprised tbh.

Right.

So basically, it's looking like after selling Milner, we probably weren't able to tie up the deal for whoever his replacement was, probably Shweinstiger, and so we brought in Gonzalez on loan.

As far as the left back thing goes. It appears the club weren't able to get Warnock in, and so it was probably the same thing there, with us trying for Atouba as an alternative, which Keegan probably wasn't happy with either. Who knows?

If this is what has caused Keegan to resign then it's disgusting. I wouldn't be at all surprised tbh.

Right.

So good you posted twice!

If you believe Keegan has resigned over the failure to land Atouba........Jesus

I think Keegan walked because the likes of Nacho were signed even though he didn't want him, and players he did want didn't arrive. That's why I said it will be interesting to watch this guy and see if keegan was right.

Guest optimistic nit

If you believe Keegan has resigned over the failure to land Atouba........Jesus

I think Keegan walked because the likes of Nacho were signed even though he didn't want him, and players he did want didn't arrive. That's why I said it will be interesting to watch this guy and see if keegan was right.

i dont think it will be a case of keegan being right or wrong. i simply think nacho is a replacement, or a signing, for a position we need, and keegan didn't know anything about him and wasn't happy about that, when he wanted someone who he knew would improve the team in a position we badly need.

Guest optimistic nit

Thought he did okay with the few touches he had. He is million times better than Butt or Guthrie, that may only make him average though :-[

what are you talking about. :lol: