Xisco signed from Deportivo on 5 year deal

Guest hindu times

After only having one training session with the squad it was always guna be tough for him considering the circumstances. It takes time for everyone to know how to play with him and what his strengths are. I think we saw as the game went on he slowly became more confident and the players knew how to play it to him. He looked very strong in the air, won more than his fair share of headers late on against two big centre backs. Promising imo

Xisco distracted by Toon turmoil

Summer signing striving to maintain focus

Spanish striker Xisco admits the off-field distractions at Newcastle are having a damaging effect upon the St James' Park squad.

The Magpies remain without a manager following the resignation of Kevin Keegan earlier in September, and Newcastle owner Mike Ashley recently announced that he was looking to sell the club.

It is reported Ashley is asking for a fee in the region of £481million and that he is in discussions with a Dubai-based group of investors, but Tyneside fans are continuing to voice concerns.

The Toon Army staged angry protests against Ashley in last Saturday's 2-1 home defeat to Hull, a game in which summer signing Xisco marked his debut with a goal.

And the former Deportivo La Coruna player confesses that the boardroom trauma is a disruptive influence, telling Marca: "The players are on the outskirts of all this, and these are things that don't help the team.

Reaction

"We have to try to remain focused and play well in the games ahead. Then, when things are sorted, then we'll look at it.

"Now we have to concentrate on getting a good streak of results and nothing else."

And the 22-year-old was surprised by the reaction of members of the home crowd last weekend.

"It was a feeling that I had never experienced before. I have seen few places so animated," Xisco added.

"It's a pity that we couldn't win the game because then my debut would have been perfect. I'm happy to have scored a goal but the joy wasn't complete."

• 4 weeks later...

I just realised there is a player named Xisco who plays for Levante, and was born in the same time on the same day. This will confuse more folks than Ikechukwu Uche and Uche Okechukwu, and the two Juninhos. Fantastic!!

It wont fool many around these parts as one of them actually plays for our team.

I just realised there is a player named Xisco who plays for Levante, and was born in the same time on the same day. This will confuse more folks than Ikechukwu Uche and Uche Okechukwu, and the two Juninhos. Fantastic!!

It wont fool many around these parts as one of the actually plays for our team.

Let's hope we didn't sign the wrong one though!

This guy must be good, wasnt there Deper fans coming on here freaking out cos we bought another one of there best players?Hes still young,will take him time to adapt to a whole knew lifestyle and  the premierships  completely different style of play compared La Liga.Not to mention Keegan leaving as soon as he signed particually wouldnt have helped.I was disapointed that jk brought Shola on ahead of him the last day.He as at least looked better than Shola from what I have seen so far.

This guy must be good, wasnt there Deper fans coming on here freaking out cos we bought another one of there best players?Hes still young,will take him time to adapt to a whole knew lifestyle and  the premierships  completely different style of play compared La Liga.Not to mention Keegan leaving as soon as he signed particually wouldnt have helped.I was disapointed that jk brought Shola on ahead of him the last day.He as at least looked better than Shola from what I have seen so far.

Purely on what we've seen THIS season, Xisco has not performed as well as Ameobi.

Purely on what we've seen THIS season, Xisco has not performed as well as Ameobi.

Difference = Shola's been here forever.

did Ameobi perform?  ???

Xisco did ok against Hull and West Ham I thought. Much better than Ameobi, just needs to adapt to this league, Martins took a while and tbh is still learning

really rate Xisco tbh, quality striker with pretty much everything going for him save the positional sense

Guest Heneage

Xisco did ok against Hull and West Ham I thought. Much better than Ameobi, just needs to adapt to this league, Martins took a while and tbh is still learning

really rate Xisco tbh, quality striker with pretty much everything going for him save the positional sense

Well by gum I agree with you he does look good. Those comparing him to Ameobi should log off their PC's from the day centre.

Hard to judge Xisco coming straight into a club in crisis and a team lacking confidence. If he's eased back in once we get a couple of results on board I think it'll give a better picture of what he can do.

I've seen nothing thus far. No real difference between him and Ameobi in terms of this year tbf.

I'm not writing him off, but let's not go insane about him just yet.

Against Blackburn he grafted his bollocks off tbf, and won his fair share of headers but there was nobody around him prepared to take a gamble and run onto the ball. Or so I thought.

In that game his work ethic was more than we've seen from Shola in many a year.

Xisco ready to stake his claim in NUFC shirt

Oct 15 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United striker Xisco has vowed to have the Toon Army shouting his name by grabbing his chance under Joe Kinnear with both hands.

The £5.7m man arrived on Tyneside just before the storm which erupted following Kevin Keegan’s departure.

Xisco was one of the signings of former transfer chief Tony Jimenez – and one of the straws that broke the camel’s back for Keegan.

The Majorca-born player netted a goal against Hull City on his Newcastle debut in the infamous 2-1 loss, but has failed to register since.

Yet although Kinnear has been working one on one with Shola Ameobi, it is understood that both Ameobi and Xisco will be handed their chance by the interim boss.

And Xisco, who was on target for the Spanish Under-21 side in their 3-1 extra-time European Championship play-off victory over Switzerland last night, has revealed he is determined to take it.

“I will get better and I will take my chance when it comes,” said Xisco, whose goal helped secure a 4-3 aggregate win for the Under-21s and a place in next year’s finals.

“Things always get better after more training and more games. And I hope that is the case at Newcastle.

“You always need to become more familiar with people when you arrive at a new club.”

Still just 22, Xisco had a respectable strike-rate of 12 goals in 44 games for Deportivo la Coruna, but there is clearly room for improvement for the burly striker.

And his 6ft 3in frame could be tailor-made for the sometimes brutal nature of the Premier League.

The former La Liga hit-man says: “Football is different in Spain, but I think I can adapt fast.

“I wanted to come and play in the Premier League because it is a big league. Along with La Liga, it is the strongest league in the world.

“Most players who have the opportunity to come here do so.

“And I just want to take my chance.”

Xisco goes into the mix for the game with Manchester City next Monday with Owen and Ameobi, but winger Damien Duff switched to a more central role for the trip to Everton in United’s last outing.

Duff netted the equaliser that afternoon, but Kinnear is likely to switch to a more offensive formation at St James’s Park.

And with Oba Martins, Mark Viduka and Alan Smith all injured, he is in the box seat to stake his claim.

Speaking on the possibility of linking up with former Real Madrid star Owen, he added: “I think we can play together.

“Of course we are different players on the pitch, but I think the combination is good. It is one that can work.”