KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's occured to me that the two Keegan wobblers both occurred after we'd been given a beating by top four clubs. The manner of the defeats emphasised the gap that exists between where we are and where we want to be, and after the Chelsea game, that certainly seemed to damage Keegan's morale. Keegan is vulnerable to these mood swings (eg as with England), and I reckon that it probably didn't take much to tip him over the edge.

Just a thought.

Good point, never really thought about it like that. :blush:

This IS true, but whilst it would irk anyone who is a winner, it wouldn't make them want to leave the club ;

The main issue is STILL that decisions over buying/selling had been taken out of his hands.

Anyone who believes the story that KK was trying to buy unrealistic players and couldnt focus on any others, must be a proper mong. 99% of this message board knows who is realistic or not, and i would dare say KK is just as switched on.

Anyone who believes the story that KK was trying to buy unrealistic players and couldnt focus on any others, must be a proper mong. 99% of this message board knows who is realistic or not, and i would dare say KK is just as switched on.

he publicly backed the abilities of smith & duff and stood by barton

i thought he had us playing good football and we'd have had a good season, but lets not pretend he's arsene-fucking-wenger eh?

It's occured to me that the two Keegan wobblers both occurred after we'd been given a beating by top four clubs. The manner of the defeats emphasised the gap that exists between where we are and where we want to be, and after the Chelsea game, that certainly seemed to damage Keegan's morale. Keegan is vulnerable to these mood swings (eg as with England), and I reckon that it probably didn't take much to tip him over the edge.

Just a thought.

I wonder why he didn't throw a "wobbler" after being pissed on by Villa last season, I'd say that was worse then losing to Chelsea or Arsenal.  What about 1-5 at home to Man U or 3-0 away to Liverpool, Everton away wasn't any better.

The characteristic of the Chelsea and Arsenal games were that they were a bringing down to earth after a period of optimism. We were starting to believe again, and then we were put in our place. Like I said, I think Keegan is vulnerable to mood swings.

i thought he had us playing good football and we'd have had a good season, but lets not pretend he's arsene-f***ing-wenger eh?

What did you want him to say?? " aye Smith & duff are wank like, Hope some mug buy's them from us"

i thought he had us playing good football and we'd have had a good season, but lets not pretend he's arsene-f***ing-wenger eh?

What did you want him to say?? " aye Smith & duff are wank like, Hope some mug buy's them from us"

i'd prefer a non-comment whatsoever rather than outright lies

just my opinion you understand, but i know where you're coming from of course

Just a thought.

I wonder why he didn't throw a "wobbler" after being pissed on by Villa last season, I'd say that was worse then losing to Chelsea or Arsenal.  What about 1-5 at home to Man U or 3-0 away to Liverpool, Everton away wasn't any better.

The characteristic of the Chelsea and Arsenal games were that they were a bringing down to earth after a period of optimism. We were starting to believe again, and then we were put in our place. Like I said, I think Keegan is vulnerable to mood swings.

Just a bit !

Just a thought.

Just a bit !

It's stating the obvious, isn't it? But it's amazing how many people are leaping to the conclusion that when Keegan walks out, it must be the fault of the person who has upset him.

During his first spell, it was very important for him to feel that the momentum was always upwards. He banned the word 'consolidation', didn't he. We were able to keep things going forward, because the Halls were pumping more and more money in for transfers. Keegan didn't stay once the money became tighter. Once things dip, even if things are dipping from quite a good position, he gets discouraged very quickly.

Just a thought.

Just a bit !

It's stating the obvious, isn't it? But it's amazing how many people are leaping to the conclusion that when Keegan walks out, it must be the fault of the person who has upset him.

During his first spell, it was very important for him to feel that the momentum was always upwards. He banned the word 'consolidation', didn't he. We were able to keep things going forward, because the Halls were pumping more and more money in for transfers. Keegan didn't stay once the money became tighter. Once things dip, even if things are dipping from quite a good position, he gets discouraged very quickly.

from the OP "pathetic" is the wrong word for me; i'd have some questions to ask for KK if i met him, such as -

what did he think leaving the club once the window closed would acheive? 

couldn't he have seen out the season to ensure a bit of stability and then move on quietly in the summer after 18 months in charge?

i fully understand it if he lost the plot over them trying to sell players he wanted to keep but they failed in that objective and are now unable to sell until january, so why walk out now?  he could have used the time between now and january to keep improving on the pitch & seek the assurances he wanted regarding transfers

wonder what happened that meant it all had to be so dramatic?  by that i mean if they had sold owen/barton successfully with no replacements i'd get it, but they didn't

presume he maybe made an ultimatium on the evening of the window closing or something and there was no going back

Just a thought.

Just a bit !

Keegan always wants to be the best he can be.

He retired from playing when he got outpaced by (I think) Hansen

He left as manager first time as being a plc would hamstring him

He left England when he couldnt raise the players game

He's left us now when the structure is hindering him.

He doesn't settle for being good at whatever position he is in, he has to be able to be the best that can possibly be in his current scenario

"Oh, yes, 'cause, like, I'm a bit

of a perfectionist, actually!                 

Yes, I am. See, for me, it's got to be

the best, or it's nothing at all.

Like things get a bit dodgy,

I just cannot be bothered."

Spud (Trainspotting)

Guest Geordiesned

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/09/06/could-keegan-return-to-toon-72703-21692591/

Could Keegan return to Toon?

Sep 6 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

KEVIN KEEGAN could be back as Newcastle United manager – if Mike Ashley sells out to any of the consortiums who want to buy the club.

That is the sensational news The Chronicle is hearing from the Keegan camp – and it is news which will absolutely delight the Toon Army.

I spoke to Keegan last night and, while he did not talk about his reasons for resigning or plans for the future, he was definitely upbeat.

Certainly it was a different Keegan to the one who left down in the dumps and headed for Florida sunshine when he quit United in 1997.

There is no doubt in my mind Tyneside’s favourite son has been lifted by the magnificent support he has received – not only in Newcastle but throughout the country.

The Chronicle revealed on Thursday that Anil Ambani and his Reliance Group, alerted by the current crisis at St James’s Park, had rekindled their interest in buying out United.

While the billionaire will remain in India, his representatives are heading to England on Monday to try to take over a Premier League club, with Newcastle United believed to be very high on their list.

When Ambani first moved for United, his plan, had he been successful, was to bring in a top European manager, but he will now be fully aware Keegan is the man the vast majority of the club’s fans want to see at the helm.

However, Toon supremo Ashley has always insisted he has no intention of selling the club and the ball is now very much in his court.

These are undoubtedly difficult days for the United owner, with his first job being to find a successor to Keegan.

Spurs have warned United off Gus Poyet and the latest name in the frame is that of another former White Hart Lane and England boss Terry Venables.

In normal circumstances, Venables working with a young coach like Alan Shearer would seem to be quite a good idea but as the Chronicle revealed last night, their former legendary skipper is not interested in returning under the present regime.

Venables is also part of the so-called London mafia, something which understandably does not go down well with the Newcastle fans.

Newcastle United are on a clear downward spiral at the moment and I cannot help recalling what Keegan told me in his very last interview as manager after last Saturday’s defeat by Arsenal at The Emirates.

He said then: “Once this football club gets on the march it is a pretty strong force, as has been proved in the past.

“Of course, when it goes backwards it goes backwards at twice the pace and that is the problem.”

Now all United fans can hope is that these last words from The Messiah do not turn out to be prophetic.

I've been thinking about the possibility of the club taking Keegan to court and it makes no logical sense for the club to sue Keegan for a couple of million quid, even if it is in his contract. £2m is nothing to Ashley and isn't a huge deal for the club either, the bad press and negative fan response would lose them more than that anyway. The only reason I can think of that makes any kind of sense to me is that the club is very angry with how this is being portrayed in the media and amongst the fans and feels that the truth of things is very different to what most people think it is. They may be feeling that whatever they say will not be reported accurately and wouldn't be believed by the fans, even if it was. They might think that the only way they can get their version of the truth aired would be in court and they're hoping to use this as a method of setting the record straight.

That's the only thing that I can think of that makes any sense whatsoever. :dontknow:

I've been thinking about the possibility of the club taking Keegan to court and it makes no logical sense for the club to sue Keegan for a couple of million quid, even if it is in his contract. £2m is nothing to Ashley and isn't a huge deal for the club either, the bad press and negative fan response would lose them more than that anyway. The only reason I can think of that makes any kind of sense to me is that the club is very angry with how this is being portrayed in the media and amongst the fans and feels that the truth of things is very different to what most people think it is. They may be feeling that whatever they say will not be reported accurately and wouldn't be believed by the fans, even if it was. They might think that the only way they can get their version of the truth aired would be in court and they're hoping to use this as a method of setting the record straight.

That's the only thing that I can think of that makes any sense whatsoever. :dontknow:

Indi - you're one of a very few on here that is seeing the bigger picture and actually applying any rational thought to the situation, rather than going on gut instinct and knee-jerk sentimentality, for which you are to be applauded.

don't know if already posted... a new official statemant:

Official NUFC Statement: September 6

NUFC wished, at all times, to keep any dispute that it had with Kevin Keegan private.

It is therefore disappointing that information has reached the media through unnamed sources and a briefing has been given by the League Managers Association that could give rise to a misleading impression amongst the Club's fans.

Newcastle United have no desire to engage in a war of words but inaccurate reporting of factual matters and inaccurate allegations have to be corrected.

Article continues>>

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, on appointment on 16th January 2008, agreed to report to a Director of Football and to the Board.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan worked within that structure from 16th January 2008 until his resignation.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the Team.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan was allowed to manage his specific duties without any interference from any Board member.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan agreed only to deal with the media in relation to Club matters relating to the Team and not to communicate with the media in relation to the acquisition or disposal of players.

It is a fact that NUFC is a business and operates, like all businesses, with financial constraints.

It is a fact that NUFC's financial constraints inform its transfer dealings.

The Board of NUFC have responsibility to ensure that the club is able to meet its commitments which include the wages and the transfer fees for players.

The structure at NUFC is clear, and has been clear from 16th January 2008.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1386220,00.html

don't know if already posted... a new official statemant:

Official NUFC Statement: September 6

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan agreed only to deal with the media in relation to Club matters relating to the Team and not to communicate with the media in relation to the acquisition or disposal of players.

So you told Keegan to keep his mouth shut. Frightened he'd let the cat out of the bag, eh?

It is a fact that NUFC is a business and operates, like all businesses, with financial constraints.

It is a fact that NUFC's financial constraints inform its transfer dealings.

The Board of NUFC have responsibility to ensure that the club is able to meet its commitments which include the wages and the transfer fees for players.

We've got a billionaire, but we've got zero money for transfers - Bollocks.

The structure at NUFC is clear, and has been clear from 16th January 2008.

I don't recall being informed Keegan had no say in signings, or that we had no money to buy anyone. I certainly wouldn't have renewed had it been said.

Lying, greedy cunts. They said Keegan had say in who we signed, now they're turning round and denying it.

Should be reported for false advertising. I want my money back.