Who Do You Want As Keegan's Replacement?

Tooj

Mike Ashley to oversee NUFC manager hunt

Sep 26 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United owner Mike Ashley will take charge personally of the task of finding an interim manager at St James’s Park after being snubbed by Terry Venables last night.

It has to be said that it is a humiliating snub for United, which only increases talk that they are the laughing stock of football.

And I understand after his recruitment team of Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez have failed to come up with a replacement for Kevin Keegan – either in the short or long- term – Ashley will now do it his way.

As a result, the names of those managers, or should it be ex-managers, who are currently not in a position at a club will crop up.

Big names like Glenn Hoddle, George Graham, Frank Rijkaard, Alan Curbishley and Roberto Mancini.

Wise was pictured alongside Dave Bassett when Watford entertained Reading at Vicarage Road on Saturday and probably had a little laugh at the goal that never was.

But nobody on Tyneside is laughing at the moment as United continue to lurch from one crisis to another.

If Wise and Jimenez have exhausted their list of candidates, Ashley could even listen to his managing director Derek Llambias, who is a personal friend of David O’Leary.

O’Leary left for a family holiday yesterday in America, but he would be willing to get straight back on a plane if he got a call from Llambias.

Whoever does come in, either in the short or long-term, will find some, if not a lot, of hostility from the United fans, who in the main only want one man – Kevin Keegan.

But like him or loathe him, at least O’Leary has to bottle to say he would be prepared to come into one of the hottest seats in football.

Venables was not prepared to, even though there is a slim chance that the former England boss will change his mind over the weekend.

United fans ave every right to look at tomorrow’s game and worry if Blackburn Rovers will pull off their fourth win on the bounce at St James’s Park.

Rovers boss Paul Ince, who was on United’s shortlist for a full time manager a couple of weeks ago, will be aware of this.

But what he probably won’t know is that two of those United defeats at the hands of Blackburn were the beginning of the end for Graeme Souness and Glenn Roeder.

Why would they want to come to a club whose owner is on the way out?

For all they know the next owner might not want them. A lack of job security. Ashley messed up by making it so clear and public that he is on the way out.

David O'Leary has told Sky Sports News he would consider taking up the vacant managerial role at Newcastle United if he was approached by the club.

The Tyneside outfit have been without a boss since Kevin Keegan parted company with the Premier League club at the beginning of September.

Chris Hughton has been placed in caretaker charge of the side, but this week Terry Venables emerged as a potential candidate for the position on a short-term basis.

However, ex-England boss Venables has ruled himself out of the running due to the uncertainty surrounding the ownership at St James' Park.

Glenn Hoddle has also been touted as a potential interim successor to Keegan, but he has yet to voice his stance on the matter.

Former Leeds United and Aston Villa manager O'Leary, though, has intimated that he would look into taking such an opportunity.

But O'Leary, who has been out of management since he left Villa in 2006, confirmed that he has yet to receive a formal offer from the club.

Why would they want to come to a club whose owner is on the way out?

For all they know the next owner might not want them. A lack of job security. Ashley messed up by making it so clear and public that he is on the way out.

His hand was forced. If he had said nothing he was fucked and the protests would have got worse.

If he had said nothing publicly, he would have still had to come clean to any prospective manager so we would have ended up in the even worse a position because the protests would have put even more people off.

What about Roy Keane

From Setanta

Keane’s long-term future with The Black Cats still has an element of doubt surrounding it as the former Manchester United midfielder is yet to sign a new contract with his current deal expiring at the end of the current campaign.

The Sunderland boss insists there are no problematic issues with the ongoing negotiations though.

"There is no problem," Keane continued. "You negotiate. I step back and focus on trying to win football matches and getting this football club to another level and I let my solicitor deal with that side of things.

"It might happen tomorrow, it might happen at Christmas, it might happen at the end of the season.

Guest Chubby Jason

What about Roy Keane

From Setanta

Keane’s long-term future with The Black Cats still has an element of doubt surrounding it as the former Manchester United midfielder is yet to sign a new contract with his current deal expiring at the end of the current campaign.

The Sunderland boss insists there are no problematic issues with the ongoing negotiations though.

"There is no problem," Keane continued. "You negotiate. I step back and focus on trying to win football matches and getting this football club to another level and I let my solicitor deal with that side of things.

"It might happen tomorrow, it might happen at Christmas, it might happen at the end of the season.

I'd personally love it if Keane came here.

Won't happen though.

Advocaat wants to leave Zenit in November.

Source or Link?

ZENIT, Advocaat could leave at the end of the year

22.08.2008 00.10 by Eddy Akoglu    read 987

Latest rumours from Russia are suggesting that Ducth coach Dick Advocaat could leave Zenit St.Petersburg at the end of 2008. Advocaat is apparently sought after by Liverpool and Middlesbrough. Moreover, the harsh St.Petersburg cold weather seems to be too much to bear for Advocaat and his wife. Most importantly, the working relationship between the Dutchman and Zenit has recently worsened due to the fact that no top quality players were signed by the club officials despite Advocaat's request to do so. It really seems that Advocaat (affectionately nicknamed "Little General") will leave Russia soon

http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=23267

Dutch media reporting he wants to leave in November.

Guest WashyGeordie

What about Roy Keane

From Setanta

Won't happen though.

So would I, so i don't have to hear another chorus of "Keano, he wanks his dog..." :tickedoff:

Yes, I read the same in the morning papers over here in Austria as well. If we could get him it would be immense. Top class manager!

http://sport.orf.at/ticker/303553.html

Basically it says Advocaat wants to leave Zenit - either back to Holland or to England

Source or Link?

Latest rumours from Russia are suggesting that Ducth coach Dick Advocaat could leave Zenit St.Petersburg at the end of 2008. Advocaat is apparently sought after by Liverpool and Middlesbrough. Moreover, the harsh St.Petersburg cold weather seems to be too much to bear for Advocaat and his wife. Most importantly, the working relationship between the Dutchman and Zenit has recently worsened due to the fact that no top quality players were signed by the club officials despite Advocaat's request to do so. It really seems that Advocaat (affectionately nicknamed "Little General") will leave Russia soon

Yes, I read the same in the morning papers over here in Austria as well. If we could get him it would be immense. Top class manager!

http://sport.orf.at/ticker/303553.html

Basically it says Advocaat wants to leave Zenit - either back to Holland or to England

Source or Link?

Mind he doesn't like attacking.

Guest MrSundlofer

What about Roy Keane

From Setanta

Keanes long-term future with The Black Cats still has an element of doubt surrounding it as the former Manchester United midfielder is yet to sign a new contract with his current deal expiring at the end of the current campaign.

Won't happen though.

So would I, so i don't have to hear another chorus of "Keano, he wanks his dog..." :tickedoff:

Keane is probably the manager I disklikes most. Would never want him here.

Hes done a good job no denying that, but part of me thinks that hes made some gaffs. I dont see him staying much longer theres signs of him losing patience.

What about Roy Keane

From Setanta

Keanes long-term future with The Black Cats still has an element of doubt surrounding it as the former Manchester United midfielder is yet to sign a new contract with his current deal expiring at the end of the current campaign.

Won't happen though.

Keane is probably the manager I disklikes most. Would never want him here.

People think Shearer isn't cut out for the job but they'd take Keane?  :kasper:

Source or Link?

Yes please would have him  O0

Source or Link?

Yes please would have him  O0

Brilliant manager. His tactics for us at WC 2006 made him look like the Dutch Sam Allardyce though. Granted, that may be more down to the lack of quality in the South Korean NT than his own tactical preferences. Haven't seen much of how his Zenit teams play.