Keegans List: Henry, Ronaldinho & Lampard?!

KaKa

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Newcastle are ready to fight Keegan all the way, however, with a source close to the board pouring scorn on his managerial ability, especially his lack of knowledge of emerging players and the transfer market. It was claimed that Keegan was only interested in signing world-class players, presenting the board with a wish list of signings valued at more than £200 million, including Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry and Frank Lampard.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4678988.ece

So, if this is true. What the hell should the owner and board have done then?

Everyone has so far assumed that Keegan wasn't making unrealistic demands as far as targets go, well it turns out this might not have been the case, which is what I suspected to be honest.

The owner clearly wanted a team of younger emerging players, and said this from the outset. What options did he have if Keegan then came in and started asking for these types?

Discuss.

This must have been going on for ages it look slike, as we all remember the Henry quotes! I am shocked they didn't part ways much earlier as they clearly should have. It's no wonder we had been linked with Marcelino so far back then, as the club was probably already making contingency plans.

Absolute madness from both sides.

It looks like the club have employed Lord Haw Haw and are desperately trying to save face by discrediting King Kev.

Consider the sly moves they have made recently.

Sat on Milners transfer request for weeks before announcing it the day before selling him. Making him unpopular in fans eyes.

Releasing details of Owens new contract offer the day before making him available for transfer with the ready made excuse of "Well, he didn't snap our hands off straight away so we thought he must want to leave."

Those two examples have the slimy little cunt Wise's fingerprints all over them for me.

Newcastle are ready to fight Keegan all the way, however, with a source close to the board pouring scorn on his managerial ability, especially his lack of knowledge of emerging players and the transfer market. It was claimed that Keegan was only interested in signing world-class players, presenting the board with a wish list of signings valued at more than £200 million, including Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry and Frank Lampard.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4678988.ece

Saying he had a wish list valued at £200m including Henry, Ronaldinho and Lampard says nothing really. There could be 100 players on that wishlist, so the £200m argument goes straight out the window. It's not like he was saying we must spend £200m, it's just that the total value of his wishlist was £200m.

Also, Henry, Ronaldinho and Lampard are only 3 names. Lampard's future has been the subject of speculation all summer, Henry has moved to Barca and not done as well as expected and Ronaldinho has been linked with a number of clubs of late. It's not that far fetched that we'd be in for those kind of players when we've got a billionaire chairman.

Guest elbee909

They probably asked him for a no-holds-barred, ideal kind of list of players if money were no object.  And wouldn't surprise me if they're now using that list as 'proof' of unrealistic expectations when it's actually what they asked him for.  This sort of thing happens a lot.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

They probably asked him for a no-holds-barred, ideal kind of list of players if money were no object.  And wouldn't surprise me if they're now using that list as 'proof' of unrealistic expectations when it's actually what they asked him for.  This sort of thing happens a lot.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

My theory is they switched his real list with a doctored one they prepared himself to make him look stupid. It might sound a bit conspiracy theory but hey, if we're throwing around baseless speculation why not :)

Someone please enlighten me, in the midst of all these facts... has the whole "David Beckham, Ronaldinho, Frank Lampard and Thierry Henry" thing turned from rumour to fact now?

If KK did indeed demand that with a straight face, even after publicly laughing off our ability to attract players of such calibre, he needs to go spend some time alone in some woods.

I always laughed at that ridiculous piece of information, it's something that'd be printed in Daily Sport. But it reared its head once again. From .com:

The Sunday Times are running the following quotes from an un-named NUFC club director about you-know-who:

"Right from the start, at his (Keegan's) interview for the job, it was made perfectly clear to him the way the club wanted the job done. There was not going to be a Chelsea scenario, with Newcastle paying big money and massive wages for established stars.

“The club was going to be run like Arsenal, and the emphasis would be on scouring the world for the best emerging young talent, like Arsène Wenger has done with Nicolas Anelka, Patrick Vieira, Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Adebayor. We talked of building the club up over the next three to five years. Kevin sat there, agreed and took the job on those terms.

(Told in the summer that he had a budget of £12m*, Keegan proposed signing David Beckham, Ronaldinho, Frank Lampard and Thierry Henry)

“It was so bizarre that you had to wonder if he was doing it on purpose, to try to get sacked. There was no getting through to him. What he wanted would have cost the club £200m in transfer fees and wages, and he had been told over and over again that he had around £12m to spend.

"It is common knowledge that we have been looking for a centre-half. Kevin’s suggestions were Jonathan Woodgate, Sami Hyypia and Richard Dunne. Where’s the residual value in them?

“On the James Milner issue, the truth is that Kevin sat in on a meeting where the sale was discussed. Kevin reckoned James was worth £7m-£8m, and the plan was to use that cash to buy Sebastian Schweinsteiger.

Tony Jimenez did the negotiations with Villa and managed to agree a fee of £12m with them, which was brilliant. Everyone thought it was too good to turn down, so the deal was done. Unfortunately, Schweinsteiger then said he wouldn’t come.

“The (Owen) situation is clear. We didn’t try to sell Michael or speak to any club about him. On the contrary, we have made him a good offer to stay. It is an extended and improved contract, the richest ever offered to any Newcastle player. He has sent a letter back, saying he appreciates the offer, and talks are ongoing.”

*Presumably with the sales of Milner, Rozehnal, Emre, Faye added, the pot was actually £30m. Fees for Gutierrez and Bassong are still to be confirmed but the £2.5m spent on Guthrie and £9.1m on Coloccini still leaves a massive amount that didn't get invested on squad strengthening before September 1st.

NB: Mods, feel free to merge/chop this thread if the question's already been discussed at length elsewhere. Just point me in the right direction. Can't be arsed to troll through all the blame-threads.

"I want the best -  Lampard, Henry, Ronaldinho, Beckham and Guthrie"

something strike you as odd about that?

anyway it's just a headline really, the quotes go on to say he said he'd talked to lampard's agent, and had also talked to thierry henry. so it may well be that he was looking for one *wow* signing and had looked into one of those players, rather than sitting down and demanding all of them and no one else.

that's if it is true at all. it is clear the club are engaged in a full scale smear campaign so right now i'd take anything coming out of their camp with a gigantic pinch of salt.

Guest optimistic nit

Too right, keegan also said he wanted prooven premierleague players and Rohnaldino has never played in england.

Too right, keegan also said he wanted prooven premierleague players and Rohnaldino has never played in england.

:lol:

anyway it's just a headline really, the quotes go on to say he said he'd talked to lampard's agent, and had also talked to thierry henry. so it may well be that he was looking for one *wow* signing and had looked into one of those players, rather than sitting down and demanding all of them and no one else.

Exactly. He was told (like us) that no price was too high, he said this when he took over. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he enquired about those players.

But look at a player like Richard Dunne - we made a profit on this transfer window, we could easily have said on deadline day "Right Kev, we want to sign this lad Xisco, going to be class, we're also going to get Dunne from City £6m, Warnock from Blackburn £5m and a replacement for Milner (let's say Malouda for the sake of argument since the German didn't fancy it). You happy with that?" but no. Too much money apparently.

The "team" have seemed completely shut on the idea of compromise - if there were two lists, some players from one list, some from the other, that's the way it should have worked. Keegan's been more than open to it, praising Colo and Jonas to the heavens through the summer but being ignored on what he wants other than Guthrie because he cost peanuts.

As I also said in the other thread, Jonas is 25, Colo 26, Gonzalez a 26 year old loanee... if they're wanting young players to develop, they've not exactly made a very good job of it. Not so much about development as resale - Jonas is probably worth £10m already. Tidy profit, get in, that'll force us up the league.

Exactly. He was told (like us) that no price was too high, he said this when he took over. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he enquired about those players.

But look at a player like Richard Dunne - we made a profit on this transfer window, we could easily have said on deadline day "Right Kev, we want to sign this lad Xisco, going to be class, we're also going to get Dunne from City £6m, Warnock from Blackburn £5m and a replacement for Milner (let's say Malouda for the sake of argument since the German didn't fancy it). You happy with that?" but no. Too much money apparently.

The "team" have seemed completely shut on the idea of compromise - if there were two lists, some players from one list, some from the other, that's the way it should have worked. Keegan's been more than open to it, praising Colo and Jonas to the heavens through the summer but being ignored on what he wants other than Guthrie because he cost peanuts.

As I also said in the other thread, Jonas is 25, Colo 26, Gonzalez a 26 year old loanee... if they're wanting young players to develop, they've not exactly made a very good job of it. Not so much about development as resale - Jonas is probably worth £10m already. Tidy profit, get in, that'll force us up the league.

:thup:

makes you wonder how long it will be til Jonas's profit margin becomes more important than his performances on the pitch.

Guest Heneage

I really find it hard to believe two of Keegans targets would be two of Barcelonas Mainstays, and Chelseas best midfielder.

Yeah. It's not like keegan to aim for the stars is it?  ;)

Yes but its the ability to get them, was more my point.

What a crazy wishlist who the fuck does this Keegan bloke think he is, Ronaldinho was in talks Man City pre-Arab owner, Barcelona were dumping star names this summer & Frank was in the last year of his contract. Do I think any of them would of come? Not really but I don't think it is sign of madman as the PR machine at SJP make out.

So, if this is true. What the hell should the owner and board have done then?

Everyone has so far assumed that Keegan wasn't making unrealistic demands as far as targets go, well it turns out this might not have been the case, which is what I suspected to be honest.

The owner clearly wanted a team of younger emerging players, and said this from the outset. What options did he have if Keegan then came in and started asking for these types?

Discuss.

This must have been going on for ages it look slike, as we all remember the Henry quotes! I am shocked they didn't part ways much earlier as they clearly should have. It's no wonder we had been linked with Marcelino so far back then, as the club was probably already making contingency plans.

Absolute madness from both sides.

"The nonsensical claims being made from “club insiders” or “sources close to directors” that Kevin Keegan wanted the club to buy Ronaldo, Frank Lampard, Thierry Henry etc are simply laughable but also offensive. Who will put their names to these accusations? Who will stand up and speak the words against Kevin Keegan rather than making sly calls to journalists and anoymously planting stories in a tawdry exercise of black propaganda from the Dr. Goebbels of Barrack Road.

It was little surprise that it was Rob Beasley of the News of the World who was leading with this story in the Sunday newspapers. You will remember Beasley was the journalist who sat in the director’s box at SJP last season next to Ashley. You can fill in your own gaps." TF

Yet we sell Jimmy Milner & class it as good deal & not that we have sold an emerging player. Jonas is 25 & Colo is 26 hardly emerging players, also Woodgate who we bid for is also not an emerging player. The loan player, who I am guessing our great network knew about but for some reason it doesn't look like we challenged Valencia to sign him as perm transfer is 26.

Is the emerging talent Ranger, Bassong, Gutherie & Xisco? If so I guess we may need a 10 year plan rather than rolling 5 year plan.