Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

He's a 26 year old winger who can't cross, to say good management will correct this problem is being a tad optermistic

You never stop learning though. Shearer was older when he wasn't scoring goals and needed to be coached by Robson, and obviously he's more of a player than Jonas is. Based on that, and a whole host of other players who have been rejuvinated while in the twilight of their career, I dont think its optimistic at all. He delivers (no pun intended) when he's playing for Argentina because he plays in a different way.

Shearer just needed the team to play to his strengths, and abandon the target man role somewhat. Jonas actually needs to learn how to kick a football at 26.

Abandon it? I would say as Shearer's career went on due to him having to stick more centrally he ended up becoming more of a target man.

I'd try him at fullback, sounds mental but he has a good work rate.

Think he plays wing-back for Argentina or has on occassion.

Would he not throw himself all over when we need someone solid like enrique to play full back.

He was so threatening at times, skinning their right back on a number of occasions but his final product comes to nothing almost everytime.

He's missing a good coach that's for sure. I think a good manager could make him a very dangerous player.

I would imagine when he releases the ball playing for Argentina a much higher percentage will be seized upon by a teamate, running and buzzing all over the place.

Remember when he sends a ball over for us there may only be a statuesque single presence out of position and outnumbered by defenders anyway.

Also remember that he only has to miskick once and it will be shouted about from the rooftops so that you all get on message that this man cant pass.

Maybe, play him off Caroll and ask him to hold the ball once Caroll has knocked it down, or may continue with the ball at his feet and drive into the box drawing fouls left right and centre.

Oh fck it i dont know what to do with him.

He does remind me of a high energy utility player with no stand out skills.

I'd say his strengths are that he's quick, has lots of energy, has the ability to go past people with a bit of fancy footwork and doesn't give up on the ball.  Of course we all know his weaknesses but I still believe that in the right role and with better people receiving the ball from him he can be a very effective player.

At worst he gives us an outlet for the ball and stretches the opposition a bit.

I'm pretty sure a fair share members on this board can cross better than Jonas, he is bloody awful at crossing.

In all honesty though, I think someone mentioned a decent idea of playing him off of Carroll to just use his dribbling and pace and running at defenders which will make them take a step or two back.  He wouldn't need to cross the ball, and I've seen some pretty beautiful through-balls behind the defense last season he made, ex: to Owen with the outside of his boot that Owen ACTUALLY converted.

I'd say his strengths are that he's quick, has lots of energy, has the ability to go past people with a bit of fancy footwork and doesn't give up on the ball.  Of course we all know his weaknesses but I still believe that in the right role and with better people receiving the ball from him he can be a very effective player.

At worst he gives us an outlet for the ball and stretches the opposition a bit.

At worst he's a lot better than most wingers in this division. While he's extremely frustrating it's easy to forget we are in the Championship and not many teams will fancy playing against him much.

Best I've seen him play was man u away under Keggler.  Thought we had struck GOLD.

yeah that was amazing.

Still plays like that (at about 80%) only now we and everyone else knows those penetrating runs lead to nothing due to his inability to cross, pass or shoot.

The guy can pass he just cant cross well, hes decent enough at threading a ball through hes done it several times. Which is why he should cut inside more and not run along the wing every single time. But for some reason that idea isnt one he goes for...probably lack of movement from the fowards.

Best I've seen him play was man u away under Keggler.  Thought we had struck GOLD.

He was probably the key. I remember him saying how he could be as big a Ginola at Newcastle. He was bigging up both Jonas and Colo at that point. There was a spark and excitment started by Keegan that most likely brought out the best in them.

We've not had a manager since that has instilled such confidence into the players. I don't want keegan back, but you can't deny his feel good factor and belief in players.

Not sure if this has been posted or not, apologies if so:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5483563,00.html

I read that earlier and I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Sky Sports I don't often trust since they seem to throw 100 stories out there in the hope 1 is real.

If those are genuine quotes then I'm still not whether I'd like to get good money in for him or not.

If we're going to carry on with no signings then I hope we keep him.

He was probably the key. I remember him saying how he could be as big a Ginola at Newcastle. He was bigging up both Jonas and Colo at that point. There was a spark and excitment started by Keegan that most likely brought out the best in them.

We've not had a manager since that has instilled such confidence into the players. I don't want keegan back, but you can't deny his feel good factor and belief in players.

Aye, he always makes the players feel 10 foot tall.

Very true, it all goes back to how well and mighty we were playing under Keegan and how it all fell apart when he walked out. 

Jonas looks like he doesn't really care anymore, and the article posted above shows just that. He'll be gone, Duff will be moved to the left wing and Lua-Lua will take up the right if the Jonas move goes through.

Another one bites the dust really, the quality and potential and promise we had just nearly a year ago - man have times really changed.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Argentinian first choice international with 4 yrs left on his contract. I would want 8-10 mil for him. If we got that I would quite happily say bye bye

Argentinian first choice international with 4 yrs left on his contract. I would want 8-10 mil for him. If we got that I would quite happily say bye bye

Cant see us getting that for him like.