Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

I was right about Jose when all and sundry were slagging him off, i'll be right on this too. Mark my words.

When we all and sundry slagging him off? He's always been popular on this board

Not true, Enrique was getting slated by the majority of this board (even more of the 'regular' fans) up until the last quarter of last season, completely underrated by most

I was right about Jose when all and sundry were slagging him off, i'll be right on this too. Mark my words.

Not true, Enrique was getting slated by the majority of this board (even more of the 'regular' fans) up until the last quarter of last season, completely underrated by most

Was he?

Jonas likely going to Pompey, according to this:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5493457,00.html

why on earth would he join pompy tho, i know he would be "in the premiership" but they look a good bet to get relegated this season  so i think he should either stay or go wait for someone else

All he has to do is play decently this season, get called up to the world cup squad, and move.

If he could get capped while playing for Newcastle last season, surely he can get capped playing for Pompey.

Guest float one in

HIs attitude stank for large parts of the match on Saturday. The support he gave to his teammates when they needed an option to pass to was terrible - the number of times he had acres to run into when the likes of Enrique and SMith were on the ball, and he just stood where he was, not in any posiiton to receive, was terrible. Either he was hiding or just genuinely couldn't be bothered.

I remember him sprinting a good 3/4 of the lenght of the pitch to track back and tackle on of their players, which was great to see, but that was after he himself had lost the ball in a promising position. As last season went on we saw that at best he'll be a good defensive winger or wing back, someone who will work back and keep the ball but not offer any sort of goal threat. A bit like Kuyt at Liverpool probably, but a bit more unpredictable and individualistic, but without the handful of goals and assists Kuyt gets.

We just need the transfer window to end and him still be here. He'll know then that if he's going to carry on in the Argie squad, he'll have to knuckle the fuck down and get on with it. And a fully fit, fully up for it Jonas will be absolutely bonzer in this league.

We just need the transfer window to end and him still be here. He'll know then that if he's going to carry on in the Argie squad, he'll have to knuckle the fuck down and get on with it. And a fully fit, fully up for it Jonas will be absolutely bonzer in this league.

Matt? 'Bonzer'?

Fucking hell  :lol:

Matt? 'Bonzer'?

Crikey :lol:

FYP.

HIs attitude stank for large parts of the match on Saturday. The support he gave to his teammates when they needed an option to pass to was terrible - the number of times he had acres to run into when the likes of Enrique and SMith were on the ball, and he just stood where he was, not in any posiiton to receive, was terrible. Either he was hiding or just genuinely couldn't be bothered.

I remember him sprinting a good 3/4 of the lenght of the pitch to track back and tackle on of their players, which was great to see, but that was after he himself had lost the ball in a promising position. As last season went on we saw that at best he'll be a good defensive winger or wing back, someone who will work back and keep the ball but not offer any sort of goal threat. A bit like Kuyt at Liverpool probably, but a bit more unpredictable and individualistic, but without the handful of goals and assists Kuyt gets.

I don't really see this terrible attitude that some people mention. Yes he sometimes has a quiet secod half but he tends to run his socks off in the first 45. You could accuse him of wasting energy maybe or whingeing when he gets taken out, but don't think that's a terrible indictment on his attitude.

He looked like he couldn't give a shit towards the end of last season. I thought his work ethic's been really good in the last two games though... baring in mind i've only seen the first 45 minutes on both occassions. But from what i've seen, he looks reasonably up for it. You could tell he was really frustrated with himself when he had those two chances infront of goal aswell.

I think Jonas is one of the players that deserves quite a bit slack.  He signed for a club that was managed by Keegan and was supposed to be top half of the Premiership with a chance to push for Europe.  Instead, Keegan bolted and the club went on a season-long spiral into relegation.  I don't know how any player could keep his confidence and how, given the clusterfuck of a season, we can begin to judge any player adequately.

That being said, in the first game, I thought Jonas was abysmal.  At the start he seemed more interested in drawing fouls than anything else and when he didn't get them he went into a shell.  Against Reading, I thought he played much more confidently (as did the team) and I was really hoping he'd finish on thast looooong through ball from Nolan earlier in the game.  I think he showed a little lack of composure on that play but as he continues to make runs  (and he made a few more as the game went on) he'll find the back of the net.  Overall I thought the team played confidently and I hope the takeover can be finished quickly so the players can take the club forward.  A good run of games and I think the club can start to run away and hide for top spot and I think Jonas is an integral part of that.  There just aren't too many Championship defenders who can handle him.  He and Jose Enrique can be devestating combo on the left side in the Championship.  And I still say that if we can find a creative CM Jonas could be even better.

We really should be looking at keeping him, don't care what most people say, i think he is a class act and so far has looked on a different level to both teams we've played. Just lacks the final ball, but with good managment that will come. Letting the current first choice Argentine left winger go would be a dissaster of a move.

Guest Heneage

Otter was a strong detractor.

I think Jonas is one of the players that deserves quite a bit slack.  He signed for a club that was managed by Keegan and was supposed to be top half of the Premiership with a chance to push for Europe.  Instead, Keegan bolted and the club went on a season-long spiral into relegation.  I don't know how any player could keep his confidence and how, given the clusterfuck of a season, we can begin to judge any player adequately.

That being said, in the first game, I thought Jonas was abysmal.  At the start he seemed more interested in drawing fouls than anything else and when he didn't get them he went into a shell.  Against Reading, I thought he played much more confidently (as did the team) and I was really hoping he'd finish on thast looooong through ball from Nolan earlier in the game.  I think he showed a little lack of composure on that play but as he continues to make runs  (and he made a few more as the game went on) he'll find the back of the net.  Overall I thought the team played confidently and I hope the takeover can be finished quickly so the players can take the club forward.  A good run of games and I think the club can start to run away and hide for top spot and I think Jonas is an integral part of that.  There just aren't too many Championship defenders who can handle him.  He and Jose Enrique can be devestating combo on the left side in the Championship.  And I still say that if we can find a creative CM Jonas could be even better.

Completely agree, if we were Man Utd we could criticise Jonas but for a team of our current standard he's a very very useful player. And his relationship with Enrique seems to be brilliant.

Expecting to see Enrique and Jonas to both depart, but I really hope we can hold onto them somehow.

I just watched that video of him from the first game of last season Vs Manure.

f*** me, he looked like a world beater.  Confidence player for sure.

Every player (pretty much) is transformed when they're confident... the turmoil at the club is a major reason that I'm prepared to give Jonas some slack at the moment.

The performance of almost every player went up by about 50% against Reading when they got the confidence up. Should serve us well in the coming games.

I just watched that video of him from the first game of last season Vs Manure.

f*** me, he looked like a world beater.  Confidence player for sure.

Every player (pretty much) is transformed when they're confident... the turmoil at the club is a major reason that I'm prepared to give Jonas some slack at the moment.

The performance of almost every player went up by about 50% against Reading when they got the confidence up. Should serve us well in the coming games.

Exactly he took what felt like his first shot since being here during that period of the game!

If we manage to play like that again he might even cross the ball.