Danny Guthrie breaks Craig Fagan's leg

Guest BooBoo

Hull's Fagan in justice call after Newcastle bad-boy Guthrie avoids lengthy ban for horror challenge

Danny Guthrie, who has escaped further punishment from the FA for the challenge that broke Craig Fagan’s leg, has still to apologise in person for the tackle.

The FA ruled they could not add to Guthrie’s three-game ban for violent conduct, despite citing the incident that saw Ben Thatcher suspended for eight games after knocking out Pedro Mendez two years ago.

Fagan will not play for another three months and he revealed: 'He's come out and said he wants to speak to me, but he sent me a text message on Monday night saying he’s disappointed with what's happened.

'In my eyes, that text message doesn't do the justice of what a phone call does. I'm not saying that he hasn't tried to apologise, but maybe it could be different.'

The Football Association had been expected to extend Newcastle midfielder Guthrie’s ban, but a statement said: 'Every sending off carries an automatic sanction under the current regulations. The FA doesn't have the power to extend automatic suspensions.

'The only circumstances in which we could take any further action would be to issue an additional charge against a player. This occurs only in exceptional cases, such as Ben Thatcher's challenge on Mendes in 2006.'

Fagan, in his second spell in the top-flight, added: 'I was starting to feel comfortable in the Premier League for the first time. I never really had that at Derby.

'I've been enjoying it all season. Everything was feeling good and falling into place. I felt I was starting to show what I can do. As so often happens in football though, when you're doing well, something like this can come along and spoil things.

'I took one look at the fixture list and I was devastated. We've got games against Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham that I'll miss. Those are the games you're desperate to play in.

'I'm devastated that I'll be missing the games, but I've got to concentrate on getting back as quickly as possible.'

The 21-year-old was dismissed in stoppage time during the Magpies' 2-1 home defeat on Saturday after taking a wild swing at Fagan, who was left with a fractured left leg.

The Football Association confirmed that it can take no further action on top of a mandatory three-match suspension for the red card.

A spokesman said: 'Every sending off carries an automatic sanction under the current regulations.

'The FA doesn't have the power to extend automatic suspensions. The only circumstances in which we could take any further action would be to issue an additional charge against a player.

'This occurs only in exceptional cases, such as Ben Thatcher's challenge on Pedro Mendes in 2006.'

However, the FA spokesman also confirmed that an ongoing review of their

disciplinary procedures could see a sliding scale introduced to increase punishments for serious offences.

He said: 'We are currently reviewing disciplinary procedures with a view to potential changes for next season and a sliding scale for red-card offences is one of the options under consideration.'

Thatcher, then at Manchester City, was handed an eight-match FA ban with another 15 games suspended for two years in 2006 after a challenge which left Portsmouth's Mendes concussed and requiring neurological tests.

Guthrie will miss the managerless Magpies' Barclays Premier League clashes with West Ham and Blackburn, and Tottenham's Carling Cup visit to St James' Park.

Today's news will come as a relief to beleaguered caretaker boss Chris Hughton, who may be able to welcome back Obafemi Martins and Damien Duff for Saturday's trip to Upton Park.

But he will still be without the banned Joey Barton and the injured Mark Viduka, Jonas Gutierrez, Habib Beye, Alan Smith, Jose Enrique and Andy Carroll.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1056934/Fagan-justice-bad-boy-Guthrie-avoids-lengthy-ban-horror-challenge.html

Guest SaneSoul

Sorry but did I miss something in the Hull game? Who is giving head to Danny Guthrie?

http://img.skysports.com/08/09/800x600/Danny-Guthrie-woe-Newcastle-v-Hull_1194542.jpg

Sorry but did I miss something in the Hull game? Who is giving head to Danny Guthrie?

http://img.skysports.com/08/09/800x600/Danny-Guthrie-woe-Newcastle-v-Hull_1194542.jpg

im not sure if anyone is tbh. I think he may have just missed a chance on goal, so he is clutching his hands on top of his head to show his dissapointment and frustration at not putting Newcastle United in front against a team they should really be beating. His eyes are closed as maybe this shows he cant bear to look at the crowd. His mouth is open as he lets out his frustration in a kind of "arghghr" noise.

I might be wrong though. Some bird might have sneaked on the pitch and started sucking him off.

Guest guinness_fiend

im not sure if anyone is tbh. I think he may have just missed a chance on goal, so he is clutching his hands on top of his head to show his dissapointment and frustration at not putting Newcastle United in front against a team they should really be beating. His eyes are closed as maybe this shows he cant bear to look at the crowd. His mouth is open as he lets out his frustration in a kind of "arghghr" noise.

I might be wrong though. Some bird might have sneaked on the pitch and started sucking him off.

http://laser2.legs-world.co.uk/images/owned-tank.jpg

Just to get things in perspective, due to his stupidity Guthrie will be missing the next three matches when we are already short of nubers in midfield.

I think it's some of the fans posting on this thread tbh.

Guest optimistic nit

wow, imagine a world where that post is funny. its a scary thought ;)

na, i was being serious. I genuinely believe thats what happened.

well you're wrong, it's the moment after the red card is shown

well you're wrong, it's the moment after the red card is shown

ah drats, all that work for nothing.

I care as much about Guthrie breaking an opponents leg as fans of other teams care when their player puts a Newcastle player out for months.

ie - NOT ONE EFFING BIT.

I care as much about Guthrie breaking an opponents leg as fans of other teams care when their player puts a Newcastle player out for months.

ie - NOT ONE EFFING BIT.

wat a nice bloke you are

I'll lose not one wink of sleep over your opinion chuckles.

ie - NOT ONE EFFING BIT.

wat a nice bloke you are

I'll lose not one wink of sleep over your opinion chuckles.

nar i get ure point. cant really cry over another clubs injury, part and parcel of the game. Was a cynical challenge but it happens

nar i get ure point. cant really cry over another clubs injury, part and parcel of the game. Was a cynical challenge but it happens

That on the other hand is an intelligent comment.

Look back on the sneers and sniggers we get from other clubs when their players wallop ours.

Its a tough world, and all things balance out - except ****** trophies, that is.