So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

In fairness to Fat Mike, I'm thankful he didn't put us through any of this shite before he bought the club and he appeared to just do the fucking deal without leading anybody on. All of these media leaks and stories are a load of old bollocks and aren't done in the interests of the support at all, more for personal gains.

As suspicious as people have grown of him since things went sour, I still struggle to believe that he didn't have the best of intentions when he took over the place and his undoing was closely linked to my opening sentence. He was undone by the mess the club was in (edit) and his lack of knowledge/backing in this area, general naivety basically.

That guy's pretty much a pauper compared to Ashley, so if people weren't happy with what he was putting in, then they're in for a big disappointment as he couldn't even afford to match that even if he wanted to.

Means nothing, firstly he's obviously not trying to buy the club on his own.  Secondly Ashley had/has billions yet how much was spent on players?, nowt..  If there's anything we all should have learned from his time here its that the amount of money the owner has isn't what's really important if he's unwilling to spend it.  A millionaire who's willing to invest his money is far better then a billionaire who isn't.

That guy's pretty much a pauper compared to Ashley, so if people weren't happy with what he was putting in, then they're in for a big disappointment as he couldn't even afford to match that even if he wanted to.

Means nothing, firstly he's obviously not trying to buy the club on his own.  Secondly Ashley had/has billions yet how much was spent on players?, nowt..  If there's anything we all should have learned from his time here its that the amount of money the owner has isn't what's really important if he's unwilling to spend it.  A millionaire who's willing to invest his money is far better then a billionaire who isn't.

Obviously exceptions are to be made when the entirety of his personal fortune would barely fund two years worth of transfers.

Obviously exceptions are to be made when the entirety of his personal fortune would barely fund two years worth of transfers.

Obviously, but like I said he's not trying to buy the club himself.  Though to be honest even if he spend half his money on players he'd still have spent £20 million more then Ashley :)

Obviously, but like I said he's not trying to buy the club himself.  Though to be honest even if he spend half his money on players he'd still have spent £20 million more then Ashley :)

If he gets to be termed the "head" of the consortium with 40m in his pocket, I doubt the people he's running with are swimming in money either.

I know it's a bit more complicated than that, but this really doesn't seem like a good proposition.

Didn't Ashley put £9 million of his own money in under Allardyce?

Guest Howaythetoon

He can fuck off, no *darkies out wor club.

*Assuming he's dark skinned.

Didn't Ashley put £9 million of his own money in under Allardyce?

I count £6.5 million, but only £3.5 million total since he arrived.  I'll be generous to him and actually say that was his £3.5 million which makes it £16.5 million more the pauper would have spent in my little hypothetical.

If he gets to be termed the "head" of the consortium with 40m in his pocket, I doubt the people he's running with are swimming in money either.

I know it's a bit more complicated than that, but this really doesn't seem like a good proposition.

Wasn't Quinn termed the head of the Sunderland consortium?, how much money does he have?  I'm not exactly excited by the prospect either though to be honest.

how rich was shepherd? he had no problem making money available for transfers

He did, on occasion...

The Summer of 03 for one.

To be fair, johnny, Shepherd spent our future income by giving money to Souness. If we hadn't been bought out by Ashley, I doubt that we'd have spent much in the past couple of seasons (yes, I know we haven't spent anything so it makes no difference anyway). Of course, this is just conjecture but we took a risk with Souness which didn't pan out. Imo, the past season or so would have panned out similarly to how it's gone if Shepherd had stayed (excluding the KK appointment...).

Shepherd ran the club well until '04. We had money to spend because our revenue was relatively high. The club paid for its own transfers and still gave out dividends. Shepherd didn't dress it up in nice, technical language like Ashley's done but that's what it was. It worked very well too, which is a credit to Shepherd. You run a business well, you get a piece of the profits. No one's complaining about this part. However, we then suffered from not qualifying for the CL and then took a risk by giving Souness money to get us back into the CL. Because that didn't work out, where would the money have come from? We had spent it all, and would have had to wait a few seasons until we could get back onto a level-footing financially, and this is pretty much what we're doing now. Shepherd's pretty lucky, imo, that his legacy hasn't been totally tainted by what would have happened had he stayed. This is not to say that Ashley hasn't been a disappointment, but I think our managers would have gotten the same 'backing' that Ashley's given so far, if Shepherd had stayed. Again, I repeat, this is conjecture but I believe it's backed up with some of the soundbites regarding our finances and the financial reports also support this view.

Ashley's still been a disappointment because he's a billionaire and fair or not, we expected him to put some of his own money into the club (which would have been a marked difference from the way the club's been run for the past 20 years...). Because he didn't do that and fucked up his managerial appointments, he's alienated a lot of the support that he had because he was a replacement for Shepherd. I add here that we expected more because he's a billionaire - and this is different than saying 'anyone would be better than Shepherd'. Only some were/would be (in terms of expectations) and Ashley was one of them.

But, I still think that we would be a similar position if Shepherd had stayed and I'd be interested to hear any counter-arguments. What's the most reasonable scenario if Ashley hadn't bought out the club? Shepherd had just hired Allardyce and we had just finished 14th (?). What would have happened?

how rich was shepherd? he had no problem making money available for transfers

He did, on occasion...

The Summer of 03 for one.

To be fair, johnny, Shepherd spent our future income by giving money to Souness. If we hadn't been bought out by Ashley, I doubt that we'd have spent much in the past couple of seasons (yes, I know we haven't spent anything so it makes no difference anyway). Of course, this is just conjecture but we took a risk with Souness which didn't pan out. Imo, the past season or so would have panned out similarly to how it's gone if Shepherd had stayed (excluding the KK appointment...).

Shepherd ran the club well until '04. We had money to spend because our revenue was relatively high. The club paid for its own transfers and still gave out dividends. Shepherd didn't dress it up in nice, technical language like Ashley's done but that's what it was. It worked very well too, which is a credit to Shepherd. You run a business well, you get a piece of the profits. No one's complaining about this part. However, we then suffered from not qualifying for the CL and then took a risk by giving Souness money to get us back into the CL. Because that didn't work out, where would the money have come from? We had spent it all, and would have had to wait a few seasons until we could get back onto a level-footing financially, and this is pretty much what we're doing now. Shepherd's pretty lucky, imo, that his legacy hasn't been totally tainted by what would have happened had he stayed. This is not to say that Ashley hasn't been a disappointment, but I think our managers would have gotten the same 'backing' that Ashley's given so far, if Shepherd had stayed. Again, I repeat, this is conjecture but I believe it's backed up with some of the soundbites regarding our finances and the financial reports also support this view.

Ashley's still been a disappointment because he's a billionaire and fair or not, we expected him to put some of his own money into the club (which would have been a marked difference from the way the club's been run for the past 20 years...). Because he didn't do that and fucked up his managerial appointments, he's alienated a lot of the support that he had purely because he was a replacement for Shepherd.

But, I still think that we would be a similar position if Shepherd had stayed and I'd be interested to hear any counter-arguments. What's the most reasonable scenario if Ashley hadn't bought out the club? Shepherd had just hired Allardyce and we had just finished 14th (?). What would have happened?

i always thought the appointment of SA was essentially a tacit statement of the financial situation - allardyce was known as the man to operate on a budget, he'd have been given a slight increase in spend compared to what he got at bolton but i think the fact is he'd have been operating a tight ship at NUFC, until the books balanced a little at least

I'll do it.

(massive winding argument that somehow becomes a pyramid about semantics of the word shit in regards to Kieron Dyer on page...7. Add a few new entries to the house of the banned and catmag quoting dozens of posts with the word cunt in them. Then you have old board/new board argument.)

Yes. That would be cool as hell.

:pow:

I'm sorry man, I don't know enough about Shepherd to add anything of note.

If Sam had stayed, I really think we would have been relegated. As subpar as we seem now, I think we'd score 3 vs Derby home and away. The game against Wigan should be required viewing for any club looking to hire Sam Allardyce.

Different link if you don't want to register:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c9ab7434-cc0e-11dd-9c43-000077b07658,Authorised=true.html?nclick_check=1

From the article

“Basically, I’d take £250m,” he said. He paid £134m for the club last year and has since spent £110m to reduce debt.

But he signalled that he was in no hurry to leave the club and could stay as owner if there was an improvement in his difficult relationship with the fans. “I love Joe Kinnear [the current manager]. You know, even if I have to watch it on Sky Sports at home and send the kids out, have the doors locked and have the telly on full blast I still love it jumping up and down at the telly screaming.”