Newcastle United Supporters Club

peasepud
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oh and I'm not saying his views represent TF before anyone starts, as with any mag they allow a range of opinion from their writers, and this fella just happens to be fairly hardcore I guess ("Best of luck to KK and the legal action between himself and Ashley." etc).

Isn't the bit you've quoted an editorial from the bloke who effectively runs TF?

Oh and I'm not saying his views represent TF before anyone starts, as with any mag they allow a range of opinion from their writers, and this fella just happens to be fairly hardcore I guess ("Best of luck to KK and the legal action between himself and Ashley." etc).

Isn't the bit you've quoted an editorial from the bloke who effectively runs TF?

Well, er... maybe. But, as the dude might say, it's, like, just his opinion man.  :blush:

The other speaker was Peter Lee - he of the 'fans bid'. Basically, there was a lot he said he couldn't say due to disclosures etc. He says that the 300,000 NUFC fans sticking in a grand each isn't neccesarily the case. According to him, there are 'substantial funds' already in place to buy the club and for transfers. Some of those involved are NUFC fans, but some aren't. The group includes business people, football fans, football/sports experts and celebrities, all of whom want to be a part of making NUFC a club for the fans and the wider community with strong fan representation. According to him, they would hope to fully take over the club by the end of the season, with a partial takeover taking place sooner. He also says that something major is going to happen this week that will make 'world headlines' and be 'bigger than Keegan'. (we've heard stuff like this before haven't we?)

Anything more been said about this?

Absolutely nothing. That was pretty much the last we (NUSC) heard from Peter Lee. In fact I think that was the last anyone heard from him.

Just a quick comment regarding the e-mails some of you may have got. Basically we sent that out to help us gague people's feelings. So thank you for responding, and please let us know your reasons, whether they're good or bad. We'll be looking at people's reasons and that will help us to maybe address/justify issues people may have.

We've also been discussing a few things aside from the Ashley issue - more on the social side of things, because contrary to what some people think (and to be fair its an issue that has dominated us so far) we're not solely an anti-Ashley movement, or an anti-Southern movement etc (as my mother and grandparents are from London the latter would be a bit hypocritical of me if that was the case).

As for the 'Christmas Carol' poem and the countdown. They both highlight something serious.

Basically that the January transfer window is rapidly closing, and that we need to both make new signings to bolster the squad and also make sure that we keep a hold of our better players. We're in a relegation battle and our season could hinge on what happens during the next month.

The other speaker was Peter Lee - he of the 'fans bid'. Basically, there was a lot he said he couldn't say due to disclosures etc. He says that the 300,000 NUFC fans sticking in a grand each isn't neccesarily the case. According to him, there are 'substantial funds' already in place to buy the club and for transfers. Some of those involved are NUFC fans, but some aren't. The group includes business people, football fans, football/sports experts and celebrities, all of whom want to be a part of making NUFC a club for the fans and the wider community with strong fan representation. According to him, they would hope to fully take over the club by the end of the season, with a partial takeover taking place sooner. He also says that something major is going to happen this week that will make 'world headlines' and be 'bigger than Keegan'. (we've heard stuff like this before haven't we?)

Absolutely nothing. That was pretty much the last we (NUSC) heard from Peter Lee. In fact I think that was the last anyone heard from him.

Just a quick comment regarding the e-mails some of you may have got. Basically we sent that out to help us gague people's feelings. So thank you for responding, and please let us know your reasons, whether they're good or bad. We'll be looking at people's reasons and that will help us to maybe address/justify issues people may have.

We've also been discussing a few things aside from the Ashley issue - more on the social side of things, because contrary to what some people think (and to be fair its an issue that has dominated us so far) we're not solely an anti-Ashley movement, or an anti-Southern movement etc (as my mother and grandparents are from London the latter would be a bit hypocritical of me if that was the case).

As for the 'Christmas Carol' poem and the countdown. They both highlight something serious.

Basically that the January transfer window is rapidly closing, and that we need to both make new signings to bolster the squad and also make sure that we keep a hold of our better players. We're in a relegation battle and our season could hinge on what happens during the next month.

The countdown highlights something very serious.  It highlights how clueless this ignorance driven "Supporters Club"has become.

You'd of been better off just writing that, things like those poems and clock just highlight a real immaturity regarding the issue. I persoanlly believe you;ve shot yourself in the foot regarding the way you;ve gone about things. This latest statement is how it should of been done in the first place, and with it coming after the 2 earliers less professionall statements you've undermined any credibilty you had as an organisation.

Combine the diplomatic public statement with poems and clock, you;re sending ridiculously contradictory and unprofessional messages.

Has your group done anything publically which promotes the unique status that nufc has amongst the people of newcastle? Maybe trying to attack the bias anti nufc media and stereotype attached to nufc and its fans may be more beneficial for the club and may help galvanise things within your organisation with all fans of differeing views....

You'd of been better off just writing that, things like those poems and clock just highlight a real immaturity regarding the issue. I persoanlly believe you;ve shot yourself in the foot regarding the way you;ve gone about things. This latest statement is how it should of been done in the first place, and with it coming after the 2 earliers less professionall statements you've undermined any credibilty you had as an organisation.

Combine the diplomatic public statement with poems and clock, you;re sending ridiculously contradictory and unprofessional messages.

Has your group done anything publically which promotes the unique status that nufc has amongst the people of newcastle? Maybe trying to attack the bias anti nufc media and stereotype attached to nufc and its fans may be more beneficial for the club and may help galvanise things within your organisation with all fans of differeing views....

Talk about your rhetorical!

"...He wants to sell. Our position is clear, we want him to sell, but in the meantime he must take steps to protect the club, including making money available to the manager.

SO……WHY NOT LET US HELP YOU GET WHAT WE BOTH WANT, MR ASHLEY? YOU WANT TO GO, WE WANT YOU TO GO. LETS WORK TOGETHER ON THAT..."

Huh? What are they offering to do? ???

Huh? What are they offering to do to help him? ???

They'll stop coming out with stupid statements, poems, and countdowns. How generous.

I bet they don't. :lol:

The theory goes that if you place 1000 monkey's in a room with typewriters, they'll eventually write enough words to form a shakespeare play...looks like the NUSC have some evolution to do.

They'll stop coming out with stupid statements, poems, and countdowns. How generous.

The theory goes that if you place 1000 monkey's in a room with typewriters, they'll eventually write enough words to form a shakespeare play...looks like the NUSC have some evolution to do.

Have the 1,000 monkeys paid £10 each to be in the room. ???

Tom, I see where you're coming from about the countdown and christmas poem highlighting 'something serious', but you have to realise that the most important thing in communications/PR is not just getting the message across, but how you get the message across.

You must realise that a billionaire businessman is supremely unlikely to engage in discussion with a group that resorts to such measures.

It seems we've reached the point where nothing more can be said, if Ashley selling is the objective you want, so NUSC should use this opportunity to show themselves as balanced, reasoned and pursuing some other issues.

Have the 1,000 monkeys paid £10 each to be in the room. ???

Nope, these monkeys are intelligent.

That's pretty amateurish really. I mean seriously, what help do they possibly think they can provide in terms of selling the club? Again they're asking stupid self-important questions, that either can't be answered or won't be answered to them given who they are. They slate the guy and in the next breath expect him to tell them things that no well run club would ever want to make public regardless of how good their relationship was with the fans. Have these people no sense of reality, or understanding of how things work, no sense of perspective, no logic or reasoning?

"SO…….WHERE IS THE MONEY, MR ASHLEY? " - No club is going to come out and tell everyone exactly how much money there is available to spend in the transfer window. We've been moaning about Shepherd doing things like that for ages, yet now that the club is not leaking everything to the press people are pissed off. The window isn't even open yet, for fuck's sake, they're talking like it's already passed and we've spent nothing. Get a grip, stop pissing your pants, calm down, and wait to see what happens, if we spend nothing then by all means be pissed off then, but don't waste your time being pissed about something that hasn't happened yet and might never do so. The reality is you're going to have to wait anyway, because there's no chance this question is going to be answered before February the second, you should have known that already and not asked such a stupid and pointless question.

"SO….WHY WON’T YOU SPEAK TO THE SUPPORTERS OF NEWCASTLE UNITED, MR ASHLEY?" - Same old stupid question as always, why do you fucking think he doesn't speak to you!?! When I say "you" I mean NUSC because that's what this is really about, isn't it, he hasn't spoken to you directly and that pisses you off. He's "spoken" to the supporters in much the same way that every other football club chairman "speaks" to the supporters, through the press and the official club website, but that's not good enough for NUSC for the simple reason that it doesn't stroke it's collective ego enough, or rather the ego of the people "running" it. It doesn't acknowledge your importance enough and how dare he not acknowledge the importance of NUSC!?! A group so important that they have had all of what is it two, three meetings? A group so dedicated their list of achievements includes... ....erm, a website containing a stupid poem and a countdown timer. A group so united that every time the make an announcement it totally contradicts the previous one! Who wouldn't consider such an organisation as hugely important, who wouldn't want to talk to them!?! The club put a lot of effort into establishing links with supporters' groups before all the Keegan stuff kicked off, but that's all gone now. The trust is all gone and that applies both ways.

"SO….WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE PEOPLE ALLEGEDLY INTERESTED IN BUYING THE CLUB, MR ASHLEY? WHAT HAS PUT THEM OFF? " - The fucking huge global recession perhaps? The turmoil surrounding the club, possibly? There's a whole load of obvious reasons why selling a football club might not be so easy at the moment that no-one with half a brain needs Mike Ashley to tell them about. Then there are undoubtedly other issues that no-one with half a brain would expect him to talk about because such things are rightly confidential and he'd be a fool to talk about them in public. Finally, there's a strong possibility that there simply isn't anything for him to say at the moment. Perhaps there are bids in progress, in which case until they have progressed to completion, there's nothing to say. Perhaps there are no bids on the table, in which case, there's nothing to say. So again, this is a stupid and pointless question.

If NUSC wants to ask questions then they need to think about what questions are sensible to ask before asking them. Then they need to think about how they're asking them, posting them on a website is not the right way. Finally, they need to ask themselves the question: should/would Mike Ashley want to tell them what they want to know and work towards a situation where the answer is "yes", because at the moment it's obviously "no".

They also need to do some serious work on themselves, because at the moment I really can't see what benefit they're giving to their members whatsoever. A large scale NUFC supporters' group is a very good idea, but the way it's being done at the moment looks like a bit of a shambles from what I've seen. They can't expect anyone to take them seriously the way things are at the moment, least of all Mike Ashley.

That's pretty amateurish really. I mean seriously, what help do they possibly think they can provide in terms of selling the club? Again they're asking stupid self-important questions, that either can't be answered or won't be answered to them given who they are. They slate the guy and in the next breath expect him to tell them things that no well run club would ever want to make public regardless of how good their relationship was with the fans. Have these people no sense of reality, or understanding of how things work, no sense of perspective, no logic or reasoning?

"SO…….WHERE IS THE MONEY, MR ASHLEY? " - No club is going to come out and tell everyone exactly how much money there is available to spend in the transfer window. We've been moaning about Shepherd doing things like that for ages, yet now that the club is not leaking everything to the press people are pissed off. The window isn't even open yet, for fuck's sake, they're talking like it's already passed and we've spent nothing. Get a grip, stop pissing your pants, calm down, and wait to see what happens, if we spend nothing then by all means be pissed off then, but don't waste your time being pissed about something that hasn't happened yet and might never do so. The reality is you're going to have to wait anyway, because there's no chance this question is going to be answered before February the second, you should have known that already and not asked such a stupid and pointless question.

"SO….WHY WON’T YOU SPEAK TO THE SUPPORTERS OF NEWCASTLE UNITED, MR ASHLEY?" - Same old stupid question as always, why do you fucking think he doesn't speak to you!?! When I say "you" I mean NUSC because that's what this is really about, isn't it, he hasn't spoken to you directly and that pisses you off. He's "spoken" to the supporters in much the same way that every other football club chairman "speaks" to the supporters, through the press and the official club website, but that's not good enough for NUSC for the simple reason that it doesn't stroke it's collective ego enough, or rather the ego of the people "running" it. It doesn't acknowledge your importance enough and how dare he not acknowledge the importance of NUSC!?! A group so important that they have had all of what is it two, three meetings? A group so dedicated their list of achievements includes... ....erm, a website containing a stupid poem and a countdown timer. A group so united that every time the make an announcement it totally contradicts the previous one! Who wouldn't consider such an organisation as hugely important, who wouldn't want to talk to them!?! The club put a lot of effort into establishing links with supporters' groups before all the Keegan stuff kicked off, but that's all gone now. The trust is all gone and that applies both ways.

"SO….WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE PEOPLE ALLEGEDLY INTERESTED IN BUYING THE CLUB, MR ASHLEY? WHAT HAS PUT THEM OFF? " - The fucking huge global recession perhaps? The turmoil surrounding the club, possibly? There's a whole load of obvious reasons why selling a football club might not be so easy at the moment that no-one with half a brain needs Mike Ashley to tell them about. Then there are undoubtedly other issues that no-one with half a brain would expect him to talk about because such things are rightly confidential and he'd be a fool to talk about them in public. Finally, there's a strong possibility that there simply isn't anything for him to say at the moment. Perhaps there are bids in progress, in which case until they have progressed to completion, there's nothing to say. Perhaps there are no bids on the table, in which case, there's nothing to say. So again, this is a stupid and pointless question.

If NUSC wants to ask questions then they need to think about what questions are sensible to ask before asking them. Then they need to think about how they're asking them, posting them on a website is not the right way. Finally, they need to ask themselves the question: should/would Mike Ashley want to tell them what they want to know and work towards a situation where the answer is "yes", because at the moment it's obviously "no".

They also need to do some serious work on themselves, because at the moment I really can't see what benefit they're giving to their members whatsoever. A large scale NUFC supporters' group is a very good idea, but the way it's being done at the moment looks like a bit of a shambles from what I've seen. They can't expect anyone to take them seriously the way things are at the moment, least of all Mike Ashley.

That is spot on :thup:

Tom, I see where you're coming from about the countdown and christmas poem highlighting 'something serious', but you have to realise that the most important thing in communications/PR is not just getting the message across, but how you get the message across.

You must realise that a billionaire businessman is supremely unlikely to engage in discussion with a group that resorts to such measures.

It seems we've reached the point where nothing more can be said, if Ashley selling is the objective you want, so NUSC should use this opportunity to show themselves as balanced, reasoned and pursuing some other issues.

Speaking with an NUSC hat on, I can say that when we contacted Mike Ashley, when we're asking to speak to him, we don't realistically think that he is going to be in touch with us. However, the offer is there. The ball is in his court so to speak.

Personally, I agree with you on the points you raise. As I said yesterday, we are currently working on things away from the Mike Ashley issue. Again, personally, as much as it was the catalyst, and as much as it is an important issue, I want NUSC to be more much more than that, and I know plenty others in NUSC feel the same.

In setting up NUSC, not everything has gone to plan, and yes, mistakes have probably been made, but I think in setting something like this up, that's going to be inevitable. Sometimes we are going to have to look over things we've done or said and revise our judgements or decisions. The thing is we don't mind criticism from members or potential members. If people are saying "I'm not joining NUSC because or x or y reason", then that allows us to look at the reason(s) and discuss the matter. That's something that IS happening.

Speaking with an NUSC hat on, I can say that when we contacted Mike Ashley, when we're asking to speak to him, we don't realistically think that he is going to be in touch with us. However, the offer is there. The ball is in his court so to speak.

Personally, I agree with you on the points you raise. As I said yesterday, we are currently working on things away from the Mike Ashley issue. Again, personally, as much as it was the catalyst, and as much as it is an important issue, I want NUSC to be more much more than that, and I know plenty others in NUSC feel the same.

In setting up NUSC, not everything has gone to plan, and yes, mistakes have probably been made, but I think in setting something like this up, that's going to be inevitable. Sometimes we are going to have to look over things we've done or said and revise our judgements or decisions. The thing is we don't mind criticism from members or potential members. If people are saying "I'm not joining NUSC because or x or y reason", then that allows us to look at the reason(s) and discuss the matter. That's something that IS happening.

If you don't have any contact with the club at boardroom level, what do you think you're capable of achieving as a group?

The mistakes were completely avoidable though and as I assume that there are some highly intelligent people involved in the group I'm surprised that they were allowed to happen.

Is it honestly the case that not one member stood up and questioned the tone and content of the early 'dialogue'? And if they did speak up were they ignored?

It's a cliche but first impressions do count and the first (and second and third....) impression of NUSC was one of almost a vigilante group with a single myopic agenda to remove the 'Cockney Mafia' from the club without consideration of their impacts on the club.

Now this may sound daft, but if there is a faction within NUSC who want to build a true supporters club then the best thing they could do is to form a splinter group and distance themselves from anyone who has spoken out under the NUSC banner so far

(oh and choose a name which does not imply that their views are representative of all Toon fans - which like it or not Newcastle United Supporters Club does)

The mistakes were completely avoidable though and as I assume that there are some highly intelligent people involved in the group I'm surprised that they were allowed to happen.

Is it honestly the case that not one member stood up and questioned the tone and content of the early 'dialogue'? And if they did speak up were they ignored?

It's a cliche but first impressions do count and the first (and second and third....) impression of NUSC was one of almost a vigilante group with a single myopic agenda to remove the 'Cockney Mafia' from the club without consideration of their impacts on the club.

Now this may sound daft, but if there is a faction within NUSC who want to build a true supporters club then the best thing they could do is to form a splinter group and distance themselves from anyone who has spoken out under the NUSC banner so far

(oh and choose a name which does not imply that their views are representative of all Toon fans - which like it or not Newcastle United Supporters Club does)

Preach, brother, Preach!

Amen to that.

Bit in bold especially.

I think that's probably right. Even having said what I've said, I too am sure that there are elements within NUSC who if left to their own devices would ultimately end up getting this right, but I think there's a pretty good chance that they'll get drowned out by those with a die-hard anti Ashley stance, whose agenda is solely concerned with getting rid of him and nothing else. I guess it's always hard when a large group of people with many diverse viewpoints are bound together due to a single issue because that'll only bind you together for so long. I think that's one of NUSC's big problems and probably its fundamental flaw; apart from the obvious support for NUFC and a general dislike of Mike Ashley, what have you actually got in common? Judging by the seeming inability to talk with a single voice on the one thing you're all supposed to agree about, I'd say not very much.

Good luck Tom with building a more rounded supporters group, I really hope you manage it, but I suspect it might have to be outside of NUSC as it currently exists as Colo's has already said.

"SO…….WHERE IS THE MONEY, MR ASHLEY? " - No club is going to come out and tell everyone exactly how much money there is available to spend in the transfer window. We've been moaning about Shepherd doing things like that for ages, yet now that the club is not leaking everything to the press people are pissed off. The window isn't even open yet, for f***'s sake, they're talking like it's already passed and we've spent nothing. Get a grip, stop pissing your pants, calm down, and wait to see what happens, if we spend nothing then by all means be pissed off then, but don't waste your time being pissed about something that hasn't happened yet and might never do so. The reality is you're going to have to wait anyway, because there's no chance this question is going to be answered before February the second, you should have known that already and not asked such a stupid and pointless question.

"SO….WHY WON’T YOU SPEAK TO THE SUPPORTERS OF NEWCASTLE UNITED, MR ASHLEY?" - Same old stupid question as always, why do you f***ing think he doesn't speak to you!?! When I say "you" I mean NUSC because that's what this is really about, isn't it, he hasn't spoken to you directly and that pisses you off. He's "spoken" to the supporters in much the same way that every other football club chairman "speaks" to the supporters, through the press and the official club website, but that's not good enough for NUSC for the simple reason that it doesn't stroke it's collective ego enough, or rather the ego of the people "running" it. It doesn't acknowledge your importance enough and how dare he not acknowledge the importance of NUSC!?! A group so important that they have had all of what is it two, three meetings? A group so dedicated their list of achievements includes... ....erm, a website containing a stupid poem and a countdown timer. A group so united that every time the make an announcement it totally contradicts the previous one! Who wouldn't consider such an organisation as hugely important, who wouldn't want to talk to them!?! The club put a lot of effort into establishing links with supporters' groups before all the Keegan stuff kicked off, but that's all gone now. The trust is all gone and that applies both ways.

"SO….WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE PEOPLE ALLEGEDLY INTERESTED IN BUYING THE CLUB, MR ASHLEY? WHAT HAS PUT THEM OFF? " - The f***ing huge global recession perhaps? The turmoil surrounding the club, possibly? There's a whole load of obvious reasons why selling a football club might not be so easy at the moment that no-one with half a brain needs Mike Ashley to tell them about. Then there are undoubtedly other issues that no-one with half a brain would expect him to talk about because such things are rightly confidential and he'd be a fool to talk about them in public. Finally, there's a strong possibility that there simply isn't anything for him to say at the moment. Perhaps there are bids in progress, in which case until they have progressed to completion, there's nothing to say. Perhaps there are no bids on the table, in which case, there's nothing to say. So again, this is a stupid and pointless question.

:clap: :clap: