Newcastle United Supporters Club

peasepud
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"On Monday, Keegan said he was "reluctant to tell all I know because I really do not know everything" about Wise's role but insisted he was "very happy" with the situation.

However, Keegan's comments seem to contradict the opinion he gave to BBC One's Inside Sport last October, when he said he felt that kind of structure is unworkable.

When Keegan was asked about reports linking him with a return to Newcastle as director of football under then-manager Sam Allardyce, he said: "It's absolutely impossible to give Sam a job at Newcastle and then go and fetch someone who is going to be some sort of threat, it doesn't work.

"Sam would be a fool to let it happen and the guy who goes in would be a fool to accept it. "The chairman, who is not a fool, would be a fool to go and do it, too. It doesn't work."

see sig for a few more  :thup:

Keegan didnt know everything about Wise's role but how do we know Kevin wasnt told "that whatever Dennis does, he is completely under your control and he isnt in any way a threat to you" or perhaps "Dennis role doesnt infringe on the 1st team at all" ?

If that was the case he would have no need to be anything other than happy and he certainly wouldnt be contradicting the Allardyce comparison.

Your as guilty of making assumptions as anyone else.

"Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman. Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment.

The arrival of these three new recruits follows on from the recent appointment of Kevin Keegan as manager. Kevin will be responsible for all matters related to the First Team."

"With Kevin able to devote his efforts to developing and running the first team squad, Dennis, Tony and Jeff will each help us to secure success for Newcastle United Football Club at all levels and for the long-term"

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1227633,00.html

pretty clear imo.

How do first team transfers not relate to the first team then?  Sorry but to me those comments are pretty clearly saying that Keegan makes all final decisions relating to the first team which would include transfers and that Wise merely helps to finalise the deals.  Wise himself said something similar around the same time.

Selective reading. You can't get much clearer than "Dennis Wise will assist the board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment.

Did anyone claim that he had nothing to do with it like?

"I'm not here to be involved in the first team. I'm not here to manage. I'm here to help Kevin as much as possible with bringing young players through and also recommending certain players to him. He'll say yes or no. He has the final word, no one else. I'm not going to do things like bring players in behind his back, I'm not into that. Everything that happens will run past him and he'll say yes or no."

D'oh!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/im-here-to-help-not-undermine--keegan-says-wise-777269.html

"On Monday, Keegan said he was "reluctant to tell all I know because I really do not know everything" about Wise's role but insisted he was "very happy" with the situation.

However, Keegan's comments seem to contradict the opinion he gave to BBC One's Inside Sport last October, when he said he felt that kind of structure is unworkable.

When Keegan was asked about reports linking him with a return to Newcastle as director of football under then-manager Sam Allardyce, he said: "It's absolutely impossible to give Sam a job at Newcastle and then go and fetch someone who is going to be some sort of threat, it doesn't work.

"Sam would be a fool to let it happen and the guy who goes in would be a fool to accept it. "The chairman, who is not a fool, would be a fool to go and do it, too. It doesn't work."

Keegan didnt know everything about Wise's role but how do we know Kevin wasnt told "that whatever Dennis does, he is completely under your control and he isnt in any way a threat to you" or perhaps "Dennis role doesnt infringe on the 1st team at all" ?

If that was the case he would have no need to be anything other than happy and he certainly wouldnt be contradicting the Allardyce comparison.

"Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman. Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment.

The arrival of these three new recruits follows on from the recent appointment of Kevin Keegan as manager. Kevin will be responsible for all matters related to the First Team."

"With Kevin able to devote his efforts to developing and running the first team squad, Dennis, Tony and Jeff will each help us to secure success for Newcastle United Football Club at all levels and for the long-term"

pretty clear imo.

How do first team transfers not relate to the first team then?  Sorry but to me those comments are pretty clearly saying that Keegan makes all final decisions relating to the first team which would include transfers and that Wise merely helps to finalise the deals.  Wise himself said something similar around the same time.

Selective reading. You can't get much clearer than "Dennis Wise will assist the board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment.

No, but it's selective interpretation. Nowhere in that statement does it say, "Keegan will be in charge of signing players", whereas it does say that's what Wise's role was.

Guest The Libertine

That statement was from Jan 29th 2008 btw.

I'm pretty sure Keegan said he was totally fine with the set-up after this announcement. :dontknow:

Keegan has insisted that the appointment of Wise was made with his blessing and that he believes the new structure will be successful.

He said: "I am all for the changes and I approve of them. They want someone on the board who understands football, and Dennis understands football very well.

"It will work very well. Dennis reports to me - the chain is established.

"The club has become slightly fragmented. From my point of view, it's a positive thing - provided I get all the help I need.

"I know what Dennis is going to do, and the idea in principle is good - to look for new players, to bring youngsters through and do things which our academy isn't doing so much at the moment."

Keegan also revealed he was involved in the appointment after speaking to owner Mike Ashley before he returned as manager.

"I knew about it. It's not a surprise to me, it might be to other people," Keegan told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Two or three names were given to me when I first sat down and talked about the job with the owner. One of them was Dennis.

"I know Dennis. I know he's intelligent. I know his job here is to help me. He's on my side.

"How can any manager be against someone who is going to come to the club to try to bring in talent?

"It's right for this football club. A lot of people outside might be shocked about it. I think in the long term it's the right decision. It's something that needs to be done."

February 1st 2008.

"I'm not here to be involved in the first team. I'm not here to manage. I'm here to help Kevin as much as possible with bringing young players through and also recommending certain players to him. He'll say yes or no. He has the final word, no one else. I'm not going to do things like bring players in behind his back, I'm not into that. Everything that happens will run past him and he'll say yes or no."

D'oh!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/im-here-to-help-not-undermine--keegan-says-wise-777269.html

How do you know Wise has done any of those things?

pretty clear imo.

No, but it's selective interpretation. Nowhere in that statement does it say, "Keegan will be in charge of signing players", whereas it does say that's what Wise's role was.

No it doesn't, if we're going to get into pedantry. It says Wise will 'assist the board' and that Keegan will be in charge of all matters relating to the first team.

I think signing first team players comes into that category. Call me crazy.

That's not definitive in the slightest, assist could mean anything.  But why argue when I can just let Mr Wise himself tell you:

"A lot of people have got a little mixed up with the reason I'm here and we need to straighten that out quite quickly.

"I'm not here to be involved in the first team. I'm not here to manage. I'm here to help Kevin as much as possible with bringing young players through and also recommending certain players to him.

"He will say yes or no. He has the final word, no one else. I'm not going to do things like bring players in behind his back, I'm not into that. Everything that happens will be run past him and he'll say yes or no."

Looks like Wise agrees with my selective reading.

pretty clear imo.

No it doesn't, if we're going to get into pedantry. It says Wise will 'assist the board' and that Keegan will be in charge of all matters relating to the first team.

Also says Vetere and Jiminez 'assist' the board in transfer. what does assist mean? thankfully dennis wise took the time to have an EXCLUSIVE chat to nufc.co.uk clarifying such matters:

Dennis said: "A lot of people have got a little mixed up with the reason I'm here and we need to straighten that out quite quickly.

"I'm not here to be involved in the first team. I'm not here to manage.

"I'm here to help Kevin as much as possible with bringing young players through and also recommending certain players to him.

"He'll say yes or no. He has the final word, no one else. I'm not going to do things like bring players in behind his back, I'm not into that.

"Everything that happens will be run past him and he'll say yes or no."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1230721,00.html

glad we got that cleared up then...

:doh: :rolleyes:

Still can't fathom how anyone can read all of these statements/quotes and categorically say either party is totally in the right. They've both contradicted each other and themselves throughout this whole sorry mess. The statements are very ambiguous and are open to loads of different interpretations which is what is causing the confusion.

I just want to know exactly what happened. :neutral:

Still can't fathom how anyone can read all of these statements/quotes and categorically say either party is totally in the right. They've both contradicted each other and themselves throughout this whole sorry mess. The statements are very ambiguous and are open to loads of different interpretations which is what is causing the confusion.

:nods:

Couldnt agree more Midds.

Guest The Libertine

pretty clear imo.

ie. keegan manages the team only.

"devote" - 1. To give or apply (one's time, attention, or self) entirely to a particular activity, pursuit, cause, or person.

pretty clear imo.

"devote" - 1. To give or apply (one's time, attention, or self) entirely to a particular activity, pursuit, cause, or person.

Fuck me. What sort of dense interpretation is that?

I like how Louise Taylor reported Keegan's off the record chats with the press...

The warning signs were apparent in July when journalists were invited to Newcastle airport where Flybe was naming a plane in his honour. The main man was pencilled in to give a series of interviews but, to all-round embarrassment, Newcastle's manager uncharacteristically declined to say anything on the record.

I wonder if that was when this was said...

Tellingly Keegan has been heard to lament: "Don't ask me, I'm just the coach."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/03/newcastleunited.premierleague1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/16/premierleague.newcastleunited

Yet you back the man who walked away over the club.

Guest The Libertine

thats exactly right. it just annoys me how blind people are willing to be about keegans part in this. ashley is the devil and keegan is god, no matter what.

thats exactly right. it just annoys me how blind people are willing to be about keegans part in this. ashley is the devil and keegan is god, no matter what.

STRAW MEN! this year's MUST HAVE christmas gift!

STRAW MEN! this year's MUST HAVE christmas gift!

:lol:

No need to get The Libertine one though. :thup:

pretty clear imo.

Could mean he can devote his time to the first team because he doesn't have to do negotiations, not that he doesn't decide which players we sign.  Have to say midds has a point most of that is ambigious, but all we need to do is look at Wise's comments for clarification on the party line at the time.  His comments certainly aren't ambigious and clear up how we were supposed to believe the system would work.

Guest The Libertine

pretty clear imo.

Fuck me. What sort of dense interpretation is that?

see what you want to see. i see no mention of "keegan" and "transfers", just about him running the squad.

Yet you back the man who walked away over the club.

Until I know exactly what went on yes.

And vice versa in your case. Your just the same

And yet despite the clear lack of facts, statements which were clearly b*llocks from both sides, it's Keegan who comes out looking like he's the one who's been mistreated, and Wise, etc. are the villains of the piece.