Peter Beardsley

biggs

Bloke I know compares Green to Zidane and Gazza, I can't argue as I never saw him play, but he is constantly and consistently regarded as one of the best players to have played for us...

Just watching extended highlights from the Man Utd win in '72 (seen the goals but never 40mins worth of the game) and, needing mick's help here, I always had Green down as a wingerbut he's in the middle  for the most part with Tommy Gibb, Barrowclough one side, Hibbitt the other ?

Guest Howaythetoon

Great player, but an absolute snidey little toad of a man......Anfield 87 should never be forgotten.

Still think Gazza was a better player.

This

Great player, but an absolute snidey little toad of a man......Anfield 87 should never be forgotten.

This

What happened?

I think he's referring to an incident after we played there in January 87. If memory serves, apparently the Kop sang his name at the end of the game there and he gave them a thumbs up as if to say "yup, i'll be joining soon". Wasn't at that game but it's often been mentioned. He only played a bit part in our run-in when Goddard scored all those goals to keep us up. Limped out of the Easter Man U game and never featured again, joined Liverpool that summer. Think that's what happened but stand to be corrected.

Just watching extended highlights from the Man Utd win in '72 (seen the goals but never 40mins worth of the game) and, needing mick's help here, I always had Green down as a wingerbut he's in the middle  for the most part with Tommy Gibb, Barrowclough one side, Hibbitt the other ?

Tony Green was a central midfielder, he was such a waste of talent like far too many players in those days who had their careers ended early for injuries which we now see players coming back from.

Beardsley > Gazza

They were totally different players in the way that they played and I can see an argument for both being the better players.  Gazza was and still is the best player that I've seen at his age when he played for us.  Both players were world class and would probably have been higher rater over here by most people if they were foreign.

Beardsley > Gazza

They were totally different players in the way that they played and I can see an argument for both being the better players.  Gazza was and still is the best player that I've seen at his age when he played for us.  Both players were world class and would probably have been higher rater over here by most people if they were foreign.

Respectively disagree. Gazza's highlight real is the same handful of moments repeated. Even his movie was the same action over and over again. With Beardsley you literally could pick every game he played and there would be a great goal or great assist or just a touch of class mid game.

Gazza's flame burnt bright no doubt but short.

Tony Green was a central midfielder, he was such a waste of talent like far too many players in those days who had their careers ended early for injuries which we now see players coming back from.

All the fleeting clips I saw were of him running at players like a winger and probably that Man utd clip where he's in a wingerish position made me think winger....and his build man, like a wet spelk,

A few weeks ago I was watching some old MOTD's that my Grandad had recorded from the 95/96 season. Back then they only had main highlights of 2 or 3 games at most so we were on every week just about. Bearing in mind Beardsley was mid 30s by that point, he was absolutely sublime. Not just with the goals he scored, but his effect on the team in general. In one game he ended up playing pretty much left wing back, he just did everything Keegan asked. Gary Lineker, who was still a pundit at this point, made a great point in that the consistent thing about Beardsley is that whoever he plays up front with scores loads of goals (including himself obviously.)

It's a shame he's on Ashley's side and all that but he's hardly going to slag off his boss, but I don't think anybody can slag him off as a player. If he gave the Kop the thumbs up in 1987 that's a pity but fucking hell, I think he made up for that.

A few weeks ago I was watching some old MOTD's that my Grandad had recorded from the 95/96 season. Back then they only had main highlights of 2 or 3 games at most so we were on every week just about. Bearing in mind Beardsley was mid 30s by that point, he was absolutely sublime. Not just with the goals he scored, but his effect on the team in general. In one game he ended up playing pretty much left wing back, he just did everything Keegan asked. Gary Lineker, who was still a pundit at this point, made a great point in that the consistent thing about Beardsley is that whoever he plays up front with scores loads of goals (including himself obviously.)

It's a shame he's on Ashley's side and all that but he's hardly going to slag off his boss, but I don't think anybody can slag him off as a player. If he gave the Kop the thumbs up in 1987 that's a pity but f***ing hell, I think he made up for that.

kin'ell, was it in black and white, were there Zepplins overhead, was the keeper smoking a pipe ? That's the recent past man! (for some of us :))

Respectively disagree. Gazza's highlight real is the same handful of moments repeated. Even his movie was the same action over and over again. With Beardsley you literally could pick every game he played and there would be a great goal or great assist or just a touch of class mid game.

Gazza's flame burnt bright no doubt but short.

Gazza could control a game in the way that Beardsley never could, Beardsley was class and was a bag of tricks.  I was lucky to see both players throughout their time at Newcastle and they were both brilliant at what they did.  It doesn't matter if Gazza didn't have as many tricks as Beardsley as that wasn't really what his game was about. Gazza didn't have much pace but he could walk through central midfield as if nobody could see him because they couldn't do anything with him.  I remember Gazza playing away at Southampton as a kid, I'm sure it was possibly his first start and he had some really good players chasing fresh air and he did that throughout his time here.

All the fleeting clips I saw were of him running at players like a winger and probably that Man utd clip where he's in a wingerish position made me think winger....and his build man, like a wet spelk,

He probably could have played as a winger, he moved all over the pitch.

Gazza was a central midfielder, Beardsley was an attacking midfielder/forward, can't really compare them in that way.

I think you can highlight their strengths, even in different positions.

Gazza was a central midfielder, Beardsley was an attacking midfielder/forward, can't really compare them in that way.

Yeah but it''s awkward, Gazza had a physical strength to play that role, Beardsley had the speed of foot to do what Gazza couldn't up front, their strengths were different because their roles were different. One thing they had in comon, they could both DOMINATE  a game.

Yeah but it''s awkward, Gazza had a physical strength to play that role, Beardsley had the speed of foot to do what Gazza couldn't up front, their strengths were different because their roles were different. One thing they had in comon, they could both DOMINATE  a game.

I'm not sure that Beardsley could control a game, he could and did definitely change games so you're right, they could both dominate a game.

This

What happened?

I think he's referring to an incident after we played there in January 87. If memory serves, apparently the Kop sang his name at the end of the game there and he gave them a thumbs up as if to say "yup, i'll be joining soon". Wasn't at that game but it's often been mentioned. He only played a bit part in our run-in when Goddard scored all those goals to keep us up. Limped out of the Easter Man U game and never featured again, joined Liverpool that summer. Think that's what happened but stand to be corrected.

Pretty much this, he waved and clapped them while ignoring the Newcastle support.....people were going absolutely crackers about it in our end. Fair enough, he had ambition, but that was a massive kick in the stones for Newcastle fans.

It still breaks my heart that we let 3 of the greatest English talents to have played football go in such a short space of time.....if only John Hall could have made his move a few years earlier.