Peter Beardsley

biggs

Yeah - will be interested to listen to that one.  I've listened to most of the other ones and I don't think there is a more annoying man than Hunter.  His questions are just rambling and his tone is sycophantic.

Beardsley was a great player - and that is all. His contribution to the youth set-up has been hopeless and he is basically an Ashley stooge, as is that other former star, Moncur ; no time for either of them, wrecked any respect we might have had for them and any decent new owner would have them out of the door like a flash.

There was controversy surrounding Beardsley's role at the club long before Ashley arrived and one young player at least walked out because of a dispute concerning Beardsley.

Was really interesting.  There was one bit where he was talking about KK and said KK told him 'Just get out there and drop grenades.  Go wherever you want on the pitch, just get around and damage them' (paraphrasing a bit, can't remember the exact quote).  What a great mentality.

I don't get why so many are questioning Beardsley's motives. He's only saying what many people on here are thinking. It's not an outlandish opinion.

He can't be doing it for personal gain, because Ashley is on his way out, and defending him won't be popular among the majority of fans.

The idea that he should be loyal to Keegan is also a bit strange to me. There are other people to be considered besides Keegan. I think it's quite important that someone in the public eye actually has the courage to give a more balanced view than the prevailing one.

This post doesn't hold much water now, does it ? 'Ashley on his way out..' ? he's still wrecking the club nearly 8 years later and KK was proved TOTALLY correct about Ashley by winning his case for constructive dismissal against Ashley...KK brought Beardsley back from Everton at an age when he was unlikely to get another move to a top club - true, he did offer great value for another 3 years, but he was quite happy to dissociate himself from KK after the walkout.

Couldn't really care less what the fans feel/think, just happy to pick up his extended pension.

Was really interesting.  There was one bit where he was talking about KK and said KK told him 'Just get out there and drop grenades.  Go wherever you want on the pitch, just get around and damage them' (paraphrasing a bit, can't remember the exact quote).  What a great mentality.

Read a Keegan book last night, and that exact quote "Just get out there and drop grenades" were word for word given to Keegan by Shankley early in his Liverpool career.

Thought that podcast was quite a good listen - but did anyone notice how often Beardsley said (even if it didn't make any sense) something like 'not in a nasty way' or 'not in a selfish way'.  He's done it again in an interview about Doumbia.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that formulation of words that often before.  Almost tempted to listen to it again to see how many times he does it.

Just to clarify - I'm not saying this in a nasty way.

Tony Green mentioned again. He must have been some player.

Definitely one of the best attacking m/fielders I have ever seen in a B&W shirt - more pace than Beardsley over the first 5 yards and a wand of a right foot. Only played 38 games for us after being signed by Joe Harvey in late 71 and directly responsible for our climb away from relegation after his signing. His quickness and skill on the ball were always going to make him a target for the hatchet men of the era(he had already had an Achilles tendon replaced in a ground-breaking op before he joined us) and after tormenting the Palace defence down there, he was well and truly whacked by Mel Blyth, their clumsy hard man defender. Cruciate ligament wrecked and in those days it was curtains although he tried a few times to come back. I have said before that if Green had been available, we certainly wouldn't have lost(or at least, so easily)at Wembley v Liverpool in 74 because his play was so infectious and inspiring that he would have lifted the side who played well below their capabilities on the day.

Great player who still loves NUFC.

Guest Howaythetoon

Bloke I know compares Green to Zidane and Gazza, I can't argue as I never saw him play, but he is constantly and consistently regarded as one of the best players to have played for us...

• 3 months later...

Rafa must replace our footballing legend/coaching nightmare ASAP... poor lad is turning into Pardew.

Compare the last twice:

Today...

"Whether it was the heat the stadium or something else I don't know."

Last home game of the season...

"We struggle to play at home, I don't know what it is - if it's the stadium, the pressure of being at home."

The team were relegated last year and had another terrible season this... love Peter the footballer ... question Peter the coach  :undecided:

here's the link:

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20160524/beardsley-we-hope-they-learn-from-this_2281670_5594433

He seems to be doing alright with the kids he has, shame the scouts get some shit kids in the academy though. He maybe clueless in interviews and stuff but he seems alright at coaching. He needs to stop doing all these ribbon cutting events and getting his face in the Chronicle and News Gaurdian day in and day out though, needs to focus on his job not anything else. If he prefers to do stuff like that then he should probably be moved to club ambassador or something.

Read a Keegan book last night, and that exact quote "Just get out there and drop grenades" were word for word given to Keegan by Shankley early in his Liverpool career.

Pretty sure Keegan used that phrase when talking about Scholes as England manager, too.

Guest chicken little

He seems to be doing alright with the kids he has, shame the scouts get some s*** kids in the academy though. He maybe clueless in interviews and stuff but he seems alright at coaching.

based on what? legit question, i'm not one of them nutters who goes to watch the reserves/U21s, just someone who looks at the past three seasons (as far as i can figure out with nufc.com's combination of useful archive and shite interface) and sees a win percentage of ~30%, and the lack of absolutely anybody of note coming through into the first team. how do we know how much of this is due to shit scouting, and how much is due to shit coaching?

Pretty sure Keegan used that phrase when talking about Scholes as England manager, too.

Aye, it's a Shanklyism, but if it fits, why not use it?

To Kevin Keegan:

"Just go out and drop a few hand-grenades all over the place, son."

http://myliverpoolfc.org/quotes.htm

Bloke I know compares Green to Zidane and Gazza, I can't argue as I never saw him play, but he is constantly and consistently regarded as one of the best players to have played for us...

My cousin still says he the best player he has seen play for Newcastle. I was very young when he played so cannot remember how good he was.

He seems to be doing alright with the kids he has, shame the scouts get some s*** kids in the academy though. He maybe clueless in interviews and stuff but he seems alright at coaching. He needs to stop doing all these ribbon cutting events and getting his face in the Chronicle and News Gaurdian day in and day out though, needs to focus on his job not anything else. If he prefers to do stuff like that then he should probably be moved to club ambassador or something.

Not based on results over the last few seasons he isn't. The reserves have gone backwards since he has been coaching them.

He seems to be doing alright with the kids he has, shame the scouts get some s*** kids in the academy though. He maybe clueless in interviews and stuff but he seems alright at coaching.

based on what? legit question, i'm not one of them nutters who goes to watch the reserves/U21s, just someone who looks at the past three seasons (as far as i can figure out with nufc.com's combination of useful archive and s**** interface) and sees a win percentage of ~30%, and the lack of absolutely anybody of note coming through into the first team. how do we know how much of this is due to s*** scouting, and how much is due to s*** coaching?

^^^^

This 100% his legend status getting squarely in front of the facts. The standard of football is rubbish (have seen them twice lately) and not one single kid is making the necessary. Sorry Mr Legend but the buck has to stop somewhere and that does in no way get in the way of the respect I hold you in as a brilliant brilliant player. However you have changed jobs and are not meeting criteria...

My cousin still says he the best player he has seen play for Newcastle. I was very young when he played so cannot remember how good he was.

He's 100% my favourite player I've ever seen play for us.  The goals he was scoring from 93-95 were unbelievable.

He's 100% my favourite player I've ever seen play for us.  The goals he was scoring from 93-95 were unbelievable.

I loved Beardsley also, I am old enough to remember both spells at the club. My quote was about Tony Green,

• 9 months later...