You won't see something like this very often

Syrette

Exteberria to play the final season of his career for free.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7649109.stm

Joseba Etxeberria has signed a one-year contract extension with Athletic Bilbao which will see him play the final season of his career for nothing.

The former Spain international agreed the deal with his current contract due to expire at the end of this season.

Etxeberria said he wanted to end his career as an Athletic player, adding: "I wanted to do this gesture but never did I want to set a precedent."

Midfielder Etxeberria, 31, joined the club from Real Sociedad aged 17.

He hopes to reach the landmark of having played 500 games when he retires after a 15-year career at San Mames.

"It's an idea I've had for years," added Etxeberria, who played at the 1998 World Cup and two European Championships for Spain.

Club president Fernando Garcia Macua said: "From the club's standpoint there are not words enough to thank such a gesture."

Really pleasing to see a professional with some integrity, whose mind clearly isn't dominated by money, and who feels he owes his club and the game something. Good man. Imagine one of our lot doing this.

Owen set to do the same for us next season.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1761165.ece

mackems.gif

I was going to say could you have imagined Shearer doing that in the 2004-5 season after he said he'd retired, saying he'd play his final season for free to reach Milburn's record? ;)

Better comparison anyway.

Guest toonlass

Loyalty, pure and simple. Giving something back to the club. Shame it won't catch on with the megabucks superstars over here.

Loyalty, pure and simple. Giving something back to the club. Shame it won't catch on with the megabucks superstars over here.

He's a decent player too. Hardly a superstar for Spain (and thus probably not on the same money as some of his more known compatriots) but always looked good whenever I saw him play.

Should still take the money off the club and donate the lot to local charities.

there was rumour a couple of years back that a prem league forward insisted on a clause in his contract that all win and goal bonuses go to a specific childrens charity.

there was rumour a couple of years back that a prem league forward insisted on a clause in his contract that all win and goal bonuses go to a specific childrens charity.

Alan Smith?

Alan Smith?

mackems.gif

Alan Smith?

:lol:

Guest NIToon

The closest you'll probably get over here is David James, doesn't he have a foundation for kids in an African country as well as some other charity stuff??

i remember niall quinn giving his testimonial £ to charities a few years back, i think put a lot of money towards hospital facilities for kids too. wouldn't be too surprised he was the striker, seems a nice sort of bloke, well for an adopted mackem anyhow lol

Guest Phil K

Bloody hell....an honest footballer, never mind one who isn't a greedy self-important "rules don't apply to me" turd ? (Dyer, Jenas, Bellamy* anyone)

You can tell he wouldn't be British, if that was the case eh ?

Niall Quinn is a rarity - and perhaps the only Brit/Irish type to get close to the bloke.

(* had a minor "on the Road to Damascus" revelation lately apparently though. Doubt if sh*tbags like Jenas and Dyer ever would tho')

Bloody hell....an honest footballer, never mind one who isn't a greedy self-important "rules don't apply to me" turd ? (Dyer, Jenas, Bellamy* anyone)

You can tell he wouldn't be British, if that was the case eh ?

Niall Quinn is a rarity - and perhaps the only Brit/Irish type to get close to the bloke.

(* had a minor "on the Road to Damascus" revelation lately apparently though. Doubt if sh*tbags like Jenas and Dyer ever would tho')

bellamy was bizzarre. go to training 5 times on on 3 you'd watch him be fantastic with everyone,last one away,signing autographs and posing for pics etc,very polite and friendly. on the other 2 days he'd tell you where to go and aim his car and accelerate at 8year old autograph hunters.

Guest guinness_fiend

Alan Smith?

Awesome.