The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Why on earth are we looking for a left back when we got one. Jose Enrique is far better than Riise, what excact is Riises qualities? Benitez tried from the start to replace Riise, but he managed to sign some worse defenders than him. Enrique is younger and a better defender, he has shown from now and then that he has some attacking qualities, but this is up to the coaches to coach him. Riise is a Liverpool and now Roma reject, and would come here only on silly wages(i bet 50k+).

If Løvenkrands is free we should go for him as a short term solution just like ronny johnsen was that season we signed him. I rather have Xisco on the bench than Beattie tbh, but with kinnear in charge he would only play players that can speak good english to bad for us.

We lack central midfielders, when are we going to get one? this is maybe the most important area of the pitch. But is a has been since he left man utd, Barton has a long time injury and will possibly be back next month if he doesnt get himself in trouble, Geremi isnt in Kinnears thoughts and has lost his legs. That leaves us with Guthrie, and wasnt he suppose to learn his trade here this season and take butts place next season or something, well he is our best central midfielder atm, and maybe the only one besides barton who is good enough to play in the premiership. What happend to this Inler guy we were gonna sign this summer? We should also have gotten Appiah.

Why on earth are we looking for a left back when we got one.

That being one of the main of problems.

We should buy a backup for Jose Enrique, a young french back should do it. If we buy Riise I bet ya we are gonna offload Enrique.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I like enrique he's fast and strong which is sometthing that cannot be taught

My point being, his 'weak' areas can be ironed out through good coaching, defensive positioning, his role within the defensive unit, his crossing-general distribution. Non of these are major problems for him, just not his stronger areas.

If we bring Riise in as competition for Jose i will be pleased as i think it will develop Joses game as well. If it is instead of, i think it is a step backwards

That being one of the main of problems.

We should buy a backup for Jose Enrique, a young french back should do it. If we buy Riise I bet ya we are gonna offload Enrique.

We already have the player who has been playing left back for the French U21's for the last few years but everyone says he is shite defender.

We have only got ONE, that is the problem! - We need cover as there is no specific full back to cover him.  Same as right back, or do you enjoy watching Taylor and Edgar play there?

You are right about centre midfield, but it's not down to lack of numbers for that position, its a matter of quality.  We don't have that creative spark in the middle and it would be fantastic if we could get in a player to start picking up players up front with decent through balls.

Peter Lovenkrands what a joke

A free joke though.  1 goal every 4 games for a winger isn't too bad either.

Given that he isn't playing very well at Schalke of late, I'd only let him sign on a trial basis (or til end of summer) to see if he can help us out.

I'm trying to be careful but wasn't Lovenkrands sacked from Rangers for "indiscretions" on the plane going to a European game? Or was that someone else?

I can't believe he's only 28.

I don't think he was..

In today Journal.

Kinnear’s ranks, though, will hopefully be boosted by the arrival of Lovenkrands, who is a free agent having had his contract at German Bundesliga side Schalke terminated by mutual consent this week with six months of it to run.

The 28-year-old, who can play on either wing or directly through the middle, is due to discuss personal terms over the weekend having turned down a move to Newcastle eight years ago in favour of joining Glasgow Rangers.

The Danish international, whose wife is Scottish, had been interested in a return to Ibrox, but the Scottish giants do not have the money to pay his wages.

That helps explain their willingness to negotiate with Newcastle over the possible transfers of captain Barry Ferguson and full-back Madjid Bougherra. Newcastle have made a bid of around £3.5m for Bougherra and are monitoring Ferguson’s situation following an indication from within Ibrox that the Scotland international will be allowed to leave for around £3m following the collapse of Kris Boyd’s move to Birmingham City earlier this week.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/10/offer-for-given-is-an-insult-united-61634-22662903/

Has Peter played this season for Schalke? Looking on Wiki he played 20 games last year & scored 0.

sorry to piss on your chips lads but Newcastle United have never in their entire history signed top quality footballers from other top clubs like other top clubs do or appointed top managers from other top clubs do either until the last 16  years.

Hope that helps the expectations that you all have.

Maybe in 20 years time the last decade and a half will be looked back on in the context it deserves.

Hopefully not like.

Christ man, you are like the kid at the birthday party who hands over the present and goes, "Its a pencil case". Take all the mystique away. Do you enjoy being a miserable bugger?

I'm the most optimistic bloke going, but its a reality call. I don't believe in hindsight judgements.

I like enrique he's fast and strong which is sometthing that cannot be taught

My point being, his 'weak' areas can be ironed out through good coaching, defensive positioning, his role within the defensive unit, his crossing-general distribution. Non of these are major problems for him, just not his stronger areas.

If we bring Riise in as competition for Jose i will be pleased as i think it will develop Joses game as well. If it is instead of, i think it is a step backwards

exactly.

No good having fancy footwork and ball skills if you are knocked off the ball, he can improve his concentration and consistency I would say but that CAN come with experience. Sometimes he hits some great balls and sometimes they are way off, but that can come in time as well.

sorry to piss on your chips lads but Newcastle United have never in their entire history signed top quality footballers from other top clubs like other top clubs do or appointed top managers from other top clubs do either until the last 16  years.

Maybe in 20 years time the last decade and a half will be looked back on in the context it deserves.

Hopefully not like.

Absolutely true - they used to sign Scots of approx 28 years of age from teams like McNuggets Utd whilst quibbling over about 30,000 quid extra which would have enabled them to sign the likes of Andy Gray(that actually happened when Joe Harvey wanted Gray after seeing him cause NUFC a ton of trouble in a game at SJP when Gray was 17....the Board wouldn't pay the extra to get him and he went to Villa).

Even players like Beardsley were signed AFTER Man U had the chance first and rejected it(nice one, Big Ron...!!!), and we picked him up from Vancouver.

Not until SJH was Chairman did we really get to compete for top division players, and even then, some of the best signings were bargain basement - Lee, Cole etc.

Sir Les was probably the highest-profile signing at 6m in 1995 until Asprilla and Alan Shearer in 1996.

and I THINK that Jackie Sinclair, was the FIRST ever player we bought from another top flight club, in 1968. I was told that, but haven't checked if its true. I know that following that, we still didn't buy many, only one or two, until the 1990's.

:clap:

Hopefully not like.

So whats your point?

back to the days of acting like a 2nd rate club at best.

We have only got ONE, that is the problem! - We need cover as there is no specific full back to cover him.  Same as right back, or do you enjoy watching Taylor and Edgar play there?

You are right about centre midfield, but it's not down to lack of numbers for that position, its a matter of quality.  We don't have that creative spark in the middle and it would be fantastic if we could get in a player to start picking up players up front with decent through balls.

Do u honestly think Riise is comming to Newcastle to sitt on the bench? He is comming here as a first team player nothing less. And do you think we will keep Enrique if we get Riise? In many interviews have Kinnear went out and said he was looking to cash in on Enrique, not excactly a moral  boost for the guy...

Think Taylor has had a few decent games on Right back, but latly he has been shit. I think he is better as a right back than a central defender, but thats my opinion. But we have decent 1st team players in these positions, so they shouldnt be Pri1 in my book.

We lack a creative and a defensive midfielder. To be fair, if we are gonna play 4-4-2 i rather have two box to box midfielders. Two midfielders who can protect, and if they win the ball they can make those through balls.

Guest elbee909

Hopefully not like.

So whats your point?

back to the days of acting like a 2nd rate club at best.

Yes, you were there before us, when it was all in black and white.  That's absolutely super.

Guest elbee909

Riise signing on loan according to the Daily Mirror. Loan deal not to bad as long as we keep Enrique.

This is fair - we lack cover and Zoggy is no left back (assuming he stays).

Am I the only one who thinks the Riise signing would be a decent recruit.

Not the greatest left back ever to grace the premier league, but he has one hell of a shot on him and always looked decent for Liverpool.

Oh, not sure if this has been mentioned, but we are apparently after Darren Bent from Spuds as he is a little miffed at the arrival of Grandaddy Defoe.

Am I the only one who thinks the Riise signing would be a decent recruit.

Not the greatest left back ever to grace the premier league, but he has one hell of a shot on him and always looked decent for Liverpool.

Oh, not sure if this has been mentioned, but we are apparently after Darren Bent from Spuds as he is a little miffed at the arrival of Grandaddy Defoe.

wont happen we have no cash.

Guest sittingontheball

Only really good signing I can remember from the bad old days (in my case late 70s until Keegan arrived) was Peter Withe. Dunno why Cloughie sold him.