The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

sorry to piss on your chips lads but Newcastle United have never in their entire history signed top quality footballers from other top clubs like other top clubs do or appointed top managers from other top clubs do either until the last 16  years.

Hope that helps the expectations that you all have.

Maybe in 20 years time the last decade and a half will be looked back on in the context it deserves.

Hopefully not like.

What so Shearer and Ferdinand were not top class signings?

sorry to piss on your chips lads but Newcastle United have never in their entire history signed top quality footballers from other top clubs like other top clubs do or appointed top managers from other top clubs do either until the last 16  years.

Maybe in 20 years time the last decade and a half will be looked back on in the context it deserves.

Hopefully not like.

You need to continue reading past the bit you have made bold.

Am I the only one who thinks the Riise signing would be a decent recruit.

Not the greatest left back ever to grace the premier league, but he has one hell of a shot on him and always looked decent for Liverpool.

Oh, not sure if this has been mentioned, but we are apparently after Darren Bent from Spuds as he is a little miffed at the arrival of Grandaddy Defoe.

nah mate, im with you too. lots of posters on here say players "aren't good enough for us" and then they either turn out well, or they change their minds later on. jimmy bullard being the recent example. once riise plays one good game, the kneejerkers will say he's the best thing going, JFK's a genius etc.

on a loan deal, i really dont see the problem. same with lovenkrands on a free........theyre not glamorous signings, but we need stop-gaps until the summer.

Hopefully not like.

:lol:

Guest toonlass

I am fine with Riise signing too. Lovenkrands I am not too sure off, he was ok at Rangers but not brilliant from what I saw.

Guest firetotheworks

Am I the only one who thinks the Riise signing would be a decent recruit.

Not the greatest left back ever to grace the premier league, but he has one hell of a shot on him and always looked decent for Liverpool.

Oh, not sure if this has been mentioned, but we are apparently after Darren Bent from Spuds as he is a little miffed at the arrival of Grandaddy Defoe.

Not anymore he doesn't. Getting Riise is the same as getting all the other players we've bought on reputation that are passed their prime. Duff, Smith, Geremi, Butt, Kluivert, Babayaro etc.

However getting him on loan would be a good move I feel. As long as we keep Enrique too.

From Bassong, Colo, Jonas and Guthrie, to Riise, Ferguson and Beattie, the contrast is horrible  :lol:

That's what happens when you let the manger have the final say over transfers ;)

FWIW I don't think getting Riise on loan would be such a bad move.  Most people want us to give Enrique a chance and that's exactly what that move would do, but it gives us cover if necessary.  Bring in what most people would call a better player than Riise and we can effectively say goodbye to Enrique.

Former-Rangers winger Peter Løvenkrands is expected to arrive at St. James' Park on Monday to finalise his transfer to the North-East. The Magpies are desperate to add numbers to an injury-hit squad, and Løvenkrands may be a safe bet considering he can be acquired on a free.

Løvenkrands has represented Denmark in 20 Internationals, and was a regular at the Ibrox before his coveted move to German giants Schalke o4. However, he has not been able to find his form with The Miners, and is now looking for a new club to ply his trade, with Newcastle in pole position to land him.

A move back to his old club Rangers is still on the cards, but Walter Smith is said not to be keen on re-signing the wingman.

Dennis Wise and his recruitment team are working to secure the Dane, while other targets are also being scouted, according to The Daily Mail.

If the transfer goes through, Løvenkrands would be Newcastle United's first signing of 2009.

http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=138600

BUT!

Now officially a free agent Peter Lovenkrands has confirmed reports that he will be training with former club Rangers.

The 28-year-old Danish winger originally left Glasgow two-years ago to jumpstart his career in the Bundesliga but things have not nearly gone according to plans. For months Lovenkrands has been publicly pining for a returning to Rangers and now, mere days after Schalke decided to release him, he is now a big step closer to getting his wish.

"It's true that I am on the way back to Rangers for training, but I clearly do not want to say any more on that," he was quoted as saying in sporten.dk.

"I am not prepared to make any comments on salary and such things, but I am definitely open for many things.

"Of course, Rangers could be a great club for me. I know the club well and still have a great relationship with the club's management as well as with the fans.

"But my agent and I will have to see what sort of offers are going to come by now."

Fulham have also been heavily linked with the Dane but it now looks very much that he will continue his career in Scotland.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/778/schalke/2009/01/09/1053058/lovenkrands-to-train-with-rangers

Lovenkrands pissed us about before he signed for Rangers, and he wants to use us now he's on hard times?

Former-Rangers winger Peter Løvenkrands is expected to arrive at St. James' Park on Monday to finalise his transfer to the North-East. The Magpies are desperate to add numbers to an injury-hit squad, and Løvenkrands may be a safe bet considering he can be acquired on a free.

Løvenkrands has represented Denmark in 20 Internationals, and was a regular at the Ibrox before his coveted move to German giants Schalke o4. However, he has not been able to find his form with The Miners, and is now looking for a new club to ply his trade, with Newcastle in pole position to land him.

A move back to his old club Rangers is still on the cards, but Walter Smith is said not to be keen on re-signing the wingman.

Dennis Wise and his recruitment team are working to secure the Dane, while other targets are also being scouted, according to The Daily Mail.

If the transfer goes through, Løvenkrands would be Newcastle United's first signing of 2009.

http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=138600

BUT!

Now officially a free agent Peter Lovenkrands has confirmed reports that he will be training with former club Rangers.

The 28-year-old Danish winger originally left Glasgow two-years ago to jumpstart his career in the Bundesliga but things have not nearly gone according to plans. For months Lovenkrands has been publicly pining for a returning to Rangers and now, mere days after Schalke decided to release him, he is now a big step closer to getting his wish.

"It's true that I am on the way back to Rangers for training, but I clearly do not want to say any more on that," he was quoted as saying in sporten.dk.

"I am not prepared to make any comments on salary and such things, but I am definitely open for many things.

"Of course, Rangers could be a great club for me. I know the club well and still have a great relationship with the club's management as well as with the fans.

"But my agent and I will have to see what sort of offers are going to come by now."

Fulham have also been heavily linked with the Dane but it now looks very much that he will continue his career in Scotland.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/778/schalke/2009/01/09/1053058/lovenkrands-to-train-with-rangers

Lovenkrands pissed us about before he signed for Rangers, and he wants to use us now he's on hard times?

If he can do a job for us on a short term deal then it's fair enough.  Yes he pissed us around, and its hard times for him, but its hard times for us as well...

Rangers can't afford his wages according to the Journal, so there may be some mileage in it. What's he like as a player, I don't really follow scottish football?

He was a really quick winger in his pomp has had a few knocks so not sure if he still has that pace.

Rangers can't afford his wages according to the Journal, so there may be some mileage in it. What's he like as a player, I don't really follow scottish football?

He was a really quick winger in his pomp has had a few knocks so not sure if he still has that pace.

Sounds like a 'meh...' signing.

sorry to piss on your chips lads but Newcastle United have never in their entire history signed top quality footballers from other top clubs like other top clubs do or appointed top managers from other top clubs do either until the last 16 years.

Hopefully not like.

So whats your point?

back to the days of acting like a 2nd rate club at best.

You've kept these feelings quiet. You should tell us about them sometime.

We have to be realistic in that the likes of Riise are the best signings that we can expect to make. As usual in the January transfer window, the prices for the players on the next level are just stupid. I mean - £15 million for Defoe? £18 million (allegedly) for Santa Cruz?

Guest sicko2ndbest

“People talk about the need for getting a replacement, but it is difficult to replace quality players just like that.

“I would love to go out and sign the big stars, but we are not in a position to do that right now.

“The credit crunch has hit Mike Ashley pretty hard and we are identifying the players who we can get.

“At the moment I just wish I could sign them, because progress is so slow in the transfer window.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/10/joe-i-hope-it-s-not-bye-beye-72703-22663083/

http://www.equipe.fr/Football/breves2009/20090110_092235_givet-a-blackburn-lundi.html

Givet to Blackburn on Monday, and it's between us & Blackburn for Modeste M'Bami.

Anyone got a translation?

The Equipe indicates, Saturday, that Gaël Givet will go in England Monday to finalize, if need be, his ready one to Blackburn.  The English club does the forcing since the week environment to obtain the arrival of the French ex-international.  Pope Diouf would not be opposed to this departure.  The English club, writes also THE Equipe, has of the aimed on Modest M'Bami, equally tracked by Newcastle. 

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.equipe.fr/Football/breves2009/20090110_092235_givet-a-blackburn-lundi.html

Givet to Blackburn on Monday, and it's between us & Blackburn for Modeste M'Bami.

Anyone got a translation?

The Equipe indicates, Saturday, that Gaël Givet will go in England Monday to finalize, if need be, his ready one to Blackburn.  The English club does the forcing since the week environment to obtain the arrival of the French ex-international.  Pope Diouf would not be opposed to this departure.  The English club, writes also THE Equipe, has of the aimed on Modest M'Bami, equally tracked by Newcastle. 

Thanks

Fuck all then really! :(