The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Got a text live on air confirming Michael Johnson isn't going anywhere.  Wouldn't say who it was from.

Blatantly wasn't. He looked embarrassed, like it was off his wife or something. Even the guys in the studio laughed.

5.9m!!!!

Newcastle United sweat on N'Zogbia deal

Feb 2 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Charles N'Zogbia

JOE KINNEAR has revealed that a last-gasp plea to Shay Given to stay at Newcastle United failed to pay off.

The Ireland goalkeeper has signed for Manchester City and a fee of £5.9m is believed to have been agreed with installments over four-and-a-half years by City and United.

Kinnear was hopeful that Ryan Taylor’s switch from Wigan would be completed before today’s tea-time deadline.

But although Taylor trained with United today, after passing a medical over the weekend, his move hinges on Chalres ‘Zogbia moving in the other direction for what could be a record £6m fee for the Latics.

N’Zogbia – whose slow progress in negotiating with the Latics has left United facing a race against time – was at Villa Park to watch Wigan’s 0-0 draw with Aston Villa and on the verge of ending his unhappy stint on Tyneside.

Sources in the East Midlands today were suggesting that United were trying to snatch left-back Daniel Fox from Coventry.

The 22-year-old played under Academy director Richard Money in his Walsall days and signed from the Saddlers in 2008 after starting his career with Everton.

Kinnear was also looking to sign a striker, with St Etienne star Bafetimbi Gomis again mooted, and admitted that a late bid for Liverpool defender Sami Hyppia had been blocked by the Reds.

But after the Sunderland game, the Toon boss admitted he was braced for a tough day in the office before the transfer window slammed shut.

Kinnear told the Chronicle: “I wanted Shay to stay here.

“He knows that and he knows that I bent over backwards to keep him here because he is a top goalkeeper and so popular with the fans.

“But I wish him all the best for the future.

“He wanted a new challenge and in the end we couldn’t stop him from going for that.

“We hope to sign two more players on deadline day who I regard as big enough players to play for Newcastle.”

And speaking on N’Zogbia’s exit, Kinnear said: “We hope it goes through.

“It’s not a big fear for me to be stuck with unhappy players. I think it will go through but even if it didn’t I always look back to Wimbledon.

"Back then I had 10-12 unhappy players at Wimbledon.

“If you’ve had an unhappy Vinnie Jones and John Fashanu, you can handle anything.”

Meanwhile, a Wigan source said: “Charles needs to get through his medical and agree personal terms.

“But Wigan hope to get that sorted this afternoon.”

5.9m!!!!

Newcastle United sweat on N'Zogbia deal

Feb 2 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Charles N'Zogbia

JOE KINNEAR has revealed that a last-gasp plea to Shay Given to stay at Newcastle United failed to pay off.

The Ireland goalkeeper has signed for Manchester City and a fee of £5.9m is believed to have been agreed with installments over four-and-a-half years by City and United.

Kinnear was hopeful that Ryan Taylor’s switch from Wigan would be completed before today’s tea-time deadline.

But although Taylor trained with United today, after passing a medical over the weekend, his move hinges on Chalres ‘Zogbia moving in the other direction for what could be a record £6m fee for the Latics.

N’Zogbia – whose slow progress in negotiating with the Latics has left United facing a race against time – was at Villa Park to watch Wigan’s 0-0 draw with Aston Villa and on the verge of ending his unhappy stint on Tyneside.

Sources in the East Midlands today were suggesting that United were trying to snatch left-back Daniel Fox from Coventry.

The 22-year-old played under Academy director Richard Money in his Walsall days and signed from the Saddlers in 2008 after starting his career with Everton.

Kinnear was also looking to sign a striker, with St Etienne star Bafetimbi Gomis again mooted, and admitted that a late bid for Liverpool defender Sami Hyppia had been blocked by the Reds.

But after the Sunderland game, the Toon boss admitted he was braced for a tough day in the office before the transfer window slammed shut.

Kinnear told the Chronicle: “I wanted Shay to stay here.

“He knows that and he knows that I bent over backwards to keep him here because he is a top goalkeeper and so popular with the fans.

“But I wish him all the best for the future.

“He wanted a new challenge and in the end we couldn’t stop him from going for that.

“We hope to sign two more players on deadline day who I regard as big enough players to play for Newcastle.”

And speaking on N’Zogbia’s exit, Kinnear said: “We hope it goes through.

“It’s not a big fear for me to be stuck with unhappy players. I think it will go through but even if it didn’t I always look back to Wimbledon.

"Back then I had 10-12 unhappy players at Wimbledon.

“If you’ve had an unhappy Vinnie Jones and John Fashanu, you can handle anything.”

Meanwhile, a Wigan source said: “Charles needs to get through his medical and agree personal terms.

“But Wigan hope to get that sorted this afternoon.”

Cheap bastards

Guest johnson293

"a fee of £5.9m is believed to have been agreed with installments over four-and-a-half years"

So is that £5.9m over 4.5 years, or £5.9m down, and top-ups over the next 4.5 years??

Either way, think we should have held out for more/all of it up front, or bring the player back.

Been on the field since abut 9 with the dog just got back in was hoping we had made some progress, should have known better.

You have been walking the dog for nearly 4 hours!!!

Walking it for 3, dragging it for the other hour.

Published Date: 02 February 2009

E-mail Miles Starforth

JOE Kinnear is hoping to tie up a transfer deadline day deal for left-back Daniel Fox.

Newcastle United were today understood to be in talks with the 22-year-old's club, Coventry City.

The former England Under-21 international, who started his career at Everton, joined Coventry a year ago from Walsall, and is rated in the £1m-bracket.

Fox played under Newcastle's Academy director Richard Money during his three years at the Bescott Stadium.

Kinnear was also hoping to rubber-stamp right-back Ryan Taylor's move from Wigan Athletic, with the deal hinging on Charles N'Zogbia's move the other way.

Meanwhile, Manchester City midfielder Michael Johnson was again linked with a switch to United.

Why on EARTH would we ever wait so long to try to do these sort of deals (whether they are half-decent players or not is another matter).  What is wrong with January 1st or January 2nd? (rather than February 1st or February 2nd)???

The same reason it happens for everyone. It's the way the market works.

No, that is an over-simplification.

As with anything in life, the more capable get things sorted out sooner.

Our club no longer possesses people of sufficient capability, which is obvious on the pitch, but is equally obvious through all levels of management and ownership.

We are classic 'also-rans' (by design and intention, now) and I hear that the tea-lady is pretty crap too!

This window has been shocking so far selling our best players and bringing in players who have not had a good game in over 2 years, so depressing.

This Fox guy sounds a world beater.

Selling our best players?.. Zog? :lol:  He's one of the most under achieving player we've had for a long time.  When was the last time Zog had a good game?, I really can't remember.  I've just breathed a sigh of relief when I heard he's having his medical, we get a player who'll be much more useful to us plus £6 million, Wigan have been mugged!

Can't argue Given was one of our best, but considering we have Harper the blow is minimal at most.  Plus he handed in a transfer request so there's nothing we could do.

IMO the transfers so far (Given\Zog out and Nolan\Taylor in) have made us a bit stronger already, with £10 million created from those transfers as well.  Now I just hope we use that money and a bit extra to strengthen further.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Been on the field since abut 9 with the dog just got back in was hoping we had made some progress, should have known better.

You have been walking the dog for nearly 4 hours!!!

did you walk it to Leeds?