mackems 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 25/10/08 - post-match depression from page 18

Dave

I was more disappointed it was nil points than the team it happened against. They did appear to be far more up for it than us but there wasn't too much difference between the teams I though that we made a decent start tot he second-half but Jones coming on for them definitely troubled both Taylor and Coloccini and the uncertainty spread through the team; he is a very effective player.

Three of our next four games are against teams who, if we beat them, could replace us in the bottom three.

I was more disappointed it was nil points than the team it happened against. They did appear to be far more up for it than us but there wasn't too much difference between the teams I though that we made a decent start tot he second-half but Jones coming on for them definitely troubled both Taylor and Coloccini and the uncertainty spread through the team; he is a very effective player.

Three of our next four games are against teams who, if we beat them, could replace us in the bottom three.

you're either not a geordie or still pissed, stupid comment

Fucking mackem apes - on the plus side I did get to see one of them getting eaten by a police dog before the game, nom nom nom nom.

Took me two hours to get back to humanity by metro and I nearly got crushed against a wall by a horses arse.

Keane battered Kinnear tactically yesterday.

Having 3 in the middle allowed them to dictate the possession and tempo of the game. They had to sacrifice a forward to do it but Cisse played brilliantly and was a handful all game. Guthrie getting booked after 4 minutes meant he couldn't be as aggressive and Butt clearly wasn't 100%. The could attack down both flanks and had runners through the middle.

Ameobi and Martins up front should have been an advantage for us but they couldn't link up together and struggled to hold it up as Yorke dropped off to pick up the bits and pieces from their dismal displays. Their movement was shocking. :(

Once they changed it and brought Jones on they were in complete control and could have scored more than they did. Barton and Gutierrez should have been on much sooner if they were to change things.

Thought the referee was good too - no complaints there.

Having 3 in the middle allowed them to dictate the possession and tempo of the game. They had to sacrifice a forward to do it but Cisse played brilliantly and was a handful all game. Guthrie getting booked after 4 minutes meant he couldn't be as aggressive and Butt clearly wasn't 100%. The could attack down both flanks and had runners through the middle.

Ameobi and Martins up front should have been an advantage for us but they couldn't link up together and struggled to hold it up as Yorke dropped off to pick up the bits and pieces from their dismal displays. Their movement was shocking. :(

Once they changed it and brought Jones on they were in complete control and could have scored more than they did. Barton and Gutierrez should have been on much sooner if they were to change things.

Lets be fair they did NOT batter us.

I thought we shaded the first half due to finishing it the stronger side and went into the break looking the more likely team to win.

Second half they were definitely better and probably deserved their victory.

Ref handled it pretty well.

Lets be fair they did NOT batter us.

I thought we shaded the first half due to finishing it the stronger side and went into the break looking the more likely team to win.

Second half they were definitely better and probably deserved their victory.

Ref handled it pretty well.

I said Keane battered Kinnear tactically.  :thup:

Jonas LOOKS good when he's on the ball, but I've yet to see him do/cause any damage in the opposing penalty area

What? Every time he plays he delivers plenty into the box, its not his fault that no one's there to finish them off.

He has only ONCE put over a cross that reached an unmarked Newcastle player in the opponents' box - and that was before he got injured ; YES, he carries the ball well up to the area but his final ball is often lacking in direction or accuracy - he should also be trying to get into shooting positions himself, esp as he knows we are limited in both numbers and quality up front ; he's an Argentine International, for goodness' sake..

it wouldnt be so bad, but they'll be selling posters and tshirts of this for 20 years to come

What, "one win in 29 years"..?  I wouldn't have thought so :)

''2 wins in 42 years''

If that is correct, 2 wins in 42 years, they really need that rubbing in their faces.

it wouldnt be so bad, but they'll be selling posters and tshirts of this for 20 years to come

''2 wins in 42 years''

If that is correct, 2 wins in 42 years, they really need that rubbing in their faces.

2008, 1980, 1967.

2009 will be 42 years. 2 wins

''2 wins in 42 years''

2008, 1980, 1967.

2009 will be 42 years. 2 wins

S'pose so if we're in the Championship  :-[

The better team won. Taylor fucking nee where for the 1st goal. If Geremi had whacked the ball away when he had the chance in the build up to Butt tripping some cunt, we may have got a draw.

All 3 of them lads who came on as subs yesterday need to start against WBA.

Guest The Corner

Jonas LOOKS good when he's on the ball, but I've yet to see him do/cause any damage in the opposing penalty area

What? Every time he plays he delivers plenty into the box, its not his fault that no one's there to finish them off.

He has only ONCE put over a cross that reached an unmarked Newcastle player in the opponents' box - and that was before he got injured ; YES, he carries the ball well up to the area but his final ball is often lacking in direction or accuracy - he should also be trying to get into shooting positions himself, esp as he knows we are limited in both numbers and quality up front ; he's an Argentine International, for goodness' sake..

wheres the need to have a go at Jonas in this thread, he wasn't on the pitch long enough to break a sweat man. He hasn't even played 5 games yet so i think the needlessly critcal judgement should be reserved until we see a bit more of him.

Some snippets from A Love Supreme - I found them funny.

In my lifetime, I’ve seen us beat them up the road several times. Up the road being the operative phrase in that sentence, and I was hoyed out of the spring chicken club a considerable a good few years ago. Since that day in 1980, when I was at work (at probably the second worst job I’ve had the misfortune to have had) and only managed half of the home games that season, I’ve got married, stayed in the same job for almost 28 years, owned twelve cars, run twenty-odd half marathons, countless 10ks, and two marathons, had several near-death experiences, and raised to children to adulthood. They’ve never seen us beat the buggers at home, and neither have I.Way back when it happened, I was in a shitty job and equally shitty frame of mind, making my music of the moment, Joy Division, fantastically appropriate. Since then I’ve travelled far and wide through many different times, and seen Sunderland directionless, so plain to see, Sunderland shirts in different shades, over each mistakes were made. We gave them everything and more.

Don’t walk away, pleaded Ian Curtis in his Mancunian drawl. A few weeks after Stan Cummins did the trick for SAFC, Ian Curtis did for himself in his kitchen, with the aid of a piece of rope and clothes airer. Not the most romantic of exits from this mortal coil, but there you go. That was the end of him, and that was the end of Sunderland beating the mags on Wearside until 2008. Why? Nobody knows, as there have been numerous games from which we should have emerged triumphant. Your confusion, my illusion.

I, like thousands of others, didn’t walk away from SAFC in the intervening years, despite there being numerous occasions when any shrink on the planet would have accepted that it was a perfectly valid thing to do. A lifetime later, in what could be happily described as a mature stage of life (physically if not mentally), I’ve had the butterflies that always migrate to my stomach prior to any game against the barcodes, but in huge numbers when it’s a home game. I know I should be beyond that, but I’m not.

Nervous, nervous, nervous, meant a quiet night in and an early start. Stupid kick-off at 12:45 meant that distant fans had a hell of a time getting to Wearside, while those of us living relatively local saw it as a challenge to spend at least as much time in the pub as we did for a normal kick-off. So the week was filled with message of breakfast-time bar opening, and beer for breakfast for many. We of a sensible nature, and already worked up to a frenzy with thoughts of the game to come, opted for a FEB. Sausage, beans, eggs, back, the original Full Monty, before a quick pint (well, it would have been rude not to, what with them having opened up just after they’d closed) and onto the bus.

I was lucky that I had a couple of Chelsea tickets to pick up and therefore no chance of any more beer in Sunderland, so I was seated and back on my feet in a frenzy way before the wall of sound erupted. £600 lighter, courtesy of having picked up ALL of the Chelsea tickets, I still had to shell out for our Ian’s beer and the taxi from Bish (having over-refreshed myself and slept in). As it turned out, £600 well spent. After collecting the tickets, we joined the scrum in the Colliery (I paid again, it’s the bairn’s birthday on Monday) then hit the SoL at the ridiculously early hour of twenty minutes before the fun began. As atmospheres go, today’s was right up there with the best. Take that, Paul Merson.

After the early news that Gordon had turned his ankle, it was no surprise and no real problem to see Fulop in goal, with the rest being....

Chimbo Anton Danny George

Richo Deano York Diooooof Steed

Cisse

It was a fairly frantic and fast game for the first 20 minutes, but without the added irritation factor of the mags getting into our box. We fired a couple harmlessly wide before the ball came in low from the right, passed the hilariously stupid Steven Taylor, and found Cisse at the back post. Out went his leg, in went the ball, up went the crowd. Unlike our past incarnations, we kept at them (which wasn’t that difficult, given how shite they really are) and Richo fired just wide of their right hand post from distance. What was that I said about us not being like our former selves? Come 29 minutes, in came the Toon to our box for the first time, and in went the header for a crap equaliser. Ten minutes later we had what I thought was a good shout for a penalty when Cisse looked to have been pushed, but we got nowt, as usual. In the minute added, we continued to dominate, and if there was any sort of justice in terms of stats (number of times in the box) we’d have been 10 -3 up when the whistle went.

No changes at the break, and we kept pushing at them. Taylor cemented his position as the stupidest person ever to pull on a football shirt with the most obvious handball since Tommy saved the penalty at Sid James Park. Unfortunately, we hit the free-kick wide of the far post. Jones replaced Yorke on 57, and we kept at them with added Kenwyne. Richo played Cisse in, but the wind took the ball that vital inch away from Djib’s toe-end and the chance was gone. Again we played our way into the danger area, with Steed , Diouf, and Richo combining for Keyring to shoot just wide. On 67, Steed looked to have a good chance, but miscued and then Diouf burst into the box only to be felled. Looked well in the box to me, but the ref gave the free on the edge (chicken). Up stepped dead-eye Richo, a change of speed, a change of style, to keep the ball beneath the wind and into the net for one of the great all-time derby day goals. Ooooh yer bugger, get in.

While the crowd were still bouncing, Cisse got off a shot that he had no right to and watched as it zipped a foot over the top, then they brought on the dead funny Spaniard with the hair, we sat back a bit, and started to make hard work of things. Cisse bucked the trend by finding space for a shot that beat Given and did a Richo off the post. How did the wind not blow it in? With 5 to go, Teemu replaced Steed and did what he does best – slow the game down. With Reid on for the last couple of minutes, pus the three that the ref added, it was us pushing forward as the game died off. When the whistle went, I can honestly say that it was the best I’ve felt after an individual game since 5/5/73. I’ve never hugged so many random almost-strangers in my life. Weight off our backs, mobile going bizwack for the next hour, staying in Sunderland to cuddle even more people I barely know. Yippee. Isn’t it great to be a Sunderland fan?

I travelled far and wide through many different times. They had tears in their eyes. Ha Ha.

So we’ll share a drink and step outside.

Man of the Match? Hard one, this. Anton was superb at the back, and Richo scored a belter, but I’ll have to give it to Cisse for the way he rose to the occasion and took the game to the unwashed. Who are still waiting for the sprinklers to come on for their yearly wash as I write. Ron has just rung, on his way to his niece’s wedding in Low Fell, to say that he’s currently following the dirty mag convoy back towards the hovels of Tyneside. What fun he’ll have at the reception.

Keep the faith

and also

"I woke up this morning having dreamt that the lads turned the over scum at the SOL this afternoon. I lay in bed for a bit (next to a lingerie model) thinking of what it would feel like. I’ve never seen us beat the Mags in person before, but as I lay there this morning I remember thinking it would probably be the best day of my life.

Thankfully my dream came true and yet again we played the scum off the park but this time managed to stick the ball in the net. Djibril Cisse and Kieran Richardson have made themselves Wearside legends as the lads beat the old enemy 2-1.

With derby games against the scum looking destined to always kick off early doors in an attempt to curb trouble, I found myself questioning whether this measure makes any difference in stopping alcohol related bother. For instance I knew of a few lads getting to Mowbray Park at half eight this morning with a few cans before getting in Weatherspoons at 9am. Then at eleven o clock I saw a couple of lads swigging bottles of wine each in the Glass Spider as if they were sipping bottles of Evian at the gym. My point is does the early kick off inspire people to make more of an effort to get mortal before the game?

Either way it made for a cracking atmosphere in a sold out SOL.

There were a few surprises in the starting eleven with Craig Gordon presumably suffering a late injury and being replaced by Marton Fulop. In front of him a back four of Ringo, Ferdinand, Collins and Chimbo. Ahead of them Malbranque started on the right with Richardson on the left. Dwight Yorke was the surprise inclusion in midfield alongside Dean Whitehead. Up front El Hadji Diouf started alongside Cisse.

We started ok but the windy conditions suited the mags tactics of hoofing long balls to Ameobi. We got a few dangerous crosses into their box from Malbranque but failed to get anyone on the end of them. The Scum’s best effort on goal came from a free kick which Geremi blasted into the wall.

We took the lead after twenty minutes when Cisse turned in a mishit Malbranque shot. Cisse used his brain and dropped off Taylor and Coloccini and made space for himself to poke the ball home, and somersaulted in joy along with the rest of the SOL.

Newcastle equalised just before the break when Ameobi headed in from a cross. However after seeing his second half performance I wonder whether he actually intended to head the ball back across goal rather than over the line.

After Marco had made the half time lottery draw we set about destroying the barcodes. We set up camp in their half but didn’t capitalise on the amount of possession we had. With half hour left to play big Kenwyne made his return to first team action in place of Dwight Yorke.

With twenty minutes left to play El Hadji Diouf demonstrated the quality Sunderland no w possesses. He ghosted past what seemed like 100 Scum defenders before being hacked down cynically on the edge of the box. The position of the free kick was perfect but with Rico being so unlucky against Fulham last time out we wondered whether he could again produce the goods. Well he did by blasting an unstoppable free kick into the top left hand corner. There was no attempt to curl or place the shot; it was a case of absolutely lacing the leather off the ball and nearly bursting the net.

Now a word about Pope John Joey, who when warming up incited the Sunderland crowd by kissing his shirt in the same way I imagine he kissed arse in prison to some big tough guy. This was almost embarrassing, as was the way the unwashed welcomed his return by chanting his name and cheering as if Fernando Torres was warming up for them. I couldn’t think of a club more suitable for him to be fair.

Sunderland saw the game out with considerable ease thanks to Shola Ameobi who did magnificently in thwarting any Newcastle attacks. His clearing of the ball for goal kicks when in dangerous positions or losing the ball whilst in possession made him a contender for man of the match.

In fact we should have won the game by more as Sunderland ended the game well on top. Cisse came the closest when he fired a shot from twenty five yards but he was again denied by the woodwork as the ball struck the foot of the post.

The full time whistle was greeted with chaotic scenes as a few fans invaded the pitch in excitement. Chimbonda came over to the West Stand and threw his shirt to the fans and it was nice to see that the lads really knew that the result meant something to the fans.

ALS Man of the Match: Steed Malbranque. Was different class all afternoon. Was as brilliant as Shola Ameobi was useless (which is high praise).

They've even printed T-shirts as well.

http://www.a-love-supreme.com/index.htm

Guest elbee909

"Newcastle equalised just before the break when Ameobi headed in from a cross. However after seeing his second half performance I wonder whether he actually intended to head the ball back across goal rather than over the line."

Yeah, like the shot from Malbranque that fortunately turned into a cross for their first, you mean?

Twat.

Why get worked up about anything they have to say? They are at the peak of their powers. We, on the other hand, have the potential to be so much more. They realised their potential on saturday in beating us, they have nowhere else to go now. 

wheres the need to have a go at Jonas in this thread, he wasn't on the pitch long enough to break a sweat man. He hasn't even played 5 games yet so i think the needlessly critcal judgement should be reserved until we see a bit more of him.

Its a general judgment on his total appearances, not just this match - and don't forget how many goals he got for his previous club - 2 last season, wasn't it.!??

f***ing wankers have plastered my desk at work with newspaper pullouts from Saturday.  :angry:

Be philosophical. We take beating them for granted - so although we enjoy it we wouldn't get that excited. For them it's the pinnacle of their club's ambition and achievement - we should be flattered really.

There again if you can't be philosophical you could just stick the head on the tw@ts !