Newcastle United 2 - 1 West Brom - 28/10/08 - post match reaction from page 24

Dave

Guest timmy boy

I would feel much better with Jonas on the left helping Jose out and Duff on the right with beye

Good balance there

Depends who we are playing, against Villa we will need Jonas on the right to help double up on Young.

Hope that performance by Gutierrez puts to bed the "Owen is out best player, we'll not get someone as good as him for a long, long time" comments. Different positions, different players, but he looks at the very least to be in the same calibre.

Despite the goal, put Owen in that side tonight instead of Martins, and I think we've got the winning formula.

Owen and Ameobi, frightening pace

Hope that performance by Gutierrez puts to bed the "Owen is out best player, we'll not get someone as good as him for a long, long time" comments. Different positions, different players, but he looks at the very least to be in the same calibre.

Despite the goal, put Owen in that side tonight instead of Martins, and I think we've got the winning formula.

How about we try to include our two most frequent scorers? Don't really know how but you don't drop Martins... even on a bad day, he pushes the defense back - he's massively important.

An awful lot of 'we' being used by Bobby Lee.

:laugh:

Do you mean Rob Lee?Yeah I noticed that as well.Seems very passionate about us still the way he was talking before the game.Would love too see him back in a coaching role of some sort

Could at least drive our new signings from the airport to the ground in a limo he happens to find lying about the place.

Guest kingdawson

Wathed the entire first half and think you lot are playing some good stuff. The west brom right back (donk or zuvirloon?) is having an absolute torrid time. No one on your end is having a bad game apart from taylor who was at fault for morrisons chance and slipped for another brom chance.

On the whole your probably right, but I swear Martins is just so random it causes so much havoc.  :lol:

We definitely want one of them upfront with a target man.

Shola has had his funny moments but he has been dominant in the air and quite effective overall. It's been so long since we last had some decent target man play.

You see the team like this and we aren't that far away, providing people are fit that is.

How about we try to include our two most frequent scorers? Don't really know how but you don't drop Martins... even on a bad day, he pushes the defense back - he's massively important.

dont think owen and shola have got enough pace. people said owen and viduka would be perfect but that was a shit partnership for the same reason. i wonder how Shola would do in viduka's 4-3-3 role though, replacing Geremi with Jonas at right mid

Wathed the entire first half and think you lot are playing some good stuff. The west brom right back (donk or zuvirloon?) is habing an absolute torrid time. No one on your end is having a bad game apart from taylor who was at fault for morrisons chance and slipped for another brom chance.

I can't even begin to imagine where Taylor was on that chance for West Brom?! Frightening stuff.

What you gain in Martins' 'pace' you lose in general intelligence, anticipating flick ons, passing and moving etc.

Love Shearer to get a hold of him. One on one training twice a week for a year.

Going forward look very good, Jona simmense, Duff , effective and as good as hes been for us, barton combative and leading well. CH  pairing still frail for me, or  maybe just not played enough to have understanding of each other?

Barring Taylor inexplicably disappearing for the chance they should really have buried, I think they've done alright. I know what you mean though, just never feel solid. Chopping and changing all the time doesn't help like.

Where the hell was he there like?

I think he's been very good this half except for that though.

Enrique looks great defending, but is not good enough on the ball, IMO. That might be good enough for me at the moment though, we need to not concede two goals a game for a while.

aye didnt mean to sound too critical, think with time maybe Colo is partner taylor has needed to help bring him along..just worries me at times, especially when they/one of em  step up and seem to be not communicating/understanding each other as well as they might....hopefully a long run together and a settled back 4 and midfield will help... :celb:

Guest Stephen927

MacDonald now talking about West Brom should never have let Kevin Phillips go as he's guaranteed 20-25 goals a season at any level.

What you gain in Martins' 'pace' you lose in general intelligence, anticipating flick ons, passing and moving etc.

He makes space for others though. Not saying he's great, but he adds another dimension to our play and we need as much of that as we can get.