Newcastle United 2 - 1 West Brom - 28/10/08 - post match reaction from page 24

Dave

I've read a couple of pages and no one seems to have pointed out that we were passed off the park by WBA, if they had had any sort of cutting edge we would have been in serious trouble. Villa won't be as toothless.

And I don't like that Shay has been told to punt it up field at every opportunity. I know Shola has been doing all right in the air, and has been winning his share of knock ons but Oba isn't the best at anticipating the knock on and we produce very little. Under Keegan we played from the back more often than not and I feel that we need to mix it up a bit more.

We certainly need some more carpet football, we played like the away team yesterday.  I never understand how Given doesn't grasp the fact that if he plays it to a defender we can build and keep the ball, if he punts it, 9 out of 10 times the opposition win it back.

Geez, if we could ever get our best eleven fit and playing together for more than a few games we'd be more likely to keep the ball down.  I thought the first half was a definite step in the right direction.  Overall the team played with more confidence offensively and better overall defensively except for some lapses.  I thought Duff played well and I have a definite man crush on Jonas  :smitten:  For a player with such a long stride, he does a great job keeping the ball on his feet. Both he and Martins have great pace and can play with some physicality which is a nice combo, IMO. Shola was better and I think a Barton - Guthrie central midfield could work.  Beye played quite well too.  Taylor, Colo and Enrique had some lapses that could have cost us though but they also made some progress until the second half when the whole team played safe too early and gave away all the momentum to WBA.  A better group of finishers would have won that game.

Still it's 3 points and a positive move forward.  The team needs to build on this game though. 

Geez, if we could ever get our best eleven fit and playing together for more than a few games we'd be more likely to keep the ball down.  I thought the first half was a definite step in the right direction.  Overall the team played with more confidence offensively and better overall defensively except for some lapses. 

The team out there last night was one Michael Owen away from our best eleven, imo (maybe Duff/Taylor out but we're splitting hairs). And we did play the ball on the floor and seriously took the game to the opposition, played some really nice, attacking stuff and scored two goals. We were hardly in fifth gear either, imo.

What Keegan could have done with this collection of players. :(

I've read a couple of pages and no one seems to have pointed out that we were passed off the park by WBA, if they had had any sort of cutting edge we would have been in serious trouble. Villa won't be as toothless.

And I don't like that Shay has been told to punt it up field at every opportunity. I know Shola has been doing all right in the air, and has been winning his share of knock ons but Oba isn't the best at anticipating the knock on and we produce very little. Under Keegan we played from the back more often than not and I feel that we need to mix it up a bit more.

We certainly need some more carpet football, we played like the away team yesterday.  I never understand how Given doesn't grasp the fact that if he plays it to a defender we can build and keep the ball, if he punts it, 9 out of 10 times the opposition win it back.

The point is Given does what his manager tells him to do regarding distribution. JK wants him to hoof it whilst KK wanted him to play it short most of the time.

That's the problem for West Brom though, yes the pass it around nicely, but it's ineffective, they are not good enough to hurt teams, that's why I think they be heading back down come the end of the season.

In our postion right now we need effective football not pretty pretty stuff, the first half for me was fine, entertaining stuff we had a cutting edge to our play, a little bit more quality and we could have been further ahead at the half. The 2nd we sat back too much for me and allowed them back into the game.

The setanta commentor said something on the lines of "Newcastle are under constant pressure from West Brom" TBH that was a load of baloney because outside of the goal they created very few clear cut openings.

Bit late but here go's:

Given- 7 Nothing to do but one very good save.

Beye- 7 One of our best players, good night

Coloccini- 7 Another good game

Taylor- 6 Looked uncomfortable all night IMO

Enrique- 7 Looked strong on the ball, good to see him being picked.

Jonas- 6.5 Had a couple of great runs in the first half but faded in the second

Barton- 8 It will have been said already

Guthrie- 6 Worked hard, never grabbed the game by the scruff like Barton

Duff- 7 Not MOM but still better than last season, needs get in behind more often

Martins- 7 Got his goal and was caused problems with his pace. Inconsistant passing

Ameobi- 7 Won the pen, won headers, gave fouls away and was offside too much

Bit late but here go's:

Duff- 7 Not MOM but still better than last season, needs get in behind more often

Martins- 7 Got his goal and was caused problems with his pace. Inconsistant passing

watched a diffrent match to me.

Bit late but here go's:

Good, intelligent comment as usual. BTW i was watching the one at SJP last night, from the milburn paddock and you?

Bit late but here go's:

Aye am supprised at a few of those ratings.

Given- 7 Nothing to do but one very good save. - 6 should not have come out for the ball on their goal was never going to get there

Beye- 7 One of our best players, good night- cannot argue with that

Coloccini- 7 Another good game - 6  hmm got turned, maybe could have got to the ball for their goal

Taylor- 6 Looked uncomfortable all night IMO - 5 as he always does

Enrique- 7 Looked strong on the ball, good to see him being picked. - 5 go's on the wander all the time NO FAITH IN HIM

Jonas- 6.5 Had a couple of great runs in the first half but faded in the second - 7 made the difference to us not match fit did really well

Barton- 8 It will have been said already - 7 played well not fit

Guthrie- 6 Worked hard, never grabbed the game by the scruff like Barton- 7 does his job no complaints

Duff- 7 Not MOM but still better than last season, needs get in behind more often- 6 needs the ball more and a little bit more bottle

Martins- 7 Got his goal and was caused problems with his pace. Inconsistant passing - worked hard al night, getting fitter

Ameobi- 7 Won the pen, won headers, gave fouls away and was offside too much - 5 worked hard but is cluless

(Second half ratings in brackets):

Given ... 7 ... (6)

Beye ... 8 ... (8)

Taylor ... 7 ... (6)

Coloccini ... 7 ... (6)

Enrique ... 6 ... (6)

Jonas ... 8 ... (6)

Guthrie ... 7 ... (5)

Barton ... 7 ... (5)

Duff ... 6 ... (5)

Martins ... 6 ... (5)

Shola ... 8 ... (5)

Biggest drops were from Barton, Guthrie and Shola. Barton and Guthrie i felt for, the ball was 50 yards above their head for every single attack we mustered. Plus i mean, West Brom did dominate possession on the floor, too - which doesn't say much for our centre-mid. Shola was simply horrendously unfit by the time the second half wore on.

Given ... 7 ... (6)

Beye ... 8 ... (8)

Taylor ... 7 ... (6)

Coloccini ... 7 ... (6)

Enrique ... 6 ... (6)

Jonas ... 8 ... (6)

Guthrie ... 7 ... (5)

Barton ... 7 ... (5)

Duff ... 6 ... (5)

Martins ... 6 ... (5)

Shola ... 8 ... (5)

Biggest drops were from Barton, Guthrie and Shola. Barton and Guthrie i felt for, the ball was 50 yards above their head for every single attack we mustered. Plus i mean, West Brom did dominate possession on the floor, too - which doesn't say much for our centre-mid. Shola was simply horrendously unfit by the time the second half wore on.

Really? Even in the first half he wasn't all that good. (Unless you rate players compared to their level of ability) Shola was decent last night.

Bit late but here go's:

Aye am supprised at a few of those ratings.

Given- 7 Nothing to do but one very good save. - 6 should not have come out for the ball on their goal was never going to get there

Beye- 7 One of our best players, good night- cannot argue with that

Coloccini- 7 Another good game - 6  hmm got turned, maybe could have got to the ball for their goal

Taylor- 6 Looked uncomfortable all night IMO - 5 as he always does

Enrique- 7 Looked strong on the ball, good to see him being picked. - 5 go's on the wander all the time NO FAITH IN HIM

Jonas- 6.5 Had a couple of great runs in the first half but faded in the second - 7 made the difference to us not match fit did really well

Barton- 8 It will have been said already - 7 played well not fit

Guthrie- 6 Worked hard, never grabbed the game by the scruff like Barton- 7 does his job no complaints

Duff- 7 Not MOM but still better than last season, needs get in behind more often- 6 needs the ball more and a little bit more bottle

Martins- 7 Got his goal and was caused problems with his pace. Inconsistant passing - worked hard al night, getting fitter

Ameobi- 7 Won the pen, won headers, gave fouls away and was offside too much - 5 worked hard but is cluless

Given had no choice but to come out, as a keeper being one on one there is nothing else you can do but try and narrow the angle, otherwise the striker has the whole goal to aim at

Given ... 7 ... (6)

Beye ... 8 ... (8)

Taylor ... 7 ... (6)

Coloccini ... 7 ... (6)

Enrique ... 6 ... (6)

Jonas ... 8 ... (6)

Guthrie ... 7 ... (5)

Barton ... 7 ... (5)

Duff ... 6 ... (5)

Martins ... 6 ... (5)

Shola ... 8 ... (5)

Really? Even in the first half he wasn't all that good. (Unless you rate players compared to their level of ability) Shola was decent last night.

I thought he barely put a foot wrong in the first half tbh, was a constant nuisance to the centre-backs. Came wide effectively, turned a couple of players and made some decent passes. His headers were fairly well conceived in the first half aswell, he put Martins through on goal in the first ten minutes, and he'd have scored but for a very good save from Carson. He worked really well down the left hand side, cut in a couple of times and made a decent cross once. The other time he won a penalty. He was just a constant problem, was good to see... just like he was in the first half at Sunderland.

Less said about the second half the better. He's woefully unfit.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Given - 6 - Should have stayed in his area. Far more difficult for the striker when the keeper can stretch himself

Beye - 7 - Solid, supplied the 2nd

Colo - 7 - Got done for the goal but other wise good

Taylor - 6 - Talent or liability, still not sure

Enrique - 6 - Got better as the game got on especially distribution. Great turn of speed at the end to usher Miller out of play

Duff - 7.5 - MOM Apart from the goal he worked his arse off, and showed a turn of foot

Barton - 7 - Tired as the game went on but always looks for the forward pass

Guthrie - 6 - Needs to stay more central, especially when against a 3 man midfield

Jonas - 7 - The boy is class. Better on the left

Ameobi - 7 - Won lots in the air, distribution ok/poor. Won the penalty

Martins - 6 - Erratic. Great work rate poor composure

Given - 6 - Should have stayed in his area. Far more difficult for the striker when the keeper can stretch himself

Beye - 7 - Solid, supplied the 2nd

Colo - 7 - Got done for the goal but other wise good

Taylor - 6 - Talent or liability, still not sure

Enrique - 6 - Got better as the game got on especially distribution. Great turn of speed at the end to usher Miller out of play

Duff - 7.5 - MOM Apart from the goal he worked his arse off, and showed a turn of foot

Barton - 7 - Tired as the game went on but always looks for the forward pass

Guthrie - 6 - Needs to stay more central, especially when against a 3 man midfield

Jonas - 7 - The boy is class. Better on the left

Ameobi - 7 - Won lots in the air, distribution ok/poor. Won the penalty

Martins - 6 - Erratic. Great work rate poor composure

Pretty accurate but I'd swap Ameobi and Martins round. Martins scored, burst through a few times and gave us an attacking impetus. Some of his passing and shooting was awry (as usual) but he looked like he had a goal or two in him.

Ameobi is much maligned but he mostly deserves it, he didn't really do anything well. Law of averages dictates he will score occasionally but it's mostly by accident.

I'd also drop Colo to a six, he was pretty solid, building on a couple of impressive performances, but he was at fault for the goal.

West Brom are a good passing side, everything else they are well below par. The pass leading to their goal was the most incisive of the game, but they don't do it often enough and ultimately they will go down as they can't defend either. When they signed Zuiverloon I thought it was a good deal, but he often got caught out and rarely tackled our players. Ryan Donk had the audacity to claim a dive aswell, my word, one of the most stonewall penalties we have saw at SJP this season (and there has been a few!).

I can see why Oba and Jonas were taken off, just coming back from injury and it was no surprise to see a few players tire in the second half. Granted we should have forced WBA to play the ball aorund more in their own half, I am happy with the 3 points and moving up the league. Shola had a decent game, still think he gets more stick because of who he is and that if Martins did a few of his errors he would get light applause rather than scorn. Coloccini couldn't have stopped the ball for their goal and in recent games has looked very accomplished, whereas Taylor is still brash in his play: Tackle on Miller right on the edge of the area, trying to play offside and letting Morrison through on goal just a few to name.

Guest newcastle4life

Got the win that was needed although poor second half peformance. In the end got 3 points and out of relagation zone hopefully still will be after tonights games. Hopefully more points to follow if the team can play well.

Guest Howaythetoon

I was disgusted with the second half performance. WBA totally outclassed us and were unfortunate not to have picked up at least a point. Why are we defending so deep? Awful performance in general. However I'd take them all day long as long as we're picking up points. Well done to Kinnear and the lads.